“A Lovely Little Hideaway”
other travellers have booked this property
The barn. Tyan is the upper floor and has balcony and conservatory
Stunning uninterrupted view out to the Coniston mountains TYAN (upper) lounge/diner
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Excellent
The barn. Tyan is the upper floor and has balcony and conservatory
Stunning uninterrupted view out to the Coniston mountains
TYAN (upper) lounge/diner
TYAN (upper) - kitchen. Complete with dishwasher, washing machine, fridge and freezer
All you need for a dinner party - TYAN
TYAN (upper) kitchen
TYAN - double
Open plan living in Tyan
TYAN (upper) - peacock double
TYAN (upper) - family bathroom.  There is a separate toilet too
Who needs to go out?
YAN (lower) - master ensuite double
Dining room in Tyan looking through to kitchen
Full 25 acres of Coal Yeat estate - your own playground
The local's walk - The beacon overlooking Coniston Water. 15 min drive from Coal Yeat
Tyan's garden.  Stable for storage of bikes etc.  BBQ and sunloungers too
Views from Coal Yeat
Tyan's Garden
Shared games room
Coal Yeat Tarn with Coniston Old Man in background
Pure escapism.  Coal Yeat circled.  Yet only 10 mins from the market town of Ulverston
Beauty all around
The fell road  - your entrance to Coal Yeat
No filter - these are the Coal Yeat skies
Again, no filters, just nature showing off
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Reviews from our community

Any
Lauren S
Basildon, United Kingdom
“A Lovely Little Hideaway”
Reviewed 11 August 2015 for a stay in July 2015

My boyfriend and I stayed her for 3 nights. Unfortunately we wasn't ever so lucky with the weather but the cottages were lovely. We stayed in Tethera for our stay. It was very homely and cosy. It had everything that we needed. On arrival we were greeted with some freshly made tiffin which was delicious, some eggs from the "girls" (chickens) which too were very delicious, bread, butter, tea, coffee, milk and a lovely bottle of wine. It was a very nice welcome.

The view from Tethera was lovely, overlooking the mountains. The cows and Billy the bull grazing outside (the garden is fenced off). They were no trouble at all. It was lovely to see them roaming around.

Tethera was very well equipment, we needed for nothing. It was like home away from home. Unfortunately we didn't get to use the fire, it just wasn't cold enough. Tethera was lovely and warm. The bed was very very comfortable. There were games, books & dvd's to use. We couldn't ask for any more.

The cottages are in the middle of nowhere, which is part of the reason we decided to stay there. It's tranquil and relaxing. We didn't really get a phone signal on O2 or EE but that wasn't a problem for us. You do get provided with free wifi, and sky tv. There is a games room there but we just didn't get time to use it. Do not follow your satnav, it will try and take you down a public footpath as Emma advises before your arrival. The couple of miles leading up to the cottage is a narrow single track lane, but over our stay and being in and out every day we only met one other car on the lane.

We met Emma on arrival and when we left. She is a very friendly lady. We were out most of the day exploring the Lake District so didn't see an awful lot of Emma but that wasn't a problem. We knew where she was if we did need anything or had any problems, which we didn't. Emma does live on site with the cottages. After our stay I have seen some negative comments about Emma living so close to the cottages but I really don't understand why that is a problem, after all they are her cottages. Emma wasn't any problem to us at all. She just let us get on with our own thing which was fine by us.

We would definitely recommend Coal Yeat and would stay there again.

Thank you for a lovely stay.

Marie T
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“A perfect week for us all, including the dogs!!!!”
Reviewed 8 August 2015 for a stay in July 2015

We are always a little apprehensive on arrival to our accommodation wether that be in the UK or overseas, however what greeted us was beautiful. Emma and family were away on holiday but we were welcomed by Emma's dad who gave us a warm welcome and introduced our children age 11&8 to the farm animals and from this they went on to feed and water the ducks every morning and visit the chickens and pigs.
The property was just perfect, home from home and so cosy. It had everything you could possibly need and more. Very clean and presentable. A lovely fresh home baked cake awaited us, milk, bread and a bottle of wine with a card from Emma welcoming us.
We had a great week with lots to see and do.
The Dogs had a great week too, lots of free space to run around. The conservatory is perfect for a cage where the digs can sleep AT NIGHT, certainly not during the day as it gets very warm in there. We didn't leave the dogs unattended apart from one occasion in the evening when we popped out for food, but even then we put the cage in the kitchen where it was cooler.
I'm appalled at the above review which suggests Emma is rude and has no customer service skills, please if you are reading my review, don't let that review have any impact on deciding to stay at coal yeat. You won't be disappointed if you stay here..... Infact I'd have liked to stay longer, I didn't want to come home which is a rarity for me as I'm normally eager, after a week to go home from any holiday destination.
W e are pleased we got to meet Emma and her family on their return from holiday and also Milo their lovely dog who immediately made friends with our dogs and played great!!!!!
We are already in the process of looking to book a Easter break in 2016 here with friends.

Thanks again Emma for a great week in the lakes.

Travelling group: Young Children
Management Response
9 Aug 2015
Thank you so much for your kind words, it makes me so happy that people have enjoyed their stay and take the time to share with others.

I was so very hurt by the previous review and now so very happy to be reading yours. Despite so many happy guests, thank you gifts and returnees, it saddens me that negativity often overrides!

I strive to make Coal Yeat a happy welcoming place and love the fact that you embraced not only all Coal Yeat has to offer, but also the hidden gems of the Southern Lakes.

Thanks so much and we hope to welcome you and the girls back soon.
BethanyRT...
“lovely place however sadly unpleasant owner”
Reviewed 19 July 2015 for a stay in July 2015

I will start start with the good points.. The location is lovely and the vieiws from our appartment (tyan) were stunning. The inside was modern and contemporary especially the kitchen. Few signs of wear and tear but this is to be expected.
We sadly felt the property was way too close to the owners property for our liking, less than a stones throw away.
On the second day my boyfriend became awfully ill with a sick bug which wiped him out for the whole day. The next day we needed to go and get him some supplys and basic food to help him recover. Archie our dog would have had to wait in the car which we didnt want to do. So instead we had to leave him back at the house only planning to be away for up to an hour. Because of the dog he is we had to leave him caged or he would wreck anything in the room. This was a massive mistake as the weather quickly changed heating up the room. Being longer than expected due to sam being ill (I am not insured to drive the car) whilst we were out we received a call from emma notifying us of this. She was upset as could be expected however this was a complete mistake of ours. We were un-expectantly greeted to being scolded like school children. Working at a hotel myself I am always expected to be honest and straight forward with guests when something is wrong however always polite and respectful, this was anything but. My partner tried to start to explain the situation however was just met with more unapproachable rude behaviour and gave up. We expect our mistake and love our dog and would never wish for him to become upset and stressed but our circumstances were unfortunate. It was almost like we were beint judged by a person who didnt know us as incapable completly to look after our dog. I have never ever been treated so disrespectfully by the owners of a hotel or rental cottage before. This incident has never happend before and is a one time awfully unfortunate event. After this we did not see Emma for the last 1 and a half days of our stay. We were reluctant to come back on our last day as we felt the place had an awful un-pleasant tense atmosphere. There was no contact to try and apologise for her attitude towards us or even resolve the issue and she conviniently left and did not return and hour before our check out time. We will never return to this particular place there are many other lovely places to stay in the lakes and we will be using these instead. It is just unfortunate a manager of a business is so poorly equiped in customer service skills and lets her emotions get ahead of her.

Liked best: location
Liked least: the owner
Your age range 18-24
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
Families with young children Large groups
Management Response
20 Jul 2015
As a dog owner myself I was totally appalled by what met me in Tyan.

1) Dog left in sealed conservatory - no windows open. We are all aware of dog in hot cars, but a conservatory with no air is just as dangerous. The heat hit me like an oven as I opened the door.
2) The dog was distressed and barked for three hours.
3) The dog was caged without a cover - just the sun glaring on his back
4) The dog had no water - his full bowl was outside the cage

I very much like to leave guests to themselves but am equally happy to engage and chat with my guests on their terms. I am not an over familiar owner, very much preferring to judge each guest as they come. Many love a chat, others love their own space.

On this occassion I arrived home for lunch to no cars in the car park and a dog barking. I pottered about gardening and presumed the guests were in as we request dogs are not left unattended. It was only when after nearly three hours of barking that I went to investigate.

After rescuing the dog and giving them water, I did indeed phone the owners and, perhaps rather forcefully, request they come back immediately.

They made no apologies for the fact that they left the dog with no air or water. Immediately on the defensive they came up with every excuse under the sun (a few new ones aired here today).

I was fully expecting a review like this. I only wish that they could accept responsibility for their own actions rather than trying to bring me down with them.

As a couple I found them to be very aggressive when I challenged them over how they had left their the dog. Yes I live on site and yes I turn a blind eye to a lot of my guests behaviour - I am easy going and like people to enjoy their time here.

However on this occasion when a dogs well being was compromised I had to step in. I am sure they preferred by intervention than the RSPCA? Perhaps not.

This review has upset me as I have been working in hospitality for 12 years now and have never had such a slam on my character. Thankfully my guest book and repeat visitors prove otherwise.
shmoop201...
Wheaton, Illinois
“Great views, quiet, restful, relaxing and very comfortable!”
Reviewed 1 July 2015 for a stay in June 2015

this is an incredible place to stay if you're looking for something off the beaten track and a little peace and quiet. beautiful setting with great views and luxurious accommodations. emma is incredibly friendly and welcoming and helpful. if we ever return to the lakes we will definitely stay here again!

Travelling group: Young Children
Friends getaway Older travelers
Families with young children Large groups
People with pets
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
Reviewed 11 May 2015 for a stay in April 2015

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: fabulous views, the location and the cottage itself
Liked least: the hill on the way back to the cottage after a long ride!!
Travelling group: Friends
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Families with young children
Large groups People with pets
Wiltshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 May 2015 for a stay in April 2015

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: Location and high standard of property
Liked least: Lack of a washing machine when the location is made for outdoor activities but subject to the British weather!
People with pets
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 May 2015 for a stay in May 2015

Travelling group: Friends
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing