Black Bull Inn and Hotel
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
US$209
No availability for your dates from our partners
Priceline
  • Breakfast included
TripAdvisor
All reviewsblack bullthe pubown brewerygreat beerbrewed on sitebarley wineoatmeal stoutchillibluebird xbcumberland sausageveggie optionsspecials boardreal aleate herefish and chipslake districtbar meals
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 28 October 2012

Well what can I say Room clean and tidy, Nice size I see other people complaining about ceilings and floors being low and not level, it is an old building and not the Ritz. Being a travelling salesman I have stayed in better, with no character boaring staff and plain food. Here you get normal well prepared fresh food not all spiced up and sauces everywhere, I can recommend the Haddock, Gammon and cumberland sausage the portions are huge. Over the years we have got to know Spencer the head chef and he takes no prisoners, all the food is freshly prepared and cooked, so when they are busy it tends to take a while, given you more time to sample the selection of real ales all brewed on the premises. The bar Staff Mark, Merick, Lorraine and Michelle and Les the manager are great and the banter that goes on would make a good comedy show, don't get me wrong they are professional but enjoy themselves while working, something you do not see a lot of these days.
We have been going to Coniston twice a year for 7 years and always end up at The Black Bull after tyring all the other pubs The prices are just Lake District prices not Expensive no different to anywhere else in the lakes. The pub is ideal for walking cycling or just touring around.

In conclusion if you want the Ritz and fancy messed about with food, well go to the Ritz.

If you want a good old Pub/Hotel with good food and great beer then in my opinion the Black Bull is the place to go, we will be back in March, I think the staff should all have a pay rise as the place would not be the same without them.

1  Thank Steve B
Reviewed 26 October 2012

A long-established family-run business in the heart of The Lakes, quality of service and product is second to none; the range of excellent home-brewed beers is comprehensive, from the beautiful smooth oatmeal stout, the Bluebird bitters and the two lagers, and the potentially dangerous 9% barley wine (recent winner of the 'Beer of Britain' award), the range caters to all tastes. The friendly, welcoming staff add to the ambience of the place, the food is excellent, a must-visit location if you're doing Cumbria !

Reviewed 11 October 2012

When we are away in the motorhome we eat out quite regularly. Consequently we cannot afford top of the range eating every time. Sometimes it is nice to be able to have a glass of decent beer and a plate of no nonsense comfort food. Having perused the menu at another hostelry nearby we decided that such offerings were far too expensive so we settled on the Black Bull.

This is a real ale paradise with most of the beer made on site. This is not a pub for lager drinkers unless you enjoy the real scandinavian/germanic experience. I am a real ale fan but strangely Coniston Brewery beers have never quite hit the spot with me. I do not know why this is as they are clearly of high quality. Well I seem to have found the answer, I tried the Special Oatmeal Stout and it was wonderful.

My wife and I both had the Cumberland Sausage which was very satisfying and filling and for less than a tenner good value.

The only problem with this pub is that on busy days, and there are many of these in this attractive little town, this place very quickly fills up, particularly around evening meal time. If you can be more flexible it might be advantageous as they do serve food all day. As for drinking no problem just stand and work your way though the range on offer, although you will only be able to drink the barley wine in small glasses!

Reviewed 22 September 2012

Fantastic location with the bonus of a brewery on site. Coniston Brewery makes a great pint and has won camra champion beer of Britain twice. Food good and breakfast is very good. Plenty to eat and attentive landlady and staff. Would recommend.

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank Colin B
Reviewed 20 August 2012

A pub / hotel that features the excellent Coniston Brewing Co. Beers, and on my visit they'd just won the Champion Beer of GB for their 'No.9 Barley Wine'. Clearly they excel at beer and any visitor should consider this before booking (to me it's a real advantage!).

We ate in the pub 2 nights, and I had the Vegetarian option both evenings and they were excellent (the nut roast was spectacular). Breakfast was quick and filling with extra toast and coffee.

The room was fine, if a little bland in decor, and some of the ceilings can be very low in an old building like this.

It's location is really good for anyone doing any cycling, with plenty of quite roads and plenty of climbs not far - and a car park right behind the pub.

Prices are very much 'lake district' prices, but they do cheap deals on 3 week nights etc.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple