“Good Experience”

Broughton Craggs Hotel
Ranked #6 of 9 Hotels in Cockermouth
Reviewed 23 May 2014

We stayed with our dog for 5 nights - needed to be near Workington for business so ideally situated. We found everyone extremely friendly and helpful. It is family run and they work hard to make your stay comfortable. We stayed in the Coach House as we had the dog, so we cannot comment on the main house bedrooms. Ours was a little tired but very quiet and we had everything that we needed.
Our breakfasts were freshly cooked and delicious - they set us up for the whole day. The hotel is a large country house with sloping gardens to the front and a terrace with outdoor seating to enjoy the view.
Nearby, we found Cockermouth an interesting town and Loweswater and Buttermere stunningly beautiful. Our dog particularly enjoyed the coast at Allonby for his swims - we had the beach to ourselves and enjoyed the views across to Scotland.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank TobyJug999

Reviewed 22 May 2014

A lovely hotel in its own grounds. Very peaceful and relaxing. Staff were very friendly and the food was great. Far from small meals. Peacocks were an amazing feature of the hotel. Room was lovely and a comfortable bed. Food and drink was well priced. Step daughter booked as a surprise for my husband's 60th birthday.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank carol_ikins14
Reviewed 11 May 2014

As the Satnav had taken me on a bit of a detour, I ended up having to ring to get directions. The phone was answered immediately and I was made to feel welcome before even arriving.

The hotel is in a lovely rural location and as you arrive you are met by peacocks wandering around the grounds.

The room did not disappoint as it was traditional with a modern twist and the furniture was obviously of a very decent quality. The bathroom whilst not being the most modern, was clean and big enough to be comfortable.

Please note that this hotel is a family run concern and is slightly quirky but nothing is too much trouble for the staff. A fire was lit in one of the lounges on the evening that I stayed which was lovely for relaxing in with a drink.

The breakfast was absolutely delicious and the setting of the dining room is beautiful, even in the rain!

I would love to return to this hotel, it's not perfect but if you go with the right attitude that you are staying at a place with bags of traditional features in a very good location, you will not be disappointed. It was also so very quiet at night which meant that a good night's sleep is guaranteed.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
4  Thank Debbie L
Reviewed 8 May 2014

Nice country house hotel,in a great location outside Cockermouth. The room was large with tea making facilities and well decorated with wonderful views.The food was outstanding and I stayed for 2 nights.The staff are so friendly and helpful.Open fire in the lounge was a treat and I would recommend the Hotel for a break. Good WIfi connection and ample parking.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front of the Hotel have wonderful views over the country side.Room 11 is one of the bes...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 24 April 2014

My husband and I stayed at the hotel on the 15th October 2013 and found it a joke from the start. Having hotel experience and not wanting to air my concerns in public and feeling that the manager then would not take any notice I wrote a letter to the owner on my return home. Well it was received as I have a signature as proof but even now six months later not even a reply from them. So although some may enjoy it there I feel I must write to highlight their problems. We up graded to the honeymoon suite. Disappointed, water stained furniture, leaking tea made, broken chair leg, cobwebs above the bed, (I even asked the maid to remove them and low and behold they were still there when we departed). Best bit, the plastic bulk head light above the bed, Very romantic! The bar area had tables that were never wiped, fires not lit in all function rooms our entire stay and it was very wet and cold. The tip box, a silver looking ice bucket placed in the middle of the bar and with the TV's on in the rooms really lowered the tone. We dined in that night as after a long journey and the weather it seemed a good choice. The food was average for the price but we were sat in a corner where there must have been a bar at sometime as the decoration and wiring still had not been finished off. We had candlelight and soft music, how romantic but this only played in one ear as the projector screen on the wall had a football match playing. When I asked why I was told the manager liked it on for his football! The breakfast was good and the lady of the house introduced us to her father who explained all the local areas to us. We had a great time that day thanks to their advice. Overall we found the whole hotel tired and lacking tender care. Don't open any desks to look for games or books as all you would find is someones rubbish and take a spare bulb incase you need one.

Room Tip: Ask to see them first before checking in
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
7  Thank 11Jenny
Broughton C, Manager at Broughton Craggs Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 April 2014

Thank you for your comments on your stay in October. I would like to start by apologising that your experience here was not a pleasant one.

Because of your written comments a subjective review of your room was mad and action had been taken i.e. removal of furniture.

At your request about cobwebs, these were immediately removed by myself.

The England game was requested by another guest.

As you noted about the removal of the restaurant bar, there was ongoing refurbishments being made.

Again many apologies for your inconveniences and hope that a return visit you will see the improvements been made.

Reviewed 17 April 2014

Recently stayed here with my family, we all had thoroughly had great weekend, in a lovely friendly family run hotel, great atmosphere and great value for money!
Had our first evening meal here, great quality food and not too expensive and some hotels tend to be.
Worth a visit :)

• Stayed: April 2014
Reviewed 8 April 2014

my wife and I stayed there over the last 2 nights . great location . food excellent. staff especially the manager Dan was top notch . Dan was a workhorse always there for you . There room we were in needed some tlc as did most of the building. if using sat nav stay on the A66 when it tells you to take the 2nd exit at the next roundabout it takes you down a very narrow dirty farm track which doe's eventually gets you to broughton crags . follow the sign for great broughton which is next on the right a short distance further on .

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cockermouth
Best Western Plus Lake District, Keswick, Castle Inn Hotel
#1 of 1 in Embleton
Travelodge Cockermouth Hotel
Travelodge Cockermouth Hotel
#8 of 9 in Cockermouth

Been to Broughton Craggs Hotel? Share your experiences!