“A must when visiting the Lakes”

Ranked #3 of 15 things to do in Coniston
Swindon, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“A must when visiting the Lakes”
Reviewed 1 June 2014

When I heard I was visiting the Lakes I made sure this was a mountain to achieve!
We started from the town, walked up the copper mines and to the top and we weren't disappointed!
The views were fantastic, the walk was interesting and gave a level of challenge that wasn't too taxing and allowed for stops to explore.
It was busy on the day we went so the mountain itself lost a bit of that isolated feeling that we enjoy when walking... especially when we had to wait for people to walk down past us (as at some points the route narrows).
At the top, again it was busy but the views were fabulous!
We continued along the ridge to Swirl How then down Prison Band, past the reservoir and down past the YHA back in to town.

This is definitely a walk to cross off when visiting the Lakes. Start early to avoid the crowds of families and take a camera!

1 Thank joannacparker

London, United Kingdom
43 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 56 helpful votes
“Excellent Mountain Climb”
Reviewed 31 May 2014

Took 2 hours 40 minutes to reach the Cairn at the peak. Spectacular views of the Lake District. Recommend walking across to Dow Crag and then looping back round the old man to Terra Ferma.

3 Thank Gogs42
UK
28 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 67 helpful votes
“What a view!”
Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

Walked up from the fell road area just above Coniston. The first part of the walk is quite easy but gets far harder once you reach the tarn. The final ascent is hard scree but is worth the effort. Pack a picnic for the top and enjoy a pint at the bottom in the Black Bull!

1 Thank paleninteresting
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Great mountain check weather first”
Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

Great day out summit is lovely and not. To hard for average walkers
Check weather first can catch you by surprise fog etc

Gainsborough, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Breath taking views.”
Reviewed 13 May 2014

We climbed the Old Man via the YHA at Coppermines. I have not done anything like this for years. It was a nice day and the views on the way up were absolutely breath taking. The last bit near the top was a little bit of a harder climb but when I got there ....... WOW ..... it had all been so worth it and the enormous sense of achievement I felt. I was happy that I did not go back down that way and instead walked across the peaks on the opposite side ...... fantastic. My reward when I returned to Coniston, a beautiful steak and some real ale.

2 Thank Gaynor A