“Beautiful location”
Review of Waterhead Hotel

Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Coniston
Reviewed 10 February 2014

A fantastic location on a beautiful lake and a short walk from Coniston village. The staff in this hotel are so friendly and helpful. We had both breakfast and dinner and the food was excellent. The only downside of this hotel was that it advertises as pet friendly but the only place dogs are allowed is in the bedroom which is a shame to leave them in the car when you simply want to enjoy a drink in the bar. It was a very wet weekend in coniston and a good wifi network would have been appreciated as due to the weather more time was spent in the hotel. Overall an excellent stay and I hope to return again!

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Iceprincessx
There are newer reviews for Waterhead Hotel

Reviewed 3 February 2014

We have just returned from a two night stay at The Waterhead hotel in Coniston which we thoroughly enjoyed. I got it for my boyfriend for his Xmas pressie and with a wowcher code it was reduced from £230 to £99 for two night and included breakfast-amazing value for money. The hotel itself is in the process of updating its decor and had accomplished a new dining area which has amazing views of Coniston old man, this modernisation had no negative effect on our stay. The food was beautiful but I have to say the staff made the experience so much better with they're light and friendly attitude and willingness to do whatever it took to make our stay special. They were also incredible efficient and professional. Our room wasn't anything incredible but it was clean and the views were breath taking. If I had to criticise I would have to say that it being a animal friendly hotel made it difficult to sleep with a constant yapping from the room next door because of a home sick dog, I have no issue with the animal thing but I would say putting them on different levels would be a good idea. Also it was extremely hot in the hotel but given the temperature of outside I think that just reflects the staff taking extra care of its residents.
We will defiantly go back to this hotel and had a lovely time. Also if you didn't want to eat in the hotel both nights The Wilson's arms at Torver is delicious and the staff at The Waterhead arranged a really good and cheap taxi to take us there and back.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JessDavies86
Reviewed 2 February 2014 via mobile

We recently used a voucher we received as a gift to stay here. We visited with our baby daughter.

Firstly staff were lovely and could not fault them! Really friendly and helpful!

Our room was on the second floor but compromised of two single beds stuck together a set of ugly bunk beds and the travel cot that was out for our daughter was very worn and wobbly. She slept with us both nights. Bathroom was nice but would have been much better with a bath for our little girl. The view from the room was fantastic!

First night we decided to eat in the hotel. It felt as though we were being pushed to eat from the restaurant menu 3 courses £24.99 but there was nothing I liked on this menu. We were then told to look at the specials board in the bar but there was choice of two meals only. We ordered from this menu however we were left to eat in the bar alone whilst everyone else went to the restaurant. Whether this was because we had a baby or because we are from the bar menu I'm sure but it felt wrong as though we were excluded from everyone else.

The next night the restaurant menu dropped to £20 for 3 courses but we chose not to eat in the hotel due to what happened the previous night.

The same happened again at breakfast our table was in the Same room this time but set away from everyone else. The high chair we had to use had no straps and was unsafe. Our daughter kept climbing out during breakfast. Breakfast choice was okay but I've had nicer. We were told if we paid extra money we could have a cooked breakfast but we chose not to. The fruit on offer was rather brown and old.

I think the hotel is lovely and staff are fantastic but we just felt uncomfortable for the above reasons. I would say anyone going with a child should take their own equipment as the hotels is very worn and old.

Would we go again? Probably not
:0(

Stayed: January 2014
Reviewed 26 January 2014

Its taken a few extra months to post this as you will or will not know wedding times are busy when you also have small children, plural!

We hired the hotel last August 2013 for the weekend and with complete support and help from the manager and staff were not only assisted and helped, they made light of what seems an endless task in organising wedding things....... and more as we were travelling up from the SOUTH with 70 guests!

