“Our second weekend of ultimate relaxation”
other travellers have booked this property
Front view of cottage
Front view of cottage Cosy lounge
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Excellent
Cosy lounge
Cosy Lounge
Log Burner alight.
Wall View
The Log Burner on Full Coal, Real hot!
Bedroom
Bedroom
Newly fitted Double shower in Revamped Bathroom
Newly fitted Kitchen
Rear area, however, tree no longer there.
View from front of cottage
Sunset over Allonby beach
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

German first
Any
Mikejthom...
Berlin
“Our second weekend of ultimate relaxation ”
Reviewed 12 September 2016 for a stay in September 2016
people found this review helpful

Our second stay at the cottage was even more perfect than our last! (And that was tough expectation to beat). Chris and Christine are the most wonderful couple - friendly, inviting and conversational - they added a massive welcoming factor to our stay.
As for the cottage, everything was just as beautiful and cosy as we remembered. The decor is gorgeous, with loads of little antique touches that really boast the country home feel.
The welcome treats were much enjoyed again - especially the bottle of prosecco! And the card congratulating us on our engagement was heartwarming.
Everything was spotlessly clean, and the country was so cleansing.

We would like to stress a point in contrary to the review below stating 'Disappointing'. There is absolutely no smell of damp in the cottage whatsoever. As old as it may be it's refurbishments have eliminated all the downsides of century year old buildings. There is a clean, modern yet classic feel to the place. The smell around the apartment is airy and refreshing. Certainly not damp.
Zero mould was seen on either of our stays.
I must say, some people will find anything to complain about - even those which are imaginary.

To end on a positive - this is really the ultimate countryside getaway. Beautiful, pristine cottage surrounded by breathtaking scenery. The area feels perfectly tucked away yet has many amenities accessible in nearby towns. The Mason Arms (just a mile walk away) is a friendly and cosy pub.
This trip round, being the vegans we are we drove to Ambleside to eat at Fellinis for some of the best veggie/vegan fine dining we've eaten so far.
St. Bee's is a stunning location for a long beach walk with the dogs.
Cockermouth is a lovely village to walk around and have a mooch in some antique shops. A bit too much money was spent.

All in all an exquisite weekend. Can't wait for our next!!

Thank you Chris & Christine. :) x

13 Sep 2016
Thanks Michael and Joel for your fantastic review and such positive comments. So pleased you enjoyed your second stay with us. We do take great pride in our little holiday cottage and try to make it seem a real home from home for all our guests. It was a real pleasure to see you both again and to personally congratulate you on your recent engagement. Looking forward to the wedding!! The builder has just been this morning and we are now set to install our log burner in October, something we are very excited about. We then plan to redororate and recarpet the cottage. Although the cottage is neat and tidy, we want to redecorate to put our own stamp on it as it were. Look forward to seeing you both again soon. Once again, thanks for your review, much appreciated. Best wishes, Chrissy and Chris. x
Louise F
“Perfect Country Retreat ”
Reviewed 10 September 2016 for a stay in September 2016
person found this review helpful

Stable cottage is the perfect location for exploring the lake district... cozy, well equipped & spotlessly clean. Christine & Chris are brilliant hosts & the welcome pack included homemade bread, cake, chutney, cheese & a bottle of wine which was most welcome after a long drive! Even Holly the dog got biscuits! The bed was so comfy & everything else faultless! Thoroughly recommend and we will definitely be back next year! Thank you :)

11 Sep 2016
Thanks Louise and Gary for your encouraging words. It was our pleasure to have you stay at Stable cottage for a few days. The weather wasn't too bad either, but can't ever be guaranteed up here. Thanks for leaving the cottage in such a clean condition, always much appreciated especially when we have guests arriving the same day. You will be most welcome to return anytime, just let us know when and we will book you in. Thanks again for your supportive review. Best wishes, Chrissy and Chris.
droopyloo
United Kingdom
“Disappointing”
Reviewed 2 September 2016 for a stay in August 2016
people found this review helpful

Having read what seemed to be endless 5 star reviews for this cottage we booked with confidence. The welcome pack was a lovely touch and Christine seemed very nice (we didn't meet Chris) however disappointment set in when I climbed the stairs and my nose was assaulted by the smell of damp walls. I know the cottage is very old but.......
The wallpaper downstairs was also loose and the curtains were showing signs of mould. I can't abide dampness so this immediately put me off. What really spoilt the break though was a mouse running around the passage and leaving mess in the kitchen - I'm afraid we just packed and left. I know you are in the heart of the countryside but there is no way I'm sharing my space with a mouse! Other, braver souls may not find this a problem, I appreciate I am a bit squeamish about mice.
I feel sad writing this review as so many others have enjoyed the place but I am merely writing honestly about what I, personally, found.

