“Outstanding Food!”

Cuisines: British
Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly, Bar Scene, Groups
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 17 September 2011

This was the first time for me eating here and I have to say the food was outstanding. I ordered the pork to start and the duck for mains. I have eaten at michelin star places before and this was on the same level. The food was cooked to perfection and the presentation matched. What I also couldn't believe is the price, it's priced at your average gastro pub but is far superior in quality.

With it's laid back atmosphere and friendly staff I would recommend this place to anyone.

Only slight drawback is that the pub attracts some rowdy locals but thats not the owners fault.

Also great for beers and ales as they have a wide selection.

Laura M, Manager at Tweedies Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 27 September 2011

Thank you so much for your great review, i do hope you visit us again next time you are in Grasmere.

There are newer reviews for Tweedies Bar

Reviewed 10 September 2011

Once again we returned to Grasmere to attend the yearly Beer and Music Festival and a great time was had by all!! Despite the torrential rain on Saturday, it didn't appear to dampen anyone's spirits!! In fact I think it added to the fun! There was a fantastic choice of beers and the music was great. Although we we're not able to reserve a table because of the festival, we managed to get a table in the pub (in the dry!) and enjoyed a first class meal (as usual). On the Sunday, the sun came out and everyone was able to sit in the lovely beer garden and enjoy a good singalong. We choose to eat outdoors to make the most of the lovely weather and enjoyed the hog roast and venison burgers on the BBQ!! There was a great atmosphere and well done to all the staff who worked so hard! Keep up the good work!!

2  Thank Dimaria4117

Thank you so much for your great review, the Grasmere Guzzler was a huge sucess this year, despite the weather! I hope you visit Tweedies Bar next time you are in the area.

Reviewed 1 September 2011

Me and some friends visited the Dale Lodge Hotel last week and it is by far the worst hotel/gastropub I have ever been to. The staff gave us incorrect information about various aspects of our stay and refused to apologise when this was pointed out. They were generally rude and obnoxious with one barman in particular insisting on singing, dancing and swearing loudly behind the bar while everyone else was trying to watch the football on TV.

We had arrived a minute too late for lunch and so were refused food. A couple of us had sanwiches in our bag and when we tried to eat them we were immediately threatened by the singing barman to put them away instantly or get chucked out. We wrapped our sandwiches up (although leaving them on the table) and carried on drinking our drinks, intent on going outside to eat them as soon as we'd finished. After another few minutes the manageress came over and pratically shouted as us to get out using the excuse that one of the girls had been painting her fingernails at the table. When one of my group tried to talk to her, she got aggressive and we left rather than cause a scene. As a result none of the 6 of us (who all live relatively locally) will ever go there again.

In general the place was cold and uncomfortable. The Sky Sports they show is all in Greek (literally in Greek with Greek commentary and words, it must be pirated somehow), and whatever small positive points they do posess are instantly nullified by the disgusting attitude of the staff. If the hotel staff are cut from the same cloth then I can only imagine the horror of spending a night here.

2  Thank Brusche

I am sorry you did not enjoy your visit to Tweedies Bar. With regards to your comment on the staff providing you with incorrect information, they are employed to serve customers, not to provide tourist information, however they will always try to provide information when asked. I am sorry if they did not get it right on this occasion. The particular barman you refer to is no longer employed here.
The Sunday afternoon you visited us is one of the busiest days of the year as it was bank holiday weekend and Grasmere Sports Day. Unfortunately you did arrive a few minutes late for lunch and we do need to have a cut off time otherwise the chefs do not get a break. I do not think it was an unreasonable request that you do not eat food that was not purchased here, on the premises. I do not know a single restaurant that would allow anyone to do that.
I recieved complaints from a couple of customers who were still dining about the smell from the nail varnish being used by one of your party, and I agree that it is a very unpleasant smell, especially if you are eating.
I do not feel i was in any way aggressive towards you and I apologise if you felt I was shouting. I simpy said if you were not willing to comply to our rules about eating your own sandwiches and painting your nails in the pub, I would have to ask you to leave. I do not feel this was an unreasonable request considering your behaviour.
With reference to our Greek satalite, it is perfectly legal and in no way pirated and most of the time the commentary is in fact in english. You mentioned you are all relatively local, so I do hope you will come back and actually dine with us next time you are visiting Grasmere and I hope we can change your opinion of our establishment.

Reviewed 30 August 2011

We love Grasmere and always visit Tweedies bar after our twice yearly trip to buy gingerbread. The dining area itself is cosy and welcoming. You must try a bat (1/3 pint sample of 3 beers of your choice - or let the barman recommend). The food is always excellent. Our table was laid for us by a waiter who obviously works in the hotel as it was done with precision and very politely. The food arrived quickly and for the first time ever during our holiday my son wolfed down all his food - so it must have been good as he's generally a very picky eater!! My husband and I both ordered the beetroot soup and a sandwich - first time I have ever had pink soup but it was delicious!We love this place and will go back again and again.

Reviewed 25 August 2011

My partner and I visited Tweedies Bar most nights during our weeks stay in Grasmere, having visited many times before and were not disappointed. The staff are always friendly and the service attentive, the food was delicious and as always they had a great selection of real ales.

Jennylinley, Manager at Tweedies Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 31 August 2011

Thankyou for taking the time to recommend us on TripAdvisor. We look forward to seeing you again soon. Best Wishes,

Jenny Goodall.