“Great Birthday Weekend”

Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Coniston
Preston, United Kingdom
“Great Birthday Weekend”
Reviewed 22 March 2013

The Sun Hotel was excellent. Great food, friendly staff and a hotel with superb outlook over the marvellous Coniston countryside.
A mecca for lovers of real ale and some of the best walking routes in the country right from the front door.
We will be back.

Nigel & Linda P

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Carlisle
Reviewed 10 March 2013

I couldn't give this place any more praise. The location is fantastic, it's a ten minute walk from Coniston Water and in the ideal place for a walk up the Old Man.
For the price I was shocked at how nice the rooms are and how big the bathroom is!
The owners were very welcoming and everyone seemed very friendly.
Writing a review doesn't really do any justice. Just go and experience the hotel and the scenery!

Room Tip: We stayed in 7 and 8.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TommmmyD
Bingley
Reviewed 28 February 2013

Just stayed here for a weekend. If you fancy a pint after a walk on the fells then the bar is great especially in winter with the lovely fire. However, we found the area leading to the rooms and the room itself very tired and drab and as soon as I entered the room I wanted to leave. Breakfast is served in the conservatory and on a February morning you needed to wear your coat as it was freezing. Food took ages to arrive and everything on the table was grubby or sticky; service wasn't great either. I could go on but just read the other 'terrible' ratings and I completley agree with nearly all of it. I can't really blame thestaff as there isn't enough of them and I never saw the owners. Strange people either love it or hate but for me total waste of time and money and I shall never return, sorry.

1 Thank Jayne M

Travellers are raving about these Coniston hotels

Preston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 February 2013

We stayed here 23 feb 2013 and had an amazing time. our room was spacious and very clean with geat views. the staff were very helpful and the food was fantastic. we had evening meal and breakfast at the sun and could find no fault at all. we plan to return in the near future

1 Thank pl4eva
Lincs
Reviewed 25 February 2013

Popped in for some food and a pint on a busy Saturday afternoon. The beer was excellent and we really liked the relaxed surroundings of the main bar. Unfortunately there simply were not enough staff to do the job properly, 1 bar man and about 40 people to serve, felt sorry for the guy who was doing his best. Not sure what the food was like as it was too busy to attempt it!

Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 February 2013

We stayed at the Sun Inn at Coniston for two nights in February with our 4 year old son.
The hotel is stunning inside and out, and we were lucky enough to get the family room which had a big bay window, offering fantastic views. The room had a king-size bed, and a set of bunk beds, en-suite with overhead shower onto a massive corner bath. The towels were soft and fluffy and the bed was one of the most comfortable I have slept in, my hubby stopped in the bunk bed for a couple of hours and agreed they were very comfortable too.
Breakfast was so filling and tasty, cereal, yogurt followed by full english or you could vary it to whatever you wanted, my son had boiled egg and soldiers one morning after rice crispies.
We ate in the pub one of the nights and the food was absolutely delicious, all the ingredients were fresh and it showed the place was packed out.
Staff and owners were friendly and made us feel very welcome, we will definitely be going back .

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
Alveston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 February 2013

I stayed here in a single room with my dog who was welcome. I was with a film crew the first day and off seeing friends the second and third, so only had one lunch there which was very good. The bar and the hotel were very quiet, being February. The conservatory looks newly kitted out and this looks a nice place to have a meal in the summer.
Breakfast starts at 8.30, but you can have cereals earlier by arrangement.

Room Tip: I was in room 6 which is a smallish single room (en-suite) overlooking the village, but not overlook...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Michael E
Also consider these accommodations in or near Coniston
Black Bull Inn and Hotel
#6 of 12 in Ambleside
Damson Dene Hotel
Damson Dene Hotel
#1 of 1 in Crosthwaite

Been to The Sun Coniston? Share your experiences!