The hotel is perfectly positioned on Coniston lake with back drops to dream of, walks and jetty with extensive beautifully sculpted gardens..... A taxi boat or launch to take your guests out on! A photographers delight, mmmh, jetty, mountains, garden aspect or mmmhhh lakeland stone....Whoops not forgetting capturing the reason while the photographers there to capture the wedding.....! Best use a local photograph so the focus is on you hehehehe...

The hotel is having refurbishment which you would never have known and this just makes the hotel even nicer! The food was wonderful and with 70 guests that travailed from all over the world and all giving great feed back we had a wonderful weekend! Being spoilt and looked after at a price that was surprisingly competitive. This was the decider I have to say but no compromise just the opposite......

Wishing we could live there this is a beautiful location, ideal for a break or a romantic setting. Wish I was on a commission but hey best things are a secret!

Room Tip: I think most rooms have been refurbished but either way the standard is very good!
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 January 2014

Using a Red Letter Day voucher for our stay at this hotel wasn't really the Red Letter experience we had hoped. Unless you want a family room with bunks avoid room 2.

There must be some sort of conspiracy for my husband and I when staying in Lake district hotels -we always seem to get the worst room in the hotel!

This room had a dual aspect, one over the kitchen (which started its very noisy extractor fan at 6.30 in the morning) and the other directly on to the fire escape.

The mattress on the bed was a cheap, worn out one with the usual (as is the case in so many hotels) poking through of springs, making for a very unrestful night's sleep. It's a pity that the money spent on the very nice en suite did not extend to -for me at least -important matter of a comfortable mattress.

To be fair to the very nice receptionist, she did offer us another room but as this was after 8.30 pm we didn't want to have to move. We did get our drinks with our evening meal on the house.
The dining room has obviously been recently redecorated and was lovely, as were the very helpful staff.

The hotel bar though - like sitting in a funeral parlour -very bare and functional. I wouldn't like to have spent a whole evening sitting in there.

Such a pity that this hotel like others we have stayed at in the Lake district can't get it right. It seems that unless you are paying top whack for a really luxury upmarket hotel there you can't expect more.

And more annoying because we paid in total £150 for dinner bed and breakfast.

We won't be returning to the Waterhead Hotel I'm afraid.

Room Tip: ask for a lake view, but expect to pay more
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank louharry
Reviewed 16 January 2014

My boyfriend and I have just come back from a weekend at the Waterhead Hotel. We arrived on the Sunday and stayed 2 nights. We had a lovely time and received a wonderful service from Lottie and other staff there, who made us feel very welcome. The room was warm, comfortable and clean and the view from the window was of the lake (room 17). The food was wonderful- well presented, good quality and very tasty. We had a 3 course meal at the restaurant on the evening we arrived which was excellent value. The breakfasts were very good too. We were lucky with the weather as well, which was a bonus and it only rained in the evenings. We would love to be able to return to the hotel soon and its wonderful surroundings.

Room Tip: Room 17 had a great view of the lake.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 January 2014

My partner and I plus our puppy 'Mr Tom' had a wonderful 3 day break at the Waterhead Hotel despite the weather being awful.

We were greeted by the general manager Laura who couldnt do enough for us. We had only booked in for 2 nights and really wanted to stay for New Years Eve, Laura pulled out all of the stops to make this happen and we had a fantastic night with the hotel staff and the other guests.

The food was wonderful, so good that we ate at the hotel the 3 nights we stayed. New Years eve was a 9 course taster menu which was lovely. The live jazz music and New Years festivities were fantastic. The restaurant manager Chris was charming and ensured that all of our food needs were met.

The Waterhead Hotel especially Laura and Chris gave us the best New Years Eve we have ever had, THANK YOU...We will be back.

Claire Gray and Tony Martin

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Claireljgray
Also consider these accommodations in or near Coniston
The Yewdale Inn
Storrs Hall
Storrs Hall
#5 of 13 in Bowness-on-Windermere
Ambleside Salutation Hotel, BW Premier Collection

Been to Waterhead Hotel? Share your experiences!