“Great expectations....dashed.....”
Review of Lucy's on a plate

Lucy's on a plate
Ranked #17 of 121 Restaurants in Ambleside
Price range: US$13 - US$40
Cuisines: British
Good for: Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Description: OPENING HOURS MONDAY TO FRIDAY FROM 5PM LAST ORDERS 9.30PM SATURDAY AND SUNDAY FROM 11AM EVENING MENU FROM 5PM LAST ORDERS 9.30PM Lucy's on a plate has been operational now for over 25 years and offers a unique and quirky dining experience - everchanging but the ethos remaining the same - catering for a variety of different palates - especially popular for the range of gluten free dishes and delicious desserts ... over 30 desserts made on the premises from Borrowdale Sticky Banana Pudding through to Apple and Almond Eve's Pudding as well as innovative and inventive temptations such as Toffee Vodka Cheesecake and Sorbet Sparklers. Ensure you book for the evening menu and you could find yourself mentioned in dispatches-great for birthdays and special occasions - there's a lovely large table for bigger groups (up to 16) and special celebrations are most welcome. Exclusive use with bespoke menus for weddings and suchlike is also a possibility and parties are managed expertly, without destroying the romantic ambience in other parts of the restaurant. The menu is typed daily with a wide range of meat, fish and vegetarian dishes(gluten free again marked clearly on the menus)! Join us for Brunch and Lunch ON SATURDAYS AND SUNDAYS at Lucy's from 11am MONDAY TO FRIDAY Lucy's on a plate opens from 5pm with last orders at 9.30pm (Just Desserts up until 10.30pm). Lucy's chooses local produce to cook in a global fashion. Lucy's is NOT a fast food restaurant, but allows you to enjoy the company of friends, family, loved ones or simply relish the pleasure of being on your own. Dine or drink ... or pop in for your Just Desserts ... you decide, we'll provide. Lucy's is a place that once you've discovered - you'll never forget. PLEASE NOTE THAT LUCY'S IS NOT OPEN FOR LUNCH DURING THE WEEK (Monday to Friday) But Lucy's is open for Brunch, Lunch and Afternoon Teas from 11am Saturday and Sunday - evening menu commencing at 5pm. Christmas and New Year - Open (Booking essential) Pre-booked Lunch Parties of 12 or more can be accommodated on request during the week.
Reviewed 31 March 2014

Had read lots of good reviews but oh dear...it didn't live up to what we had expected at all. Went to celebrate mum's birthday and while they did decorate the table with two balloons and personalise the menu, the food was mediocre and the service dreadful. We waited for wine..... and even for the water- which rather strangely the waiter said he needed to check whether we could have?! Then we waited and waited and then waited for the food. Main course took 1 hour 45 to arrive and then the lamb dish was dry due to overcooking and my steak was freezing. Not good enough at all. So disappointed. I noticed they run a cookery school. .. hmm perhaps they need to send some of their staff.

5  Thank Nadine M

Reviewed 31 March 2014

I don't think I have ever not eaten my food in a restaurant...
As soon as we walked in it went downhill, as a comment was made about being 15 minutes late we were hurried to our table! I was part of a large group yet we couldn't all be sat on the same table, which was such a shame as some of us hadn't seen each other for years, so begs the question why the booking was taken if you couldn't actually accomodate a large group? After asking if we could have a seperate bill from the large group, as some of us drink more than others, this was regarded as 'complicated' and 'not what we do'...
On to the food, I had ordered the Seabass which was nothing but cold and tasteless, after the waitress spilt cream on my coat, and then proceeded to forget my dessert I think it was fair to say, I wasn't having a great time. No coffee was offered, not that I would of hung around for it anyway.
The customer service was just shocking, I think the restaurant was over booked and over stretched. I felt sorry for the smaller group squashed in behind our big party.
I think it is fair to say I won't be going back, sorry.

4  Thank nicholamullin
Lucyonaplate, Guest Relations Manager at Lucy's on a plate, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2014

Nichola, I am sorry that you have reviewed Lucy's in such a negative way and I would very much like to respond, as I remember you extremely well. The party that booked was for three birthdays (you didn't book it - but I liaised extensively with the lady who did) - upon the initial enquiry for this booking it was pointed out to the prospective guest that you could be seated on two tables of 10, or a long table of 20 - our private dining area is a table of 16 which was already booked sometime previously - she preferred to be seated on two tables as it was more intimate and asked if you could 'swap' tables during courses, which was fine as long as everyone preordered from the menu - I asked if she would like to do a table plan for the tables, but she declined. We decorated the tables and provided balloons, cakes and as you say a personalised menu for each of your party - one of the birthdays I gather was your father's. I was quite specific about the timing for your party with the organiser, as we already had three parties booked in on that evening and it was important that timings were accurate for the kitchen. Something, you would or should understand, as I gather you work for an events company in London. Unfortunately, a number of your party (yourself included) were very tardy about their timekeeping and arrived at least 45 minutes after the specified time. You came up to me and 'demanded' that your bill was separate to everyone else's. I said that the bill would be itemised and we would be putting the drinks onto a separate account, if you wanted to pay separately we would be happy for you to purchase the drinks from the bar and as the food was at a set price (as agreed with the organiser) you would know the exact cost. Throughout the evening nothing was right for you, even though you had preordered your food from an extensive menu beforehand and whilst everyone else was lovely - you were most certainly the Princess of the group and didn't they all know it (as a couple of the party told us what hard work you were). I certainly don't think that we provide average food - it was a shame that the knock on effect of your taking up so much of both mine and the rest of the team's time created a problem for some of our other guests that evening. I have written personally to the organiser of the party to express my disappointment in your criticism of us. Coffee wasn't requested but was available and many of your party did have it to accompany the cakes that we made and presented to those celebrating. I just think that perhaps what we do here at Lucy's on a plate, isn't for you and the fact that you see fit to write on such a public forum for the organiser of the party to see is both rude and extremely bad mannered - if you weren't happy then a letter directly to myself might have been a far better approach. You weren't having a great time from the moment you walked in (or possibly before) and certainly didn't attempt to hide your distaste for everything that we did and are. It was the waiter who spilt cream on your coat (which we dealt with and without any marks remaining) after a member of the party had knocked into him - incidentally, your dessert wasn't forgotten - a young lady in the party who hadn't ordered dessert ate the one that was intended for you. He (the waiter) was most sorry and apologised profusely - accidents happen, it wasn't intentional. I think it's fair to say that you wouldn't be welcome here at our establishment in the future either.

Reviewed 29 March 2014

We were looking for somewhere to eat in Ambleside that allowed dogs, having 1st tried a dog friendly pub & discovering that they didn't serve food until later on we practically stumbled on 'Lucys On A Plate' & I'm really glad we did, the lady that served us was really friendly & happy & asked us to find a table in the conservatory side of the resteraunt where people with dogs are allowed to sit, the lady took our order & made a fuss of our dog (which he loved) and we hardly had to wait for our food. When it arrived it was delicious! I really enjoyed the home made chips & really need the recipe for the pea puree! The atmosphere was relaxed & friendly. It was worth every penny & hope to be able to go back soon!

Reviewed 29 March 2014

Ended up in Lucy's because none of the other little restaurants we looked in would take any more covers, not even if we waited. Went into Lucy's and within 5 mins a table was made ready. The food was very nice indeed with good attentive service. We both had tiger prawns and lamb shank, the flavours of both were lovely and in the end we were glad we ended up there. Highly recommended!

Reviewed 28 March 2014

Booked a table as noticed how busy it had been on a number of night. First think I noticed is they had personalised the menu with details of the guests they were expecting, so if you are celebrating let them know and you'll have it in print.

They had a fantastic choice of drinks including wine, prossecco, cider, beer and cocktails to choose from. For starter we had a fish sharer and pate both lovely., not only beautifully presented but also really great taste. Main we had venison and the lamb tagine and bread and butter pudding and chocolate brownie for dessert. The puddings were based on the originals but with a unique twist.

Everything about this place I loved and would certainly look into their cookery courses on my next visit. Would have been nice to put a name to the business but every girl has to have a night off.

It was great and would certainly recommend to others. Added bonus is that i could use Taste card (241) but would be willing to pay full price as it was definitely worth it.