“perfect night........”

Price range: US$1 - US$55
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Groups, Bar Scene, Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly
Reviewed 14 July 2014

Was there 12th July for dinner.....fab food and great to have so much vegetarian variety, cooked to perfection and presented well. The service was excellent and the atmosphere was wonderful. It is a big place and was full, a true reflection that we need more good vegetarian restaurants. It's so tasty even a die hard meat eater would love it!! The Jazz bar was equally as ambient and the band were top class.

There are newer reviews for Zeffirellis

Reviewed 14 July 2014

Rare indeed to find an Italian vegetarian restaurant especially one with an extensive menu. As the meat eater I was wholly satisfied on all levels by my choices as was my veggie wife. The fact that we could eat al fresco with our Jack Russell was an added bonus as it was too hot to contemplate leaving her in the car.

Reviewed 13 July 2014

We ate here after reading and hearing so many positive reviews and we had a fantastic night!! We knew the menu was vegetarian but were happy to experiment! We both chose pizza and both were delicious. We shared a pudding (tiramisu) - also very nice! While we ate we listened to a wonderful jazz quartet - what a treat!! A thoroughly good night out - an experience rather than just a meal out! Anyone who misses out on this place because "it's vegetarian" are very short-sighted and should give it a go ......... You will be pleasantly surprised!

Reviewed 12 July 2014

We have visited this restaurant twice before, but this was the first time we had dinner. Have visited at various points of the year - spring, summer and autumn. Menu needs to change a little and reflect seasonality to get the best out of fresh ingredients available in the area. Starter was the best part of the meal - can heartily recommend the sweet potato wedges and bruschetta. Also the mezze platter - though did not get the rosemary potatoes as per the menu. Could also have used a little more flat bread. Bought pizza for one of the mains - not the best for an Italian specialist restaurant. Quite basic. The other main - lentil ragu was fine. Though a little bland. Vegetarian food only lacks meat, not taste. Sticky toffee pudding was nice - would have been better in a bowl with custard rather than ice cream. From our second visit would heartily recommend the walnut and stilton lasagne. Would return if in the area.

Reviewed 10 July 2014

We went to Zeferellis for the "Movie deal", they have a cinema upstairs. The restaurant was nice looking but when we opened the menu we sat in a stunned silence as we all looked for the main course. On the Zeferelli website they said their other restaurant (Fellini's) was "Vegeterranean" (vegetarian Mediterranean) so I feared I had booked the wrong restaurant and went to ask. The friendly lady that had greeted us as we arrived explained that both their restaurants were vegetarian. I have looked at their website again, I don't see any hint both restaurants are vegetarian, something I would have liked to have I capital letters with "warning: vegetarian restaurant".
Unlike normal restaurant that often have one or two vegetarian options they had no offer for us carnivores, but the lady suggested a couple of dishes we would like. My son had the spaghetti which he said tasted nice ("of course it would have been even nicer with meat"), my wife and her parents I believe all went with the pecan and cashew nut Wellington which I believe they enjoyed. I later wished I had chosen the same as them, but I chose potato gnocchi in a sauce with cauliflower and mushrooms. I had never heard of gnocchi before,after the meal I googled it and found a cooking site that informed me that it was made from potato and flour. The writer warned that it was a difficult dish to get right because it was so easy to fail to get the correct texture and end up with something rubbery or soggy.
In my portion the gnocchi was both soggy and rubbery (the chef had found the magical unbalance) but the cauliflower,mushrooms and sauce tasted nice.
After the main course I asked the waiter if I could have a cup of coffee with my dessert, a request that causes no reaction back home in Norway but in the UK causes great confusion and light distress. (I guess it would be on par with passing the port the wrong way around the table..maybe I should shoot myself?)
He promptly arrived with a coffee, ten minutes later he brought the dessert. My coffee was now cold, I was so irritated by now that I actually asked for a new coffee(I usually try not to complain in restaurants, I just vow never to go there again), which I got, not sure if we got a bill for both, it said coffee 2:20, that is probably the price for one...
Now, I admit my review is heavily colored by the vegetarian surprise and I am sure that any vegetarians or more open minded people than me would give a lot more positive review. But I live in a very rural area in Norway and rarely get to visit restaurants. So to "waste" a visit on a vegetarian restaurant was a really negative experience. Had the cinema tickets not already been ordered together with the meal we would've left and gone over to the Chinese restaurant we passed on the way.
So the review is a bit of a "slap on the wrist" for the vague description on the website. I feel tricked into going to a restaurant I would never have chosen if I knew. Any vegetarians that react to this: How would you feel like if you thought you came to a vegetarian restaurant and discovered EVERY meal on the menu contained meat or fish?
I was the wrong visitor for this restaurant, if they would've been upfront with what they were I would not have darkened their doorstep. I will not make that mistake again.

1  Thank Håvard G