“jb newcastle”
Review of Waterhead Hotel

Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Coniston
Reviewed 17 August 2014

we stayed here on Sat 16th Aug having booked a double/twin room and a junior suit via the internet on Dec 4th 13, I email the Hotel seven days before arrival to book a table of four for dinner l, it took the hotel two days to reply, by saying you were informed when booking that the hotel restaurant that evening was closed because of a function. We'll , our booking didn't inform us of that, no problem, we were arriving mid-evening so, we bought food to eat in our rooms. When we arrived, about eight in the evening, having to look for someone to attend reception, we were informed that the function had been cancelled last minute, and now we could eat in the restaurant, too late, we have bought food in.I have a lot of sympathy here because the hotel, and staff had to make the most of their circumstances last minute. Our double room in the main hotel was fine, no problem, however the junior suit was through the courtyard at the back of the hotel and on the road. As a suite goes it was just about ok, but, and a big but, the traffic noise from the road was annoying, so too was the room above us, and a few yards away was the hotel waste skip , you could hear every little clatter and bang, and also, there was a used blanket thrown in the bottom of the wardrobe in the bedroom, very off putting.
I explained at check in that we needed to leave early next morning, and was told that reception was open from 7-0am , we agreed on a early breakfast take away bag for that time, I turned up at five minutes to seven to pick up the breakfast and pay our bill, which on booking was pay on departure, a member of staff had just arrived, but when I asked her if she could deal with me, she informed me that she didn't start til 7-0am, and to come back at 8-0am when she was better organised, I told her that I was checking out then and needed to leave then, after an obvious look at the clock and with some reluctance she dealt with me, umm! 5 minutes! you should have sorted this with the staff that was on last night she said, well, my booking said pay on departure, and the staff last night were busy , and why would I think otherwise! . There was some exchange between us, and she gave me a feedback form to fill in, I declined,and, in fairness she did try to retrieve the situation, but the more she tried the worse it got, hence me mentioning this in my review.
I think this hotel seems to be fine for holiday visitors, who maybe are a little more laid back in how their day unfolds , however, if your looking for a more responsive a location for an over night stay, it may not tick too many boxes.

Room Tip: don't book a junior suite, its not in the main building, but out back in the service area of the...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank john b

Reviewed 12 August 2014

Our room was old but had recently been refurbished.
Some parts of the hotel are in need of an update.
Although it was August our room was very cold.
Breakfast was adequate so we decided to have dinner elsewhere.
Staff were friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank James M
Reviewed 11 August 2014

We got married here at the end of july, we booked out the entire hotel for our party and it has to be said the hotel pretty much let us do what we wanted regarding decorations etc, the wedding co-ordinator Charlotte whilst new to the role assisted with the help of the team for pretty much our every need, from changing tables round,keeping our own bubbly cool, help with decorations and liasing with my wife to be with prompt correspondance before the big day! I have read some not so great reviews but in my opinion the hotel stepped up big time when it came to the wedding day and all our guests were happy with their rooms, the breakfast and service. The surroundings were perfect and we couldnt have asked for more fram all involved at the hotel, THANKS!!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 August 2014

This was our second stay at Waterhead, and we enjoyed it just as much as the first time. We had our 2 elderly parents with us and used 3 rooms. The rooms were clean and comfortable and access was relatively easy. The only problem we experienced was a lack of staff one busy evening so were kept waiting for after dinner coffee - a minor setback to an otherwise lovely holiday.

Room Tip: Ground floor double room has good disabled access facilities.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank 435MikeB
Reviewed 1 August 2014

Thanks for a great wedding, great hotel, great location. One negative would be the staff could do with a little more training. Seemed a bit clueless when faced with quite simple requests, a place like this deserves staff that will do anything (reasonable) for its guests. The bar prices were also a bit steep.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank seanyd2
Reviewed 1 August 2014

Large double room very well appointed, modern with a spacious double bed and lake view (just!) would recommend a room with view to The Old Man though imagine would be much better. Really nice position just outside Coniston just a few hundred yards from centre and nice grounds with a little walk down to jetty and Coniston water where you can hail a launch for a trip which I did and would recommend. More of a corporate type hotel and I prefer ones with character i.e. oak beams, roaring fires so didn’t eat there perhaps I should have as like to rate food. Good size bathroom with full length bath and hot water. Unfortunately my stay was spoilt by not initially being able to get to sleep due to noise and thought it something to do with the plumbing but at times was like a freight train so rang reception and was told “oh it’s the workmen I didn’t think you would be able to hear will ask them to stop now” this was at 11.30pm! Then a problem with what sounded like something dripping from a radiator continually which was annoying and also a dripping noise from bathroom but eventually managed to get to sleep. Told reception in the morning and was offered a small discount on my stay which was only right and proper and nice not to have to ask for it but in hindsight think I should have asked for a little bit more off! Overall a modern hotel, great location perhaps a bit too of a corporate feel for me but a nice stay and breakfast was good. Unfortunately stay slightly marred by the excavations going on at 11.30pm! Would I stay there again yes really liked the big double room with high ceiling and large bathroom and nice grounds but please management you must know not acceptable to have men digging holes at 11.30pm!

Room Tip: Recommend room with a view to the Old Man the "Lake View" i had is stretching things a bit...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 28 July 2014

We loved it, the room, the location, the view, bust most of all for us it was sitting at the bottom of the grounds on the edge of Coniston lake last thing at night and first thing in the morning after the mist rolls away.
But we were kept waiting for our room aftter staff failing to let us know it was ready and two people not letting each other know where they were up to.I was more upset though when I asked could they please replenish just the coffee and milk in the room please. I was told to just call back and tell the staff member on the reception again as the maid had already been in the room,, that is unless you want her to go back ??? Not what I would of expected for the price charged for room only,.
I will upload my photos soon

Room Tip: Pick a room with a view of the lake.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Coniston
#1 of 12 in Ambleside
Black Bull Inn and Hotel
Langdale Chase Hotel
Langdale Chase Hotel
#10 of 20 in Windermere

Been to Waterhead Hotel? Share your experiences!