“Perfect!”
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Very good
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Very good - based on 22 reviews

Reviews from our community

Any
chrissys5...
“Nice cottage. Appalling Agent”
Reviewed 1 November 2014 for a stay in September 2014
people found this review helpful

Bakers Rest was our second choice. Our first choice was Moss Garth in Braithwaite but this property was sold during the booking process!

Bakers Rest is an unquestionably pretty and spacious cottage and Grasmere is packed full of great little restaurants and amazing long walks. We stayed here during a bittersweet time and without the most important member of our party, Granddad, who was recovering in hospital from illness (and on the condition that we brought him Lakeside goodies back!).

There were a few issues which arose during our stay which I communicated to Cottage Holidays. Disappointingly, their responses barely register on the scale of human experience. They have defended every point they chose to respond to (even the one involving soiled underwear behind the bedroom curtains!) with a standard "we are sorry you feel this way but we............" This company hasn't taken ownership or displayed any sense of responsibility and they seem to be wholly without empathy, integrity or compassion. The lesser issues were that the house would mysteriously fill with the smell of effluent and we just had to go out to escape it and the soiled underwear (see below).

The main issue is to do with their terms and conditions and it is here that you will need to pay attention before booking with this company. Please also note that I did not get any response to my very detailed and specific questioning of their T&C's.

Because we were only provided with one set of keys to the property (and despite there being a 'spare key' hook inside the property) and because there was a day when we wanted to separate as a party to do our own thing, we accidentally locked the keys in the house. This resulted in a call out and a seemingly spurious charge of £60 being levied against us. The girl on the phone said this was in the T&C's and upon mentioning that I don't remember there being anything about lost keys in my T&C's, her response was "oh no, it's just come down from head office," and "please defer to the T&C's on the website".

As I continued to question the girl, asking for a breakdown or justification of the £60 charge (which she wanted me to pay on the doorstep and which, after much negotiating, I commuted to a charge against our security deposit), the girl couldn't decide whether the charge was for the handyman's call out time or because they would have to shut the shop and come out to me. When I reminded her that it was now close to 5pm asking what time she finished she said "oh yes, I'm off at 5 anyway!

When I returned home I checked my T&C's, all three sets. There isn't a clause which points me towards their website nor a deferral statement making the web T&C's the precedent. I checked the word count on the three sets of T&C's sent to me during the booking process and two of them were different, having had a change to one of the clauses. To me, this is a clear example of 'making it up as we go along because we can'.

Also worth mentioning, just before we went away I googled Bakers Rest and landed here: http://www.cumbrian-properties.co.uk/properties/sale_search/bakers-rest-langdale-road-grasmere-la22-9su

Yes, this property is also for sale and is owned by a Director of Cumbrian Properties and let via its sister company Lakes Cottage Holidays as clearly detailed in the sales literature. I rang Lake Cottage Holidays who confirmed this and assured me the property wouldn't sell while we were there. Maybe they are also psychic!

So, happy holiday makers; there were Red warning flags throughout this whole encounter and I take full responsibility for not reacting. I can see how life's distractions (caring for seriously ill and much loved Granddad type person) can fog what is staring you in the face.

I wouldn't touch this company with a barge pole! They are not nice people at all. My best advice would be: PLEASE BE INFORMED and CHECK YOUR TERMS AND CONDITIONS.

How easy was key pickup/access to the property? Bedding & mattresses
Kitchen & utensils Bathroom cleanliness
Other facilities & amenities Service
Liked best: Restaurants are amazingly good (Jumble Room and Greens)
Liked least: Lakes Cottage Holidays - booking agents were terrible
Travelling group: Extended Family
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
Friends getaway Families with young children
Large groups
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
11 Nov 2014
May we firstly wish your Grandad a speedy recovery.

We are sorry you felt the need to write such a review on Trip Advisor. You mention our Terms and Conditions, what you have not stated is that we do ask holidaymakers to report any issues whilst they are there to enable us to rectify and put right, your only communication with us other than when you had locked yourself out of the cottage was when you returned home. We do ask our guests to look after the cottage and leave them in the same condition as they found them, this also includes the safe guarding of the cottage and its security. When you called to say you had locked yourself out we did advise we would have to send a member of staff from Windermere to Grasmere and as it was 4.55pm this would also mean he would have to stay back after his shift finished as well as travelling the 20 mile round journey to deliver the key. At the time you queried the charge and we advised it was to cover petrol and overtime which I recall you were aghast we would pay our staff overtime. We offered you an alternative option of collecting the key yourself from our office which would have involved you getting a taxi which you declined, preferring to stay in the pub and wait.

Bakers Rest, is as you state on the market for sale, and as it is being marketed by our sister company, Cumbrian Properties. We are able to monitor the progress of the sale and from past experience it is most likely to be purchased as a holiday let which would mean no distuption to any holidays. If it was not to be purchased as a holiday let completion dates would be arranged so as not to disrupt any holidays and therefore the fact this property is being marketed for sale would not affect your or any other holidaymaker holiday.

Once again I am sorry you feel we have acted inhumanly in charging you a call out to deliver a spare set of keys out of hours but feel our charges are considerably less than if you had locked yourself out at home and called out a locksmith.

Michelle...
Ayr, United Kingdom
“Perfect!”
Reviewed 28 April 2014 for a stay in March 2014
person found this review helpful

We rented Bakers Rest for our family/wedding guests as we were getting married at The Wordsworth Hotel around the corner. The photos for this cottage do not do it justice. it was huge! We had 8 guests stay and there was plenty of space for everyone. No one could fault it! Close to all that Grasmere has to offer. Excellent value for money :)

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Travelling group: Other
Your age range 25-34
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
Friends getaway Families with young children
Large groups
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
28 Apr 2014
Thank you for taking the time to inform Lakes Cottage Holidays of your review of your stay at Bakers Rest, Grasmere.

We are delighted you found the property spacious, could not fault Bakers Rest and found the accommodation on offer excellent value.

Lakes Cottage Holidays hopes to welcome you back to Bakers Rest in the future.

Leicester
Reviewed 18 April 2014 for a stay in March 2014

18 Apr 2014
Thank you for taking the time to inform us of your review of your stay at Bakers Rest, Grasmere.

We are delighted you enjoyed the location of the property and thought the acommodation on offer was lovely.

Lakes Cottage Holidays hopes to welcome you back to Baker Rest soon!

Stockton-on-Tees
Reviewed 4 April 2014 for a stay in March 2014

4 Apr 2014
Thank you for your feedback of your stay at Bakers Rest.

We are pleased you enjoyed your stay at the property.

Lakes Cottage Holidays do not advertise that towels are provided at this property and it does also state in your holiday confirmation that towels are not provided. However, towels can be hired from either our Keswick or Windermere office at an additional charge.

Lakes Cottage Holidays hopes to welcome you back to Bakers Rest or another Lakes Cottage Holidays property in the future.

Boothy333
Ossett, United Kingdom
“Brilliant”
Reviewed 16 March 2014 for a stay in March 2014

Just had a superb weekend at this cottage.

A well equipped kitchen which was roomy enough to host several cooks was just the start of it.

4 cracking en-suite bedrooms, all said the beds were very comfy, some even wanted to take them home!

Nice sized living area and comfortable for the cottage at full capacity

Will certainly try and stay there again. Could live there. Can't rate it highly enough!

16 Mar 2014
Thank you for your wonderful review of Bakers Rest

We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay at this property and found everything to your liking.

We hope that we can welcome you back again in the future.

Kind Regards
Tel 017687 74060
Chester
Reviewed 12 December 2013 for a stay in November 2013

12 Dec 2013
Thank you for your review of your stat at Bakers Rest, Grasmere.

We are delighted to learn you felt at home at the property due to the furnishings and you enjoyed the location of the property.

Buckingham
Reviewed 2 September 2013 for a stay in August 2013
person found this review helpful

Luxury-minded travelers Rugged travelers
2 Sep 2013
Thank you for your review of Bakers Rest.

We were pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and the location of this property, it is indeed perfect for restaurants and walks from the door.

Your comments will be passed on to the caretaker and owners of the property for their information.

We hope to welcome you back to one of our properties in the future.

Kind Regards
017687 74060
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing