“Nice B&B with great location.”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Croft House

Croft House
Ranked #3 of 15 Cockermouth B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Nice B&B with great location.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights as 4 adults in two double rooms - one double room and one luxury double room.

The location of the B&B is a good central location to explore Cockermouth on foot and the rest of the Lake District by car. The space within the car park is limited but we were warned we could use some of the other spaces located around the area of the B&B which is was handy.

We were greeted by Eddie who showed us to our rooms - number 1 and 3. My parents stayed in Room 1 (luxury double) which was on the ground floor, this had a huge bed, two chairs and a desk in the room and also a large bathroom and big tub. Myself and my partners room was Room 3 (standard double) on the first floor which was lovely and large. Big wardrobe with plenty of hangers, including use of two robes, desk, a few chairs, full length mirror, large bathroom (but only had a shower - no bath?) and a large comfy bed. As lovely as the facilities were i have to mention that the walls seemed to be paper thin! we were in bed and could hear the people next to ours having an argument and the tv through the wall, and when their shower was running sounded like running a tap in our room, also someone in the room above seemed to decide that packing their bags at midnight with what sounded like tap shoes on was a great idea!

We did have breakfasts every morning, with different specials each day - Kippers, smoked salmon and scrambled egg, etc. None of us tried the specials unfortunately as we do not eat fish but the normal cooked breakfasts were great! In the menus that tell you what is available also let you know where the ingredients come from in the local area which is a nice touch.

Very reasonably priced (even better if you call up and book - we got discount for three nights and then extra for booking two rooms) and overall a great stay.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Durham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2013

A first class bed and breakfast, the rooms are exceptional and very tastefully decorated and immaculate throughout.
My wife and I stayed for a 3 night break and were realy impressed with this establishment and will definitely be telling all of our friends about this place.
Cockermouth is full of great pubs and restaurants,and only a stones throw away from all of the lakes, bathenswaite is a five minute drive away, the hosts at the croft house are very warm and welcoming friendly people and the breakfasts are better than most high class hotels we have stayed in I would highly reccomend this gem of a place to stay in the lakes 10/10

Room Tip: All rooms imaculate
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2013

After a very bad experience at a local hotel the night before, I'm so glad I was booked in to the croft for the following night. The owner met me by name at the door, chatted to me about my day, local places to eat and the room. I travel a lot for work and hands down this was the most pleasant experience I have ever had. The room was clean and tidy, with a lovely bathroom. The street out side the front is rather quiet so I was able to sleep with my window open which was a rare treat.

The breakfast was also amazing, freshly made, amazingly tasty food, served in a lovely little dining room. I'm an extremely fussy eater and very rather finish a meal but I ate every scrap!

Parking is a bit hit and miss, but unless you are staying at a big hotel with its own car park you will have the same problem anywhere in cockermouth

My advice don't think about staying here, just book it.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank TheCaptainsMrs
South of england
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2013

What can I say! I have never been to a B & B before. But will go again - only to this one though!! Amazing. Rooms wonderful. Eddie is a grand host. Breakfasts fantastic! He moves the Dining Room around every day so 'his guests' sit together. He remembers whether you like tea or coffee and has it ready as you walk it. They do a special breakfast every day or your choice of full english. He keeps a Fridge in the Breakfast room with free bottled water and fresh milk. Enough parking for the rooms.
He has a posh bedroom and a family room (with an annex for little ones).
Altogether a wonderful experience.
Count us in Eddie for next year!!!

Room Tip: If you want to pay an extra £10 go for Room ! - bit bigger and a posh bathroom. If you have two chi...
Blackburn, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2013

Just back from 3 night stay at Croft House which is a wonderful base from which to explore Cockermouth and the the Lake District. Eddie and Barbara are wonderful hosts and have a lovely guest house very tastefully decorated to a high standard. The breakfasts are excellent with wide variety and daily specials, we particularly enjoyed the smoked salmon and egg. The facilities are fantastic, with great attention to detail, everything you need and more ! Our double en suite on 2nd floor had a good sized bathroom with shower and was a very comfortable room even having space for 3 chairs. Overall a really lovely reasonably priced place to stay within easy walking distance of all the shops, places to eat etc, with any stay enhanced by Eddie and Barbara's hospitality and attention to detail !

Chorley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2013

I had a short stay at Croft House in August, everything was just what I wanted, friendly welcome, nice clean rooms and an excellent breakfast. (If the Egg Benedict is on the specials menu go for it!)
The price charged was very reasonable considering the location and quality of the accommodation.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
Carlisle, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Croft Guess House last night (Saturday 24 August). We are just from Carlisle - 30 minutes away, and had been invited to a friends wedding and wanted to stay over.

Eddie the owner met us and took us to our room, Croft House's décor was beautiful from top to bottom. Our room was on the second floor, was of ample size with an en-suite that was large too. The whole ambiance that was created by clever and simple décor was truly welcoming.

The towels were big, white and fluffy, even bath robes in the wardrobe - and cotton wool in a bowl in the bathroom too!

We had a fabulous breakfast in the morning, and Eddie and Barbara made us both feel very welcome.

I have worked all over the world, staying at some of the top hotels in Singapore and Japan, and this little jewel in Cockermouth is definitely in the same league as them, the personal, natural and friendly service you receive from the owners is just the cherry on the cake.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this guest house. A*******