“Brilliant”
Review of The Yewdale Inn

The Yewdale Inn
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Coniston
Reviewed 24 September 2013

Its so refreshing to find a hotel where the management are so hands on! At the Yewdale the welcome is terrific the stay is superb and the farewells are - well wish I was staying longer. The room I stayed in (4) was on first impression extremely clean and nicely appointed. Nicely laid out and plenty of storage with a spotlessly clean shower room. The food in the evening was terrific. A good range of home made dishes. Breakfast was part self service and part waitress and was as tasty as a breakfast can be. The owners / managers were absolutely charming and chatty ensuring that our stay was as close to perfection as possible. Am very impressed and when needed will be staying there again without question. Location of course is brilliant if climbing walking or outdoors is what you enjoy - all well catered for.

Room Tip: Can only comment on 1 room - number 4 - spacious.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 21 September 2013

I arrived at the Yewdale Hotel with my online booking confirmation from Agoda. I stood at the reception desk, which was unmanned, for a while when the Manager eventually came from serving behind the Bar. I produced my written confirmation, and he immediately shook his head, and said we have no vacancies. I said I had a confirmation, but he was not interested, and told me he had told them that he had no vacancies, and with a thousand swimmers in the town he could have sold the room many times over. He also told me he was unwilling to ring them as it would mean him ringing Singapore. It was obvious at this point that he just wanted me to leave so that he could get back behind the Bar. During our conversation a man passed the reception desk and hearing our conversation offered for me to share his room as he had been given a family room, and that he was on his own. I did not take up his offer, but really regret asking him when he had booked as that was the room that I had a confirmation for.
At this point fortunately for me a lady intervened, I am not sure if it was the manager's wife or a senior member of staff, but her attitude was much more friendly and she asked him to ring other hotels in the town. The first was full, but fortunately for me the Blue Bird Lodge had a room so at least I had somewhere to stay, and I must say it was nice to receive a very friendly welcome there.
The following morning I went back to the Yewdale Hotel, and again spoke with the Manager as I was £90 out of pocket for a room I had not stayed in.
The manager actually showed me the confirmation he had received from Agoda, and complained that they were taking £11 commission out of the £90, but he only gets the money when he puts my card through the system. He took my email address and phone number and told me he would get on to them and let me know that I would get my money back.
A week later, and I have heard nothing from him, which to be honest does not surprise me. The one bit of good news is that I have contacted Agoda myself in the UK, and have received an apology, an assurance that they will investigate the matter, and a promise I will get my money back.
I will never stay at the Yewdae Hotel, and would warn anyone thinking of doing so that an online confirmation is not a guarantee of accommodation.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
4  Thank bingopete
Jeff_Hart, Owner at The Yewdale Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 25 September 2013

Sir, your comments are uncalled for and, if not removed, we reserve the right to take action against you for defamation.
As explained on the day, the overbooking was made by an Agoda computer error. I tried to get your contact details from Agoda but they refused to divulge this. I therefore simply cancelled the booking on-line and received confirmation of the cancellation from Agoda. I was extremely upset when you arrived at my hotel as it was a unpleasant situation for both of us. I found you a room at another hotel nearby. When you called in the next day I explained that I had received no payment from Agoda and that you would have to ask for a refund from them. I took your contact details so that, in the event of Agoda not refunding your money I could be of assistance and help you.
I am extremely distressed by your review when I have done the upmost to help you in this unfortunate matter. I have never had an overbooking with any other booking agency (e.g. Laterooms) and cancelled my contract with Agoda immediately after your booking.
I have this morning called Agoda and managed, eventually to get a non-automated response from someone in the UK. They apologised to me and said that they would be contacting you to apologise as well and ensure that you have been compensated.
I cannot see how I can have done anymore to help you. Why post a review like this when, if Agoda were not refunding you, you could have called or emailed me and I would have helped you in anyway I could have.
Please remove this review immediately.

Reviewed 18 September 2013

Staff nice and friendly, bar a little too bright problem started with food my wife's steak was lovely but my chicken in white wine sauce was bland and tasteless and looked an odd combination when served basically pasta bows with a hint of a sauce with deep fried chicken placed on top. Didn't look great and tasted awful would not recommend

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Jeff_Hart, Owner at The Yewdale Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 3 October 2013

Sir, I must confess that to give us a one star rating when our staff were nice and friendly and your wife's steak was delicious, I do find both harsh and unfair. The chicken and pasta dish was one of our most popular specials at that time but it is possible that it was not to everyone's taste. Had you pointed this out to us we would have replaced it with an alternative free of charge.
I the interest of fairness, I would ask you to reconsider your review and visit us again to eat our delicious ribeye steak.

Reviewed 8 September 2013

We stayed 3 nights, very comfortable room (No2), half a good view, next door plus the fells, bathroom dated, but are to be replaced through the winter when they're closed.
Excellent breakfasts, good honest pub grub, good range of beers and wines, management and staff very friendly and helpful.
Definitely recommend this establishment

Room Tip: Just ask for one facing the fells
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 August 2013

Stopped off for an evening meal with relatives. They ordered steak and stilton pie which they thoroughly enjoyed. I had fish, chips, peas and lovely thick tasty chips. The fish was enormous, cooked to perfection and I enjoyed every mouthful.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 August 2013

We stayed Bank holiday weekend. The room was cosy and had a lovely view of Yewdale Fell. The bathroom was dated but it all worked perfectly. Great breakfast. Good honest "pub food" at lunchtime. Beer good and they serve a grand G&T. The manager was very helpful and all staff extremely pleasant. Location of the Yewdale is spot on as you can do many walks, to varying degrees of difficulty, from the door. Coniston itself is fab. Really pretty. We would definitely go again to the Yewdale.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 August 2013

Called in for a drink and was so impressed with the quality of service and friendliness, we decided to stay for a two night break over the weekend. The hotel is situated in the heart of the lovely village of Coniston. Our room was comfortable with a 4 poster and the bathroom with bath and shower was squeaky clean if a little dated. Breakfast was delicious and plentiful.
Would stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Coniston
Black Bull Inn and Hotel
Storrs Hall
Storrs Hall
#5 of 13 in Bowness-on-Windermere
Applegarth Villa and Restaurant

Been to The Yewdale Inn? Share your experiences!