“Don't be put off going to Coniston”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of The Sun Hotel

The Sun Hotel
Ranked #15 of 19 Restaurants in Coniston
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Groups, Kids, Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Drinks, Dinner, Breakfast, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol
North Wales
“Don't be put off going to Coniston”
Reviewed 27 March 2010

I was nearly put off in Coniston when I read the Restaurant reviews on Trip Advisor but my friends assured me that there we are couple of good eating places one of which was The Sun. Don't get me wrong if you are looking for 5* Fine Dining you can find it in the Lakes but for those of us looking for a good place to spend and evening with friends I would have no hesitation in suggesting The Sun. The Menue was broad enough to cater for most and was not limited to the traditional favourites everwhere seems to offer these days, reasonably priced wines, friendly service and a bit more atmosphere than the local pubs. We had the choice to eat in the Bar area, an intermediate room with traditional oak tables or in the more formal conservatory dining room.

1 Thank Richard-Scott

southport
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“You will never believe me !!”
Reviewed 3 March 2010

I couldnt believe the price of the wine £5.00 for a small and £6.30 for a large!! I have paid less in clubs and top class places! And get this.... on my first visit to the Sun they bar man gave me a 1/4 of a glass of wine and said he would knock 20% off as he had ran out of pinot grigio. I dont understand why he didnt just give me a another pinot grigio! they boast about the wine. There was one girl on the bar all day and night (and there was 30 of us eating and another 20 eating) so you had to wait 20 minutes to get served. and to top it off... the prices were crazy... it was 14.94 for beef with potoato and the pasta was £12.95!!!!!!!!! the veg came so long after the meal that you had already finished !! I think that this hotel is trying to be top class but they just havent got the basics right! We were told by the waiter that becasue the owner doesnt make much money on his posh wines he bumps the prices up on his wine by the glass. Great location though - its just a shame that they have taken advantage of the fact there isnt really anywere else to eat except for the black bull so they can charge what they like... daylight robbery!!!

1 Thank mandymoolar
faversham
“Its obvious why it's not in the Good Pub Guide”
Reviewed 2 October 2009

We ate here because we'd been given a (misplaced) warning about the food in the Black Bull where we were staying.
The pub is modern and attractive although it might have been more welcoming if outside lights were turned on.
The menu here is short and has an impassioned rant on the back about how, after being put in the Good Pub Guide, they were robbed of inclusion by thieving staff and grief in their absence.
They deceive themselves. The pub was poor.
I checked the specials board. Nothing. Nothing special to be had at the Sun then. Mistake.
I ordered the slow roasted belly of pork. It promised vegetables, a bed of mash and a jus with hintsa of lavender.
What I received was a piece of rubbery meat with a tough skin (where was the slow roast crackling, eh? Thats why I like it!) which felt as though it had been boiled. Mash was unpleasant but the jus was more akin to a lavatory cleanser. Nasty.
My real horror was the vegetables. Our troops in Afganistan short of equipment would be advised to visit the Sun and get a dish of french beans. With little handywork they'd make a great substitute for Kevlar. Old, stringy and badly prepared they were served al dente ~ Italian for inedible.
My wife's risotto was gloop.
I wasn't alone in complaining that night. The complaints fell on deaf ears and the waitress simply giggled.
The owners are abviously agrieved their pub doesn't make the GPG and feel it is a matter of fine tuning. Get real. You need to do a lot of work to warrant that.

3 Thank mightybighands