“Terrible service and poor food”
Review of The Sun Coniston

The Sun Coniston
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Coniston
Reviewed 2 August 2014

Myself and two friends went for Sunday lunch. We each had different meals all of which were served at different times, mine first, one of my friends 10 minutes later and my other friend a grand total of 50 minutes later, despite us being on the same table. The food quality was poor, I had the veggie option which was a sweet potato filled with beans and blue cheese, unfortunately it was bland, had little cheese or beans. My friend had sausage, mash and veg which was given to her cold. When I spoke to the waitress about the delays between the course I was given a hostile response and told that it was our fault because we had moved from a table outside into the conservatory despite me having told them just after we ordered. I also asked for cutlery which didn't appear and then went to the bar where I waited 5 minutes to ask for again, needless to say I didn't receive an apology. In short - poor service, poor food.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank ems203

Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

We are regular visitors to Coniston and have stayed at the black bull many times and once at the crown...The Sun is by far the worst!!! We have just returned from a 3 night break here with our springer spaniel! I booked by phone and was quoted £260 for the 3 nights inc the dog, by bar manager, Karl. When we checked out, we were told "oh no it's £10 per night for the dog, not per stay" my first gripe! The room was in desperate need of some TLC!!! We must have stayed during the hottest nights of the summer, so far, and you wouldn't believe the bed cover was a thick winter duvet...much too warm for summer! The curtains were not black out ones, so at sunrise the bedroom was light and woke us up about 5am each day! The kettle in the room was "black" inside, someone had obviously switched it on without any water in it!!! Now, breakfast...well the full English was very nice, when it finally arrived! Breakfast was served between 8.30-9.30am, we used to go down about 9ish. There was never any orange juice left or any coffee in the pot!!! You were made to feel as though you were putting them out if you asked for any!!! Anyway my final gripe...they need to get a gardener, and return the gardens to their former glory! We will not be staying at this hotel again!!!!

• Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank Kazcoop
Reviewed 20 July 2014

Stopped here for lunch, food was ok but nothing special. My lamb sandwich was very fatty and a little tough. My partner had salmon salad which was slightly better but the salmon was very overlooked

Nice views sitting outside and good beer. Staff a little lacking in personality however. It's a shame as the location and the decor inside is very good.

There are better places to eat in Coniston and I would not rush back.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 June 2014

stayed for 3 nights yes it could do with some TLC but on the whole it was a very nice stay breakfast was good had one meal at night and it was fine Husband loved the real ales in the bar found all the staff to helpfull and yes some of the outside tables are a bit tatty but not suprised given the weather the lakes have this is the first time we have been to the lakes and it did not rain

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LINDY N
Reviewed 22 June 2014 via mobile

Went here after a hike with family absolutely famished. Followed the signs and should have just retraced our steps. It was a very hot sunny day and there were no outside tables with any shade or umbrellas. After moving 2 decrepit picnic tables together under some trees, we ventured in to order. The menus were hard to find and on quick review no real lunch menu and very overpriced menu. Placed our orders and then was told we'd have to retrieve our own food from the restaurant as the wait staff couldn't carry food down the steps into the garden. When we were summoned the food was passable. Beef pie was loosely covered with a layer of browned off puff pastry. To top it off they forgot part of our order and insisted we hadn't paid for it. No apologies. Stay away and avoid!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank CdnBourne
Reviewed 15 June 2014

Haven't eaten here for a while, after hearing good reports about the food we decided to give it a go. The service was fantastic, very friendly and prompt. We didn't have to wait very long before our food was served, the presentation was superb and the taste, even better! I had the chicken curry which was just perfect a slight kick but not too much for those who don't like a lot of spice. My parents had a sea bass special and the steak and ale pie off of the menu and again couldn't pick fault with any of our meals, the steak pie melted in your mouth and as for the sea bass, my dad said it's the best he's ever had.
They are really turning the place around and i would recommend any one to pop in here!
a big thankyou to the staff and the chef's Nathan and Stuart for such fantastic service ... we will be back !

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We recently stayed at The Sun and on the whole enjoyed our visit. The new chef is producing some excellent food and the Hotel is clean but needs decorating and the garden, especially some of the furniture needs attention.All the staff we met were very helpful and polite apart from the young man who was on duty when we arrived.He was very abrupt and when we asked him to repeat directions to our room he was quite off-hand.We were on the top floor up two flights of stairs but there was no offer of help with our luggage,something that has always occurred at other places we have stayed.Although we love Coniston we probably wouldn,t stay at The Sun on a future occasion.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Philip C
Also consider these accommodations in or near Coniston
The Yewdale Inn
The Windermere Hotel
The Windermere Hotel
#20 of 20 in Windermere
Applegarth Villa and Restaurant

Been to The Sun Coniston? Share your experiences!