“excellent home cooked food”

Wellington Farm Cafe & Tearooms
Ranked #1 of 2 Dessert in Cockermouth
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: Opened in 2005 the cafe is open 10am to 5pm 7 days a week, serving hot meals, breakfasts, freshly made sandwiches & panini's, homemade cakes & tray bakes, afternoon teas, milkshakes (using our very own Jersey Ice Cream), local beers, wines, ciders, our our own home made Wellington Jersey Ice Cream. All of which can be eaten either in our lovely cafe or outside on our terrace which has stunning panoramic views of the Cumbrian Fells. We also have an animal enclosure which has free entry, a play area with outdoor toys and mini quad bikes (payable).
Reviewed 8 July 2014 via mobile

I am very surprised to see the previous review!! This person is obviously very hard to please. I feel sure if there had of been a problem and a member of staff had been informed, management would have been more than happy to sort the problem out. We regularly visit Wellington Cafe on Saturday after a morning shopping in Cockermouth, and as it happens we stopped for lunch Saturday gone. The food is always excellent (never had a reason to complain), the staff are always friendly and clean, as are the toilets! ! I would rate Wellington Cafe the best in the area for home cooked food. Well Done.

DebbieStamper, Public Relations Manager at Wellington Farm Cafe & Tearooms, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2014

Hello,
Thanks so much for your lovely review.

We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed 6 July 2014

A second and eagerly awaited visit for Saturday lunch unfortunately left a lot to be desired. The food was awful stale bread for sandwiches uncooked greasy chips and uncooked centre of the scones! All this probably resulting from two male kitchen staff who did not look old enough to be working at all and who have obviously the need to return to study basic hygiene. Toilets also not clean , dirty nappies on floor . Whilst our first visit was excellent what happened?

DebbieStamper, Manager at Wellington Farm Cafe & Tearooms, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2014

Many for your feedback.

This weekend has been one of the busiest weekends we've had with hundreds of happy customers so I was really surprised to read to your review and find out that you had been so disappointed.

We pride ourselves on the quality of our food especially our homemade real chips and our cakes and scones which are baked in house by our own baker so please accept our sincerest apologies that your lunch fell short of your expectations on this occasion.

Our kitchen and front of house are ran by qualified staff. The lads you are referring to are kitchen assistants who are always supervised by our head cook who has over 22 years experience. They have excellent hygiene skills and are always well turned out and presentable, they are also all conscientious and very hard working so I feel that your comments about them are unjustified and very unfair.

We make regular checks on the cleanliness of the cafe which includes the toilets, however I feel it is unfair to blame us for a dirty nappy on the floor as we provide bins for our customers to use. Whilst on checking our staff would have rectified this situation to ensure standards are met, I have spoken to all staff that were present on Saturday and I’m afraid that no such item was found.

Once again I am very sorry we have not met your expectations and do wish you had talked to us at the time as we could have dealt with the situation then and there.

I hope you will give us another try in the future.

Reviewed 2 July 2014

Used to be a great place when they sold Jersey Cow milk ice cream. Still getting the awards, but not now using their own jersey cream. Not their fault, but the foot and mouth finished the dairy business eventually. We used to be able to order ice cream for home use, but not now. Lunches look popular, but not for us.

DebbieStamper, Public Relations Manager at Wellington Farm Cafe & Tearooms, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2014

Thanks for your review.

We recently took the decision to take our farm in a different direction so unfortunately we no longer own our own herd however all of our ice cream is still made by our family using real Jersey milk and still to the exact recipes as before.

We do offer 4 and 6 scoop take home tubs at all times and we can also arrange for our customers to pre-order larger take home tubs which are made up when we produce the ice cream (which depending on demand is usually weekly).

We hope that you'll give us a try for lunch soon, our new menu is certainly proving popular with customers past and present.

Reviewed 9 June 2014 via mobile

This cafe is set on a working farm and had a lovely outside space. I was sorry it was raining when I visited and I couldn't sit outside. The views from the cafe are lovely. Comfortable seating a mixture of sofas and table and chairs.
I enjoyed a good cup of coffee and some homemade cake.
Ice cream looked good but it wasn't the right day to try some.

Reviewed 15 May 2014

I have eaten here previously on several occasions but haven't been since it re-opened at Easter.
I called in for lunch with my sister and a friend, we all ordered a sandwich which was very nice and a bowl of homemade chips, even though we were a little full you can't leave without having a sweet or an Ice cream so I decided to try the white chocolate and fudge cheesecake which I have to say was beautiful and such a large portion, the cafe was quite busy but we didn't wait long for our food and I will definitely be back.