“Classic fare”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 1 September 2013

We ate dinner here for the first time, having seen the building many times from the outside: a mid-nineteenth century Grecian villa. Inside the décor is traditional, in that pattern and colour are used liberally. Mint green ceilings are in evidence throughout.

The restaurant was busy with older local couples, suggesting a loyal customer base. It is quite expensive for a regular meal out.

The food was on the whole well done: we had lamb and duck breast accompanied by classic sauces and excellent dauphinois potatoes. However, this came after starters which were less assured. Smoked salmon is difficult to get wrong, but it was a surprise to see it accompanied by deep fried prawns in a very spicy batter, beetroot in vinegar and a salad dressed over-acidulously. Perhaps a different chef is devising and preparing the starters? For dessert, I chose the salted caramel chocolate tart, which looked wonderful but was quite a challenge to eat. Other choices seemed better, although I have never seen crème brulee served with ice-cream before.

There are newer reviews for Manor House Hotel Restaurant

Reviewed 24 June 2013

We received a meal voucher for the Manor House recently. As we had not been for some years I was undecided about what to expect - but what a surprise. The food was delicious and plentiful. in fact after the starter I wondered if I would be able to complete the meal, but no problem as it was so good. The assiette of sweets was a delight. I will certainly be returning and also recommending to friends.

Reviewed 12 April 2013

As a real ale fan I was not looking forward to a formal meal here but an email beforehand ensured a choice of locally brewed bottled ales, although we had to stop them tipping sediment of bottled conditioned beers into the glasses! The food was wonderful and I was so glad I had gone after all!

Reviewed 11 March 2013

yet again myself and family booked the manor house in cockermouth for mothers day dinner it was yet again excellent real good food clean and the staff is very helpfull give yourself a pat on the back and we will be coming back again

Reviewed 2 October 2012 via mobile

Having not been for a while, my husband and I decided to treat ourselves. And what a treat, could not fault a thing. The risotto is the best I've tasted. My husband had the mushrooms which were lovely. Then we both had the fillet steak which was cooked to perfection. The manor house surprise for dessert is a must, so good! Even the wine, Rioja, was lovely. The staff are all very friendly and helpful. The decor could do with a revamp. We have probably tried must of the other restaurants in Cockermouth and for the quality of food this should definately be number 1!!