“Nice food, stunning views - all spoilt by appalling service”
Review of The Sun Hotel

The Sun Hotel
Ranked #17 of 20 Restaurants in Coniston
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed 8 June 2010

Ten of us went to The Sun for a meal on Saturday 15 May 2010. The meal (well the courses we were offered) was nice and the view was stunning. The service was a different story. Drinks can apparently not be ordered at the table which means queing at the bar which on a saturday night was packed so it took at least 15-20 minutes to get a round of drinks. We were left for at least 40 minutes after we finished out main course before the plates were cleared. At no stage during the evening were we asked if everything was ok. We were not offered a dessert and had already seen the kitchen staff closing the kitchen whilst we sat and waited for our plates to be cleared. Incidentally by this point the staff were not busy as the restaurant only had a few tables remaining. When I complained about not been offered a dessert the staff simply said "it isn't policy to offer desserts unless guests ask". How they could have served a dessert when the kitchen was clearly closed is another matter. There was not an adult in sight and the place was being run by teenagers who do not really seem to be bothered at all about customer satisfaction.

1  Thank 77KLB

Reviewed 9 April 2010

Now This is sort of a review with a difference as although ive not actually stayed here I have been working in Coniston since last November (construction) and twice a week all through winter up to present date My work college and I have walked the short walk and propped up the bar.
I can safely say that I agree with some of the comments regarding the owners but that staff and people we have met during this period are great fun and are as professional as any other hotel in the area and these guys and gals have looked after us throughout.

The food is pricy yes, but fantastic, the beer prices are cheaper than down the hill Where you can pay £7.00 for two pints but still not cheap.
As for the wine price I wouldn’t pay those prices

“But hey, that’s the lake district for you!”

During this period I have only heard one complaint from a customer who complained about the room being dirty. Unfortunately all the other rooms were full and the member of staff was unable to sort this out immediately as they were the only person working! One person on, was often the case during mid winter but then, on Some occasions my college and I were the only ones in!

Now then, doing the maths and being as honest as I can that’s worked out at around 160 hours sat at the bar (wow! The joys of working away)
In 160 hours I have personally witnessed one complaint not bad! Although, I am, or was only there at a short period of the day during the quiets part of the year but things are picking up now.

Pets are welcome here and there is always a bowl of fresh water for them.
This is anything but a LOCAL PUB FOR LOCAL PEOPLE.
The locals do drink here because it is cheaper than down the hill. The people whom I have spoken to over the months who have stayed never gave me cause for concern or raised an eyebrow when asked how they liked the place, and all seem happy enough.

The great thing is If you want to know about Coniston and the copper mines just get into a conversation with a local and the full history of the place will be happily told to you and its quite fascinating.

Before I Knew Coniston I would flock to the pub in the centre of town but now I won’t go

Because I LIKE IT HERE.

I like the staff, talking to the locals, and the log fire.............. going to miss it when the jobs done
Before I finish............ get this............. There’s an old guy who lives close by called Mack, he comes into the bar every night at 2130 hours on the dot. When he walks in, his drinks and news paper are ready for him on the bar and logs in the basket. If he doesn’t turn up they go looking for him to make sure he is alright.

I only wish I will get that sort of customer loyalty from my local one day.

Unfortunately Mack’s a bit poorly at the moment and hasn’t been in for a week or two but the staff will be ready for him when he returns, and are keeping an eye on him.

Well that’s it,
I hope this gets published because its how it really is and I’m not a local or have any vested interest in the place. Im just a punter been here for a little while.

Reviewed 27 March 2010

I was nearly put off in Coniston when I read the Restaurant reviews on Trip Advisor but my friends assured me that there we are couple of good eating places one of which was The Sun. Don't get me wrong if you are looking for 5* Fine Dining you can find it in the Lakes but for those of us looking for a good place to spend and evening with friends I would have no hesitation in suggesting The Sun. The Menue was broad enough to cater for most and was not limited to the traditional favourites everwhere seems to offer these days, reasonably priced wines, friendly service and a bit more atmosphere than the local pubs. We had the choice to eat in the Bar area, an intermediate room with traditional oak tables or in the more formal conservatory dining room.

1  Thank Richard-Scott
Reviewed 3 March 2010

I couldnt believe the price of the wine £5.00 for a small and £6.30 for a large!! I have paid less in clubs and top class places! And get this.... on my first visit to the Sun they bar man gave me a 1/4 of a glass of wine and said he would knock 20% off as he had ran out of pinot grigio. I dont understand why he didnt just give me a another pinot grigio! they boast about the wine. There was one girl on the bar all day and night (and there was 30 of us eating and another 20 eating) so you had to wait 20 minutes to get served. and to top it off... the prices were crazy... it was 14.94 for beef with potoato and the pasta was £12.95!!!!!!!!! the veg came so long after the meal that you had already finished !! I think that this hotel is trying to be top class but they just havent got the basics right! We were told by the waiter that becasue the owner doesnt make much money on his posh wines he bumps the prices up on his wine by the glass. Great location though - its just a shame that they have taken advantage of the fact there isnt really anywere else to eat except for the black bull so they can charge what they like... daylight robbery!!!

1  Thank mandymoolar
Reviewed 2 October 2009

We ate here because we'd been given a (misplaced) warning about the food in the Black Bull where we were staying.
The pub is modern and attractive although it might have been more welcoming if outside lights were turned on.
The menu here is short and has an impassioned rant on the back about how, after being put in the Good Pub Guide, they were robbed of inclusion by thieving staff and grief in their absence.
They deceive themselves. The pub was poor.
I checked the specials board. Nothing. Nothing special to be had at the Sun then. Mistake.
I ordered the slow roasted belly of pork. It promised vegetables, a bed of mash and a jus with hintsa of lavender.
What I received was a piece of rubbery meat with a tough skin (where was the slow roast crackling, eh? Thats why I like it!) which felt as though it had been boiled. Mash was unpleasant but the jus was more akin to a lavatory cleanser. Nasty.
My real horror was the vegetables. Our troops in Afganistan short of equipment would be advised to visit the Sun and get a dish of french beans. With little handywork they'd make a great substitute for Kevlar. Old, stringy and badly prepared they were served al dente ~ Italian for inedible.
My wife's risotto was gloop.
I wasn't alone in complaining that night. The complaints fell on deaf ears and the waitress simply giggled.
The owners are abviously agrieved their pub doesn't make the GPG and feel it is a matter of fine tuning. Get real. You need to do a lot of work to warrant that.

3  Thank mightybighands