“Microwave heaven”

Ranked #11 of 20 Restaurants in Coniston
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 23 October 2010

If you like your food microwaved and nuked to oblivion then this place is for you, along with unattentive staff and very pricey menu aviod it at all costs!

1  Thank oysterdate

Reviewed 3 October 2010

the food was lovely,the service was excellent. everything was very good.
our table seated 15 comfortably and i would highly recommend this restaurant.

1  Thank teenArran
Reviewed 23 September 2010

I never even managed to set foot in the hotel/ I rang to enquire about a table in the restaurant at around 11pm and was told it was told in a very curt manner that if I was to ring back in the morning they might tell us if they have any tables free and it was a most unreasonable time to phone!!!
I assumed that being a hotel and pub that they would be open - well I certainly wont be booking our table of 8 there and will certainly not recommend - first impressions being everything and politeness and courtesy costing nothing.
Incredibly rude.

1  Thank alik3672
Reviewed 28 February 2010

Eight of us ate in the bar of the Yewdale Hotel, Coniston on Wed. 24/2/2010. We were the only people in tha bar that evening so the kitchen shouldn't have been under any pressure. The menu looked appetising, varied and well thought out. We had a very disappointing meal which went largely uneaten apart from the one portion of (frozen) scampi and chips - hard to get that one wrong.
The two portions of fish pie were particularly disgusting and any chef worth his salt should not have sent them out.
We asked to see the owner to express our concerns. He agreed not to charge us for the fish pies but we gave up any thought of any further exchange with him as although his mouth was making all the right noises of apology, his body language was telling a different story.
We had a good meal on Monday in the Black Bull, an excellent meal on Tuesday in the Crown Inn and the butcher sells some lovely meat and sausage should you want to cook in.
Everyone else around Coniston was very friendly and helpful.

1  Thank AyrshireArchie
Reviewed 4 January 2009

While I cannot comment on the accomodation as I only ate at the Yewdale, I would like to record the disappointing experience.
In early January 2007 after a long walk myself and my partner decided to call into the Yewdale for a bite to eat and drink in the afternoon. We ordered soup and sandwiches and drinks. After 30 minutes with no sign of the food I enquired as to its whereabouts as soup and sandwiches should not take too long. I was given an incredulous look by the bar girl who curtly said the food was on its way. A few people were eating but the place was fairly empty. When the soup arrived it was luke warm at best so we sent it back. When it had been heated the soup was bland and tasteless (nearly £4 a bowl) and could only be eaten with addition of lots of salt and pepper. The sandwiches were bland aswell. Although only a snack, we felt the standard of service and food was well below standard.

2  Thank DGeorge27