“Was ok” 3 of 5 bubbles

The Rysdale
Ranked #45 of 105 Ambleside B&B and Inns
“Was ok”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2012

The single room was poor, as was the shower room (which was seperate i.e. not en-suite).
The bed itself was unconfortable, and not pleasant.
However, the only thing that allowed this B&B to get an Average rating, was the fact that the Host was great as were the Breakfasts.
Nothing else I can say.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
agacumbria, Owner at The Rysdale, responded to this review, 18 November 2012
We are very disappointed to read your comments. When all our guests are leaving they are always asked if they have enjoyed their stay and if everything has been to their satisfaction.You obviously chose not to say anything whilst you were with us. You mention that your bed was uncomfortable but you do not say for what reason. Too soft?. With regards to cleanliness we find your comment totally unacceptable as we clean the rooms ourselves and know that they are always cleaned to a high standard as noted by other Trip Advisor members and Visit Britain inspectors. Also, that particular single room is furnished with high quality solid English light Oak furniture with a new carpet. Yes, the private bathroom is seperate but is always clearly advertised as being so. Maybe an en-suite double room would have been more to your liking?. We are pleased that you enjoyed our extensive breakfast menu. Dianne and Allan.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Kamakura, Japan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2012

I was satisfied to stay here for four nights.The owner Allan had got a warm atmospher.I could change my breakfast everyday and all fantastic.The location is very close to Ambleside bus stop.You don't need a car like me from Japan.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Nyan-nyan-cyan
Glasgow
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2012

Stayed here for two nights on 26th&27th October for a weekend break. The B&B is ideally situated just opposite the pitch and putt and in short you have no real need for your car once there.Everything is within walking distance. We stayed in the triple room which was a good size and lovely and cosy considering the cold weather we encountered on our visit. The B&B owners were very welcoming and genuine. I had the best sleep ever in the bed, which has great as I suffer from bad back. The bathroom was a shower room but really all you need for a break of this length. Breakfast is between 8.30 and 9.00, which appears par for the course for most of the B&B I've stayed in during my visits to Ambleside but a long lie would have been nice on at least one of the mornings (though in fareness I never asked). Breakfast as lovely and provided a proper vegetarian option and not just a Full English minus the meat. Excellent value for money and would defintely visit again. I would also recommend the meal deal at the local cinema which includes two courses plus your cinema ticket all for £18.95pp excellent value.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank GlasgowPttraveller
Manchester
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2012 via mobile

Friendly welcome, impeccable service, comfy room and delicious breakfast made my stay extremely enjoyable. I was with 4 friends and we all felt the same. The rooms are beautifully appointed, clean and comfortable. The breakfast buffet is well stocked with cereals, fruit and juice. The menu for cooked breakfast options is varied and extensive.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 October 2012

Having stayed here 5yrs ago, when my wife & I planned to renew our wedding vows in Kendal, I had no hesitation in suggesting we spend the week at Rysdale. My wife, who had never been to the Lake District, checked the reviews on this site. I was absolutely amazed that there were any negatives and assured my wife that they were very misleading.
We booked room 9 which is delightful. It's on the top floor & has the most amazing views. Dianne & Allan were very helpful from the time of booking until the time we left. The rooms are spotless & have pretty much everything we needed for our stay: shower gel, hand wash, shampoo, hair drier, fresh towels every day, flat screen tv, tea/coffee making facilities etc.
When we returned from our ceremony, we were greeted with a card, a bottle of Champagne & 2 glasses in our room.
Breakfast was perfect every day. My Father-in-law was unable to make the holiday for the week but managed to drive from Sheffield on the morning of our service. Allan was very accommodating and made him a full English breakfast when he arrived (even though it was after the allotted breakfast time)......top man!
Although there is no car park attached to Rysdale, it really isn't a problem. There's parking very close by for loading/unloading. Allan gave us a pass to display that allowed us to park for 1hr. This restriction is only between 10am & 6pm so caused no problems on the days we went out driving. For the days we didn't use the car, Allan supplied us with a permit for a car park about 2min walk away (hardly a long way for walkers). These permits, that the proprietors purchase, allowed us to leave the car there for as long as we needed.
I'm glad to say, my wife is as hooked as I am & we look forward to going back again in the very near future.

3 Thank bigtrevwhu
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 October 2012

From the moment I arrived at Rysdale I was met at the door by Diane with a friendly welcoming smile, coffee and biscuits along with a lovely lit log fire. My room was Absolutly beautiful. The view was stunning. French white furniture, beautiful crisp white beding, and lovely little extras. Cleanliness was obviously of paramount importance to the owners. My room was cleaned every day,fresh towels and best of all a fresh tin of biscuits each day. Ample tea making facilities too. This was the firsi tme I had stayed away on my own, due to my husband not being able to make the trip. I never felt alone. The home from home comforts made my stay so enjoyable. The breakfast each day was delicious. A fantastic choice. Everything freshly prepared. Allan and Diane could not have been more accomodating. I would just like to say to anyone that may have read the 3 terrible coments, PLEASE take no notice. Anyone wanting a proprietor to get up and cook a full breakfast at 6.30am must be extremely selfish. Breakfast times are clearly marked when booking, my advice is to stop in a hostel. To the lady who's parents run a hotel, sorry but you seriously need to get a life and I can honestly say that this guest house is worthy of the awards. Sounds like sour grapes to me. Complaints about parking? Your on a walking holiday! Walk the 2 minute walk it will not hurt you. Parking was Free for me too.

Rysdale is suitable for singles and couples of all ages. Counting down the days to my next visit. Hopefully with my husband.

2 Thank nikkiefrench
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2012 via mobile

Lovely room, with great views. Clean and comfy. Alan and Diana were very welcoming and made us feel at home rather than at a B&B. Great location for walking. Alan has extensive knowlege and experience walking in the fells, and kindly offered great ideas for walks. Would definately stay again, excellent value for money.

1 Thank Bronboots