“Oh dear . . .”
Review of The Lamb Inn - CLOSED

The Lamb Inn
Price range: US$7 - US$28
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Our traditional village pub, the Lamb Inn, the only one in Grasmere Village places a strong emphasis on locally sourced produce for pub food too. The bar is well stocked with many names you'll recognise - making it one of the best real ale pubs too! Real Ales include: Hawkshead Bitter, Hawkshead Red, Hawkshead Windermere Pale, Jennings Cumberland Ale, EPA, Black Sheep, Dent and Golden Sheep. Pub Food: The Lamb Inn serves some of the finest pub food in the Lake District, with something to tempt all appetites. Enjoy a combination of locally sourced hearty traditional pub main course classics to lighter snacks and delicious homemade afternoon teas.
Reviewed 31 August 2014

Whenever we visit the Lakes we usually call in the Lamb Inn for lunch, this was our fourth visit this year. On the previous three visits we had been happy with the Lamb Inn, but things have gone downhill. We arrived at 12.15 on Saturday worried that we might not get a table as it had always been busy previously, shouldn't have worried as we were literally the only people in. We checked the menu but already knew we were going to have the Red Lion Tower Burger as we enjoyed them before. First thing we noticed was the price had increased by two pounds from the previous visit making it just short of twelve pound, not cheap for burger and chips, but hey, we were on holiday. We ordered and sat down. Still sat there forty minutes later, remember just waiting for burger and chips in a still empty pub.. It eventually arrived after fifty minutes just as I was about to ask for my money back. Wish I had, onion rings were cold, salad was pathetic and the burger itself, though ok, was not as good as we had had before, the 'giant mushroom' had shrunk and no way was it worth nearly twenty five pounds for two burgers and fries. I also had a pint of lemonade cos I was driving, and I'm sure there was no way it was a pint glass, but can't be certain. So, increased prices, pathetic service and lower quality food, won't be going again.

1  Thank SPjjj

Reviewed 29 August 2014

Returned to The Lamb for a meal on a recent visit to Grasmere; having had good food on a previous visit. I had the Lamb Henry which was very good and a big portion. My wife and vegetarian friend were also very happy with their meals. Nice bar and good beer but surprised how quiet it was on a bank holiday weekend.

1  Thank rmc12York
Reviewed 14 August 2014

We thought this would be a lovely place to eat, right in the middle of Grasmere! We sat outside as we had a dog and large pushchair with us! What we ordered had no resemblance to what actually came. Fresh made bloomer bread turned out to be bog standard sliced bread, and to make it worse it was coated thickly in cheap margarine! It was awful! My daughter scraped the marg off her bread to see the beef, no red caramelised onions anywhere to be seen! I ate part of my sandwich but felt the beef itself was slightly tainted. This was a Wed ,perhaps it was Sundays's leftovers. I couldn't eat it,I honestly felt it could give me food poisoning. My daughter picked up a damp ,brown piece of lettuce- well past its sell by date- dreadful!
My husband complained and we did get a refund on the sandwiches but felt so disappointed. There were so many other places to go in Grasmere and we must have chosen the worst! We'd ordered chips too, they came as French fries- nowadays everywhere does handcut chunky chips,
Who on earth is in charge at this place??? So many foreign visitors in Grasmere,goodness knows what they must think if they eat here!

Reviewed 12 August 2014

Variety on the menu. Well cooked. I had lamb - delicious and big portion. My other half had steak and ale pie - very nice - he enjoyed it, but portion not big enough.

1  Thank Emma_C886
Reviewed 12 August 2014

We ate here on our last night in Grasmere and were pleasantly surprised having read varied reviews. The food was of excellent quality and service was good. Overall very good value for money, will certainly eat here again when we next visit Grasmere.