“Affordable stately home in the Lakes!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Monk Coniston

Monk Coniston
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Coniston
Cheshire
“Affordable stately home in the Lakes!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2013

Just had two nights away in the Lakes with husband at this HF country house. It is owned by the National Trust and leased to HF. We enjoyed exploring the grounds and the grandeur of the rooms.
There is nothing to fault, comfortable bed, very clean. The food was fantastic, I thought the trout with mint and wine sauce was outstanding. My special meal requirements were diligently and kindly dealt with.
The people on the other holidays (folk dance and painting) were very pleasant and the manager John Croxford is very friendly and clearly runs a tight ship.
Thanks, I don't get away without the kids very often and I could not have asked for more on this break (and the weather was good!!).

Room Tip: I paid £5 per person per night more for a room with a view of Lake Coniston and it was well worth it...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank cheshirehousewife01

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
San Antonio, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2013

Our week at Monk Coniston Hall on a walking holiday was a week well spent! The staff is courteous and attentive, the food plentiful and well-prepared beyond our expectations.

We reserved early and requested a premium room which was well worth the small additional charge; we had a view of the lake, an oversized room, and comfy robes and slippers greeted us upon our arrival.

The property is well-equipped for hikers and walkers, including a large boot room with washer/dryer for wet clothing. Overall a beautiful, functional property.

Room Tip: Book early and ask for a room in the main house if available.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Mona S
Liverpool, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2013

This place has a lovely setting and is nice, and clean, inside.
The people were nice and friendly.
Offers use of a computer with wifi, and lots of guides to the area.

My only complaints are -
1 - All the plug sockets in the room were old fashioned round pin ones - useless!
eventually we found ONE that was the usual British plug.
It is crazy not to have changed them or at least offered adapter plugs - people need electricity for all sorts of things - phone charging, curling tongues, laptops etc

2 - breakfast starts and 7 and ends at 9. Many people when on holiday want to have a lie in... they don't want to be up early to eat - or they get nothing - especially if they have been out late the night before.

I know this is not unusual in hotels, but it would put me off going again - not everyone is an early riser.
The food was ok, but we were so tired and felt still half asleep we couldn't eat much or enjoy it

They should offer some sort of back up for those who do not want to get up early - even just leave the option of self service, stuff like cereal and croissants or whatever, if they don't want to offer the cooked breakfast.

We then had to be out by 10... which is too early in my opinion - again, on holiday you want to relax, lie in, take it easy etc not feel you have to get up, eat and pack in a very short rushed time.

Again, i know this is not unusual in hotel, but it is still annoying.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Anco71
Reading, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2013

I was really looking forward to staying here for a week with HF to do some walking, but the standard of my accommodation really affected my enjoyment of the whole experience. My room was small and dingy. I certainly didn't have the great experience others on here have had. My average rating is based on this, as the staff, service and food were all very good. There is a very wide variety of accommodation at this hotel and I would just advise anyone planning to stay here to ensure you know what type of room has been allocated. There are some superb rooms in the main house and in the annex but, sadly, I didn't get one of those! Thumbs down from me on this occasion. I would visit again but ONLY if I was sure of getting a better standard of bedroom.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Maz1963
Laim
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2013

I stayed here on an HF walking holiday and had an excellent stay from start to finish: a very warm welcome, warm and comforable room with ensuite bathroom that included what I would deem the best functioning shower in the whole of Great Britain (and I've travelled widely there), exquisite food, pleasant décor, friendly, good service. To sum up, the place is under very friendly, forthcoming management.

Local buses stop virtually outside the door, though with a lot of luggage after a long journey you may prefer to take a taxi, if arriving by train.

Ideal for walkers with boot room and free laundry facilities

I was 100% satisfied with my stay, tho' I consider myself over rather than under-critical. Sincere thanks to John and his team of staff.

Room Tip: Rooms in the main house (where I stayed) may be preferable, but I have no comparison.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Laimerin
Macclesfield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2013

The first thing to say is that this is not a hotel in the traditional sense. I got my room through LateRooms but - I think - the whole house is rented out by the National Trust to HF Holidays. I assume HF had an unfilled room and made it available through the LateRooms website. So most of the other guests were there for either a dancing weekend or a walking holiday.

On to the room... mine was a single room in one of the cottages and was perfectly clean and comfortable. It was not en-suite but that was reflected in the price.

The location was excellent, just outside Consiton with lovely views and access down to the lake through the grounds.

I didn't eat there in the evening but did pop into the bar for a pint - good to see them supporting a local brewer (Barngates)

Breakfast was tasty and plentiful. Because of the 'group holiday' thing guests are seated together at big tables as they arrive. As a single traveller this was fine by me - it just meant I got to chat with some interesting people over breakfast rather than being sat on my own.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
Stockport, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2013

Stayed here for a hiking weekend with a walking club in Autumn.My room was in an adjacent cottage with a communal bathroom and wc.(Both of which need up-dating.)The bedroom was old-fashioned, being single-glazed ,but comfortable and clean.It was complete with tv. tea and coffee facilities and small sink.The beds were comfy with duvets.The main building includes a large lounge and cozy bar with a real ale on tap along with spirits etc.The dining room was spacious with large round tables. The food was varied and of excellent quality...However ,the service was slightly sub standard due to the East European staff. We were also, twelve of us,crushed onto one table in order to save on waiter duties! This meant that some of us were rubbing elbows which I found abhorrent.Overall, this place is well managed but to cram so many onto a table, in the albeit one instance, was out of tune with what should have been a near-perfect stay.

Room Tip: Main building rooms usually are en-suite.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Coniston
#1 of 6 in Coniston
Storrs Hall
#5 of 13 in Bowness-on-Windermere
#1 of 12 in Ambleside
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,627 reviews

Been to Monk Coniston? Share your experiences!