“Great Pub/Wine Bar”
Review of 1761 - CLOSED

Reviewed 4 August 2013

I really like 1761, but as a Pub, not a restaurant.
I frequent the place every time I'm out in Cockermouth, but...
I just thought I'd write a comment in case some people who are searching Tripadvisor for a restaurant in Cockermouth actually think 1761 is a restaurant. It isn't, its a Pub.
Yes they serve the odd 'nibble' but its rare you see anyone partaking in these.

So just to make it clear to any tourists or visitors to Cockermouth, 1761 is a Pub, not a Restaurant. A very nice Pub though :-)

1  Thank cruisa_uk

Reviewed 28 June 2013

The staff are very friendly and the Hotel is very clean. When we went into the Pub the girl behind the bar brought over a bowl of water and some biscuits for our dog

1  Thank juliebhorn
Reviewed 28 May 2013

Only popped in for a short time but loved the place instantly. Feels cosy,modern and comfortable whilst offering a large range of very reasonably priced wines , local and foreign beers and food.

Cant wait to go back and try again.

Reviewed 21 May 2013

A very clean and pretty town. The people are very friendly. Sun or rain I find it a very happy place to be.

Reviewed 10 January 2013 via mobile

My boss took us here for a meeting and he ordered from the tapas menu - let me tell you as someone who has spent a lot of time in Spain, it was NOT tapas! White rolls, hummus and bits of plastic cheese and pre-made "chorizo" were all just a joke! Plus it took nearly 40 mins to arrive . To finish I asked for a small jug of water with my single malt - no jugs available only a glass! The staff were surly and indifferent and seemed to be in a bit of a panic that we had ordered something to eat. The beer was fine, but IF you are going to offer tapas- at least try to get it right!

1  Thank andypandypants