The Allerdale Court Hotel
The Trout Hotel(Cockermouth)
  • Restaurant
Hundith Hill Hotel(Cockermouth)
View Hotel
Melbreak Country House Hotel(Workington)
The Pheasant Inn(Bassenthwaite)
View Hotel
All reviewspay and displaylots of characterquaint hotelcentre of townour room was spaciousthe ground floorfour postereggs benedictcumbrian breakfastwould stay againbreakfast was excellentblack puddingstaff were lovelylast weekendexcellent stayone night staycouldn't fault
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 9 November 2013

My daughter had travelled from Reading to stay with her boyfriend in Cockermouth ( long distance relationship) for the weekend so I decided to travel from Ipswich to meet them for dinner on the Saturday night, collecting my wife in Cheshire ( another long distance relationship) on the way.

The Allerdale Court Hotel is situated in the centre of town, in walking distance of everywhere so nice. A trip to Wordsworth's house is worthwhile if only to note the oddity of a room with lyrics from a McFly song written on the one of the walls (officially!!)

The room was lovely and previous comments on the friendliness of the owners and staff is absolutely correct. It has a nice feeling of home from home. We had a great time over dinner and late drinks with my daughter with the added plus that I really like her boyfriend.

This establishment is well worth a try just for the homely feel it manages to create but trust me the Full English breakfast is as good as you will find anywhere in the country and I've tried quite a few.

When we return to Cockemouth, it will be to the Allerdale Court.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank John D
Reviewed 5 November 2013

Central town location; good food served in good atmosphere very comfortable and well equipped room with good ensuite facility. Pleasant staff always willing to help. I would highly recommend this establishment for a business or leisure stay

Room Tip: Park car in public car park opposite and pay in the evening when you arrive for the first hour as this will save you worrying about parking tickets, whilst enjoying breakfast! Room 205 was good.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 October 2013

My wife and I stayed here for three nights, Saturday to Monday (19-22 Oct 13). The owners, Kay and Mike, couldn't have been more helpful. Two of the nights were paid for by my company, but I wanted to pay for an extra night myself, plus breakfasts for my wife. No problem for Kay.
In fact every member of staff was friendly, helpful and went out of their way to make sure our stay was enjoyable.
The food was superb, especially the breakfasts. We actually ended up eating there two out of the three nights, because the dinners were so good, and reasonably priced too.
The hotel has a perfect location for exploring Cockermouth too. Room was a good size, well equipped and with an excellent bathroom.
2 minor niggles:
Car parking is a bit awkward. You can park outside the hotel overnight (6pm - 8am) and all day on Sunday, if you are lucky enough to get a spot, which I wasn't always. There is a public car park just over the road, which charges 8am - 7pm, but it can get expensive. The traffic wardens in Cockermouth are extremely keen, and I saw one miserable individual writing tickets out at 8:01 am.
One last very minor niggle. Room 203 gets humid; I suppose people are reluctant to open the windows as it is on the ground floor. Consequently, one of the windows is quite mouldy. It is a very minor point, and it will definitely not stop us returning.
Thanks, Kay and Mike, and hope to see you again soon.

Room Tip: No tips for the room, but watch the door by reception, especially if you're tall!
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 October 2013

Nice clean room, very friendly staff and the best breakfast I have had in a long time!! Dinner excellent and great value. Location was excellent and made the trip really easy. Will be back without question..

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank RussStubbs
Reviewed 1 October 2013

This is our first choice to eat now. Food is fab and not overpriced. Extensive menu without being overwhelming. Lovely atmosphere and friendly staff. Very relaxing. Never felt rushed, just the right time given between meals. Will keep returning.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple