“Run by under 18's.....”

Broughton Craggs Hotel
Ranked #6 of 9 Hotels in Cockermouth
Reviewed 17 March 2012

If like me you purchased a stay at this hotel through Groupon as a gift for your loved one, then my heart goes out to you. I too was duped. This hotel looked stunning on the website and after the long drive, I was looking forward to a good meal, a comfortable stay and hospitable staff. Not too much to ask for you would think. You'd be wrong.

After a disgruntled sixteen year old reluctantly seated us at a table in what could only be described as a shabby dining area, whilst mumbling that they were ready to close, we gave our order and waited patiently for our roast beef and yorkshire puds. The beef was so overcooked I could barley produce enough saliva to moisten it enough to swallow, the yorkshire was burnt to a crisp and our drinks were nowhere to be seen. To add insult to injury the 16 year old waiting staff floating around the dining room were completely disinterested in service and appeared to be held there against their will.
On the whole our room and amenities were acceptable but fell far below the standard portrayed on the website. The one saving grace of our stay here was the lovely gardner Dennis who could not have been more helpful and even recommended a lovely walk which we thoroughly enjoyed.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 23 February 2012

Basic food, but very good food bit like pub grub. Great location, great service, great rooms and you can take your dogs at no extra charge. Great place to chill out after a days exploring in the lakes!

Room Tip: There is a four poster bed room for an extra bit of luxury
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 February 2012

we had a carvery meal on sunday it was beautiful all home cooked food in a lovely homely atmosphere.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 February 2012

We booked this last minute after it was recommended by our friends. We were given the four poster room which was fantastic. We had breakfast and evening meal included in our package. The food was lovely with large helpings and home made chips! Very clean with friendly staff. We will defiantly be recommending this hotel to our friends and family.

• Stayed: August 2011
4  Thank Palmski
Reviewed 30 December 2011

I booked this hotel for my Son and new Daughter-in-Law after their wedding in July. I was intially worried as I had not been to the hotel myself, but after their trip I hope to be able to go in the new year. Here's my son's comments: "The place was lovely, we loved the room, the view, the peacocks and telly were all fantastic. Food was fantastic and very generous portions, too". What more can I say? Lovely - thank you for making their honeymoon special.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Tricia W
Reviewed 26 December 2011

this hotel for lunch was awesome my partner and i took my brother and mother and daughter for lunch on boxing day the service was spot on the atmosphere was great and the meal was awesome it was well worth the price and we are going back hoping to book for my mothers [98th] birthday end of jan 2012 the scenery was lovely the peacocks even showed up in the grounds for a while i would recomend this hotel for overnight stays or just for dinner [ photo,s to follow soon ]

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank she61
Reviewed 19 November 2011

we had our wedding reception here 25 years ago and came back for silver wedding staff brilliant and where even given cakes baked by owners yong daughter i think views as good as i remember room great and food excellent thank you

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cockermouth
Best Western Plus Lake District, Keswick, Castle Inn Hotel
#4 of 9 in Cockermouth
The Trout Hotel
The Trout Hotel
#2 of 9 in Cockermouth

Been to Broughton Craggs Hotel? Share your experiences!