“excellent”
other travellers have booked this property
The barn. Tyan is the upper floor and has balcony and conservatory
Stunning uninterrupted view out to the Coniston mountains TYAN (upper) lounge/diner
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Excellent
The barn. Tyan is the upper floor and has balcony and conservatory
Stunning uninterrupted view out to the Coniston mountains
TYAN (upper) lounge/diner
TYAN (upper) - kitchen. Complete with dishwasher, washing machine, fridge and freezer
All you need for a dinner party - TYAN
TYAN (upper) kitchen
TYAN - double
Open plan living in Tyan
TYAN (upper) - peacock double
TYAN (upper) - family bathroom.  There is a separate toilet too
Who needs to go out?
YAN (lower) - master ensuite double
Dining room in Tyan looking through to kitchen
Full 25 acres of Coal Yeat estate - your own playground
The local's walk - The beacon overlooking Coniston Water. 15 min drive from Coal Yeat
Tyan's garden.  Stable for storage of bikes etc.  BBQ and sunloungers too
Views from Coal Yeat
Tyan's Garden
Shared games room
Coal Yeat Tarn with Coniston Old Man in background
Pure escapism.  Coal Yeat circled.  Yet only 10 mins from the market town of Ulverston
Beauty all around
The fell road  - your entrance to Coal Yeat
No filter - these are the Coal Yeat skies
Again, no filters, just nature showing off
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Anita H
Devizes, United Kingdom
“excellent”
Reviewed 12 September 2014 for a stay in September 2014

I had the most wonderful stay in this exceptional cottage. Highly recommend it. Left today and missing it already.

Liked best: the location
Liked least: upstairs accomodation needs carpeting to cut out noise from above tenants
Friends getaway Large groups
People with pets
steve j
Bridlington, United Kingdom
“excellent place to stay”
Reviewed 10 September 2014 for a stay in August 2014

Coal Yeat is Amazing, fabulous, luxurious. Emma was a extremely help and was very friendly, we even check in early on the day. They where 6 adults, one 5 year old and a 1 year old. We where ok to bring a blow up bed and a cot.
In a tranquil area with nothing but green fields and animals it was so peaceful and relaxing, we were greeted with home-made bread, cake, tea, coffee, milk and a bottle of wine, what a nice touch. the kitchen was extremely well equipped, with 8 of use we did not have a problem, we hope to be able to go back to the lakes again within the next two years and will be going back to Coal Yeat.
A big thanks to Emma as she made all the difference to the stay

Travelling group: Extended Family
Your age range 50-64
Friends getaway Older travelers
Families with young children People with pets
Jon B
Louth, United Kingdom
“Good, but a little misleading”
Reviewed 24 August 2014 for a stay in August 2014
person found this review helpful

We booked Yan and Tyan cottages for a party of 10 adults, one small child and 3 dogs in August. Booking was simple and all contact with the owners was immediate and straightforward prior to arrival. The cottages are in a nice location, which apart from the last two miles of single track road are easily accessible from main routes (but do not rely on sat nav, as explained in the detailed directions post confirmation).

The main thing to be aware of is that none of the photographs on the website accurately show the proximity of the owners house, which is literally a stones roll away from the two cottages with a shared courtyard and parking area to the front (and Tethera in equally close proximity behind), so at the very least you will be spending your holiday time here close to the neighbouring family living their daily lives, hosting their own visitors and enjoying their own parties.

In our opinion, this detracted slightly from the remote, hideaway location promoted and expected. All the adults and children we saw were friendly and polite, but the proximity to other activity - especially during school holidays - may come as a surprise to other travellers expecting to get away from it all (especially younger children). The adjacent house also obscures the views advertised, which are simply not as uninterrupted as shown from within the cottages and garden areas themselves.

In our experience, the cottages are well equipped but perhaps not ideal for the maximum capacity promoted as the rooms are relatively small inside for large groups (although additional storage spaces are available for pushchairs, cases and extra food/drink). In Tyan, the small single bedroom is off the main sitting/dining/TV room and away from the other two bedrooms which is perhaps not ideal for bedding down younger children at night.

Wifi connectivity was intermittent on occasions and if staying in Tyan alone, you will have no access to the BT Homehub downstairs to reset if required.

If travelling with dogs, we would also advise keeping them on leads at all times. Again, the owners have their own dogs roaming freely (within the Tyan garden on occasions) and our young Beagle was bitten on arrival and left with a blooded marking on one ear as a result of the greeting. The wooden fence in Tyan abuts a rocky outcrop in places allowing a relatively easy route of escape into open fields beyond for more active dogs. More a case of dogs welcome, rather than dog friendly, in our opinion.

Access in to and out of Tyan cottage also requires navigating some low level guttering too, which again drew blood more than once!

Some of these points may seem a little harsh, but the website already promotes the good bits about the location and surrounding area. Our experience may help to manage other visitors' expectations on arrival given the cost and effort involved in finding Coal Yeat but you should still enjoy a good holiday here, as we did.

Travelling group: Large Group
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
Management Response
26 Aug 2014
Hello, I am so sorry hear you were disappointed with certain aspects of your stay. I would like to think that all our guests had a lovely experience when staying at Coal Yeat; however I am a realist and know that this may not always be the case. We have taken this review very seriously and endeavour to learn and improve from this and indeed all feed back whether that be good or bad (although thankfully it appears the vast majority of our guests thoroughly enjoy what Coal Yeat offers). This is the first negative review we have encountered and it has really made me think.
Firstly and for me the most disappointing, was that our house guests and dogs disrupted your stay. I can only apologise for the terrible way our dog Quiver, “welcomed your dog”. She is normally in her kennel when guests are present as she does get a little jealous. Unfortunately, we were also ‘dog sitting’ for my brother, so had two more dogs than is the norm at Coal Yeat. I am so sorry my brother’s Great Dane Saffie upset you. If only you had mentioned your fear of her I would have kept her inside. As soon as I learnt of your dislike of her, I kept her locked away. Upon speaking with you I can understand why you would write about the dogs and again I can only apologise.

We are very receptive to guests and will do anything to ensure you have a great time. I believe my husband asked if our party in the games room would bother you, it was felt you didn’t mind. If only you expressed any doubt we would have kept ourselves tucked away. It was an unusual week and we did have more than one set of house guests as we were tied to Coal Yeat due to the dog sitting. In hindsight we should have kept ourselves more to ourselves, especially as you had booked both properties.

I wish that I could wave a magic wand and ask guests to let us know what they are looking for / not looking for when they book. We know how important being happy in accommodation is, so if people ask about our proximity to Yan and Tyan, I never fabricate the truth. A lot of people appreciate the fact we are ‘around’ and I always try to be professional and unobtrusive. Normally we can read guest’s ‘vibe’ and are more than happy to leave guests to their own devices, but for those who want to chat and learn more about Coal Yeat and the area, we are happy to embrace guest. Indeed we have many of our returnees many who are now friends.

I can now understand that our own guests impacted on your stay. I can only apologise and ensure that this is not the norm. Also, I appreciate you would not want to appear to ‘whinge’, but a quiet word would have ensured exclusivity was resumed.

Upon departure you alerted me that the batteries had gone and that the washing machine was not working, again I am only on site and could have rectified these immediately.

As mentioned, this review has upset me as I give 100% in providing a quality cottages and service, but I am glad that you did enjoy your stay, despite the points raised. I thank you for all your comments as all feedback is valid, and this has certainly made us think and take action.

Emma
Lori P
“so wonderful”
Reviewed 8 August 2014 for a stay in August 2014

My husband and I just spent a week at Coal Yeat. We arrived to a spotless cottage with fabulous views of the Lake District. Everything was wonderful right down to the welcome package of wine, cookies, butter, milk, bread and tea. The cottage is well stocked and so comfortable. We would highly recommend Coal Yeat.

Travelling group: Spouse/Partner
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 July 2014 for a stay in July 2014

Jess L
Bakewell, United Kingdom
“A tranquil and beautiful setting”
Reviewed 1 July 2014 for a stay in June 2014

I stayed for three nights in Tyan cottage with my husband, mother, and her partner. The view from the apartment was simply stunning, and Emma ensured we had everything we needed for our stay (including milk, butter, and even a bottle of wine!). Emma clearly has a great sense of style, as the apartment was fitted out to perfection. There was quite literally eveything you need, including an incredible amount of kitchen utensils (one thing I often find there is never enough of, but Emma has thought of everything)!

The apartment is quite rural, but its a great base for exploring the Lakes and very close to Ulverston and not too far for Cartmel (our favourite place), and I doubt you could get better views anywhere else.

Thank you for sharing your lovely cottage with us! Whilst my mother and her partner returned to Canada, my husband and I will certainly be back!

Travelling group: Extended Family
Your age range 25-34
krisbarne...
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Perfect Cottage!”
Reviewed 7 May 2014 for a stay in May 2014

I stayed here with 5 friends and it was perfect! Easy to find, despite being out in the countryside; the decor and furnishing is modern and stylish. It's warm, cosy, and has a flatscreen TV, DVD player, playstation and lots of boardgames (I'd recommend Party & Co, so much fun).
It's easy to get around from Coal Yeat, we didn't have a car but Ian the Taxi driver was amazing! He gave us so many tips and advice on what to do, the man is a legend.

Highly, highly recommended!

Recommended for:
Friends getaway Families with young children
Large groups People with pets
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing
;