“Brilliant Location and superb food and service!”

Swallows and Amazons Tearoom & Restaurant at Bank Ground Farm
Ranked #8 of 19 Restaurants in Coniston
Price range: US$5 - US$35
Cuisines: British, Healthy, Gastropub, Fusion
Good for: View
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The Swallows and Amazons Tearoom & Farm Shop/Restaurant serves breakfast, brunch, lunch and dinner. We serve light as well as hearty keep warm meals, homemade cakes, luxury ice cream and hot & cold drinks. We also have a great selection of wine and local Lake District ale for you to enjoy with your meal.The view from the tearoom and beer garden across the lake are sensational, it is no surprise that Bank Ground Farm inspired Arthur Ransome to write Swallows and Amazons during one of his stays. Easily accessible to both cyclists and mountain bikers. Many of Grizedale's routes run close by, so come and boost your energy levels and have a light lunch and cake! Bank Ground is on the edge of the lake, opposite the village of Coniston, so you can even arrive by boat! With a footpath on our doorstep, we are also accessible to walkers too, a mere 25 minute walk from the centre of Coniston! The restaurant is open in the evenings, however it is essential to book in advance as we are not open every evening. Occasionally we host events so please check our website to make sure we are open and avoid disappointment.
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Found this tea room by accident a few weeks ago and went back this weekend for lunch. We were so pleased that we did.

The location is breath-taking! You look right down to the lake and sit gazing at the splendor of the mountains.

The food and service really are superb. I had the lake char and it was beautiful. It was serve with a salad of apple,lettuce,fennel and tomato and was cooked to perfection. The cakes were really something too and not to be missed.

It's really worth a visit-but at the moment seems to be a well kept secret!

1  Thank Stephen51

Reviewed 20 July 2014

We stumbled across this tearoom by chance while exploring the area around Coniston Water. To be fair, we probably wouldn't have stopped had it not been for the iconic name, but, having done so, we were so glad that we did. The tea rooms are set on ground running down to Coniston Water (anybody who has read the books will recognise Holly Howe Farm) and, on a sunny July afternoon, you could not find a better spot to sit and enjoy tea and a beautiful home made cake, scone or chocolate brownie. It is well worth the effort to find the tea rooms to enjoy this treat.

1  Thank Geoff S
Reviewed 18 July 2014

I found this lovely tea shop on the internet. So glad we managed to visit on our three day trip to the Lakes. The cakes and coffee are excellent, but the view looking over the lake towards Coniston are outstanding. We'll worth a visit!

Reviewed 14 July 2014

I would definitely recommend this for the tasty fresh food, in a lovely setting which my family and I wholeheartedly enjoyed. Kids (5 and 2) shared a mini ploughmans for £5, my husband had the larger one and he is still talking about it, almost a week later. The star of the show was my roast vegetable salad - I only wish I had the recipe so I could recreate this masterpiece at home.

Reviewed 13 July 2014

Simply beautiful! I have been to Swallows and Amazons Tearoom on a few occasions and each time has been fantastic, however nothing quite prepared me for this visit. My (now husband) and I had our wedding reception at Bankground Farm on 28 June 14, and the visit to the tearooms on 18 May 14 was for the tasting session of the wedding breakfast. I took my mum, future mother-in-law, bridesmaids, cousin and aunt. As I have eaten here before, I knew the food would be devine, however on this occasion (and indeed on the wedding day itself) the food was beyond what I could of hoped for. Tom and Rachel work wonders in the kitchen; the food was presented on beautiful slate plates and cake stands and every mouthful was a taste sensation. To top off the delightful food and great selection of wines and champagne you of course have magnificent views over Coniston waters with The Old Man Coniston in the background. The guys even ordered in the sunshine for us!
A truly beautiful place with remarkable people and fabulous food. Thank you to Jonathan, Tom and Rachel for setting the scene for the glorious wedding weekend that was to come.

Travellers who viewed Swallows and Amazons Tearoom & Restaurant at Bank Ground Farm also viewed

Coniston, Duddon Valley

Coniston, Duddon Valley

Been to Swallows and Amazons Tearoom & Restaurant at Bank Ground Farm? Share your experiences!