“A real disappointment, stay