“Superb all round!”

Ranked #28 of 74 Restaurants in Cockermouth
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 3 August 2014

I have just returned home from Sunday lunch at Hundith Hill and decided to write a review straight away s I was very impressed!
I had booked a table for 4 as a treat for my in-laws. husband and myself.
I had a phone call on Friday to confirm - impressed at this also. It has been quite a few years since my last visit here but I am well ware of its fine local reputation for meals, so was looking forward to lunch here.
As with anywhere with a good reputation you would expect it to be busy at key times - as it was today, but the seer organisation of the staff and ability to do their job well shone through.
We had a drink i the bar first and they took our order before being shown through to the dining room and our table.
Fabric napkins, and an element of not being overcrowded are nice things to be greeted by initially.
Our starters came very quickly, and were lovely, plentiful and well executed with good presentation.
I had chosen the roast beef for main course, and was very impressed indeed! Lots of lovely roast beef which was tender accompanied by homemade yorkshire puddings, roast & new potatoes, cauliflower cheese and much more. We asked for a jug of water - this arrived within moments, as did the extra condiments to go with our individual meals - again nicely presented in ramekins.
Puddings, were all gorgeous - I had the strawberry cheesecake and was very impressed, both by presentation and the fact that it was clearly home made.
After we had finished our meals we were given the choice of having our coffee at the table or moving through to the lounge. Again, a nice touch.
We were served coffee and home made biscuits in the lounge by another friendly member of staff.
All I can say is that I will most definitely go back - sooner the better! And would not hesitate to recommend this to anyone. Superb value for money in a lovely setting - fabulous!

Reviewed 3 August 2014

The food here is first class. I had the lobster thermidor one night and it was perfect. All my children tried it and agreed that it was the best they had ever tasted. The quality and quantity will satisfy most appetites, and the service is very friendly yet still professional.

Reviewed 8 July 2014

This is a great setting and would be fantastic for a wedding. We visited for lunch. Service was great. The food is typical pub food with real cut chips. Food was fine. The salad was slightly disappointing in that it did not come with any dressings or sauces and presentation was average. Sandwiches were very fresh with soft bread. Lasagne was great. Portion sizes were average. Views are great if you manage to get a table by the window. We visited several restaurants in the area but this was not one of my favourites but certainly no causes to complain - just others are better.

Reviewed 30 June 2014 via mobile

We attended a wedding. Most of the breaded chicken was raw, we complained about this to the waitress and then she approached us that the chef probed it for 83 degrees but when we showed her the proof that it was really raw, she took the chicken from the guest and from the buffet and she didn't put it back. She never say anything about it or even apologize for these. One of the guest sitting with us is pregnant and she don't even know that the food she will eat is raw, luckily she heard about the people on table sating it's raw she asked and showed hers to check and yes, it's raw. She didn't eat it.

Reviewed 13 June 2014

The food is well cooked, and presented. The portions are huge, and it is very keenly priced. I have a good appetite, but have been defeated twice. The rib eye steak is superb, and the staff are very friendly and efficient