Travelling group: Spouse/Partner
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
3 Sep 2016
Thank you Julie for your review. I appreciate that you do not like mice, but as I explained to you at the time mice are a problem in this part of the countryside, I'm afraid. I will add that since you left, the mouse has been seen, in the garden, caught and removed. As for your other comments; you say you did not meet the other Chris.....unfortunately he has to work and over the summer months has been regularly working at least a 12 hour shift, usually ending at 11pm, so I haven't seen much of him either. He is extremely interested in our cottage and does his fair share whenever he can. It was in fact he who caught the mouse and sorted the problem out. I also note your other comments about being disappointed. I find this a trifle difficult to accept as when we were discussing the mouse problem , I pointedly asked you if everything else was alright apart from the mouse problem and you replied 'yes'. This was your opportunity to voice any grievances then, not after leaving, when we cannot answer for ourselves. On the morning of your departure, Chris tells me he saw your husband and exchanged pleasantries. No mention was made of anything untoward, not even the mouse.....perhaps this was another missed opportunity. As you rightly say, the cottage is old, dating back to 1748 I believe. We are currently awaiting a roofer to do remedial works and then I can start to redecorate. I can see no point in decorating before this. Both Chris and I work very hard to keep our holiday cottage in good condition and pride ourselves in our good reviews. We surely must be doing something right. We have only been in the property for a few months and can only do so much remedial work at any one time, especially as we have been FULLY booked all summer and even into October. I can say, that we are closing down for a couple of weeks in October, to install a log burner and redecorate the cottage, replacing both carpets and curtains. The furniture has already been replaced with new. I really wish you had mentioned all your grievances when given the opportunity. You say you have written your review honestly, I'm sure you have, but to say in one breath that all was alright apart from the mouse and then to voice concerns in a review is a bit poor ..... in all honesty. I can only apologise for the shortcomings which have obviously upset you, but I can assure you, we have had no other such adverse comments. I hope the Via Ferrata at Honister lived up to your expectations. Regards, Christine and Chris.
Lycrafree...
Lancashire
“Homely cottage, lovely setting”
Reviewed 26 August 2016 for a stay in August 2016
person found this review helpful

The owners, Christine and Chris were very welcoming and the 'welcome pack'was very, well, welcome,including delicious homemade cake and chutney.

The cottage is very cosy,with a homely feel to it and the rural setting is very restful. It is, however, quite well placed for access to the coast or lakes, although a car is essential. A lot of the local roads are narrow but the traffic is sparse.

The Mason's Arms,1 mile away in Gilcrux, do very nice bar meals and the staff are very friendly and welcoming.

I would certainly recommend Stable Cottage for a quiet getaway in beautiful countryside.

Value Rooms
Location Cleanliness
28 Aug 2016
Hi Jim and Liz. Thanks for your kind review. It was our pleasure to have you stay at Stable cottage for a few days, especially as you brought good weather with you.Thanks for leaving the cottage neat and tidy on your departure, always a bonus for me! You will be most welcome to return anytime. Best wishes, Chrissy and Chris.
Anne G
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Lovely, peaceful cottage.”
Reviewed 23 August 2016 for a stay in August 2016
person found this review helpful

Chris and Christine very welcoming and welcome pack on arrival very good. Excellent base for a couple wishing to explore area. Trout fishing good fun. Good pub in nearby village. For a peaceful retreat nothing better .

28 Aug 2016
Thanks Anne for your kind review. It was our pleasure to meet you and Fred and have you stay at Stable Cottage, especially as you brought good weather with you. Glad you enjoyed to local trout fishing. You will be most welcome to return anytime. Best wishes, Chrissy and Chris.
becky47Su...
sunderland
“cosy cottage.”
Reviewed 1 August 2016 for a stay in July 2016
people found this review helpful

lovely cosy cottage well equiipped ,Nice enclosed back garden with table and chairs ,there is also a front garden with patio set Lovely welcome pack awaiting us on arrival.Home made bread Walnut and cranberry loaf block of cheese , butter ,small bottle of milk from local dairy A jar of home made jam.and a jar of chutney and a Bottle of wine also some biscuits for our dog .There are some lovely walks ,
Well worth a visit is the Masons Arms in the next village about 1 miles walk They do lovely meals it is dog friendly and have a beer garden .
the cottage is also dog friendly.
A car is a must as this only a small Hamlet and a bit remote but still very nice .Will definitely be back again

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: the peace and quiet
Liked least: nothing
Recommended for:
People with pets
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
William E
“Excellent Cottage”
Reviewed 12 June 2016 for a stay in June 2016
person found this review helpful

Lovely cottage and very nice owners,would definitely stay again.Great location for exploring the Lake District.

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing