“Honeymoon picnic cruise”

Steam Yacht Gondola
Ranked #3 of 16 things to do in Coniston
Reviewed 21 August 2014

Our friends bought us a picnic cruise as a wedding present and we thoroughly enjoyed it. There was plenty of food: sandwiches, a cheese tart, fruit, scones, jam and clotted cream. Lovely way to spend an afternoon.

1  Thank almostahawk

Reviewed 17 August 2014

These days I feel that the Lake District employs a continual assault on me, marketing products at me from billboards as if I'm in a city. The steam-boat gondola was pleasantly counter to this.
We got 20 percent off booking online but I'm knocking a star off for the stress of the texted tickets not behaving as planned and the inevitability of not being able to print off tickets in a hotel.
When we arrived at the jetty the staff aboard the gondola could not have been more friendly and scrutinised the text before declaring themselves satisfied
Wrap up as the trip is inevitably breezy even in August. What a peaceful experience it was! I'd love to do the full lake tour in the afternoon. There was a bit of commentary, not too much to spoil the quiet. My complaint, it did not last long enough, could have stayed on all day.

Reviewed 14 August 2014

We booked the Virgin Experience on the Steam Yacht Gondola and had a wonderful sail the length of Lake Coniston. The picnic hampers from the Bluebird Cafe were amazing - tasty sandwiches, savoury tart, scones with clotted cream and fresh fruit. Excellent presentation. We were lucky with the weather but there is only a small area to sit outside forward and aft. The inside areas are comfortable and there is information on the rebuilding of the Gondola and other interesting facts in the 5 Files in the library ! Super crew and altogether a thoroughly enjoyable afternoon !

Reviewed 13 August 2014 via mobile

My boyfriend and I pre booked tickets on the gondola and as NT members we got 20% off the price of our trip, we were pleased that NT have introduced this to benefit their members. We chose the half lake cruise as we had a walk which we were doing in the afternoon. A lovely crossing on a rather windy day, with a nice amount of information given by the captain and also a very friendly team. Looking forward to another jaunt at a different time of the year!

Reviewed 12 August 2014 via mobile

Me and my partner hired the gondola for a champagne reception treat to our guests after our wedding at the waterhead hotel which if you organise with the gondola team will collect you less than ten mins walk from the hotel. Most of the guests were unaware of this treat and to see their faces as we cruised the lake on a glorious summers evening was a gift to ourselves also!the gondola can hold around 65 people but as we hired it for two hours we split the group and did 2 50 min cruises which the team were happy to do,they liased with us to have our drinks on board and hired glasses from the bluebird cafe and the gondola team collected these at their drop off. I cannot stress just how great this trip was,from grand kids to grandparents everyone absolutely loved it! The cost at £745 for two hours is more than reasonable for exclusive use and me and my bride even got to have a steer of the gondola! The weather certainly helped make this trip but the first time we went on gondola was a typically wet lakes day yet we still simply had to have it for our special day! Thanks to all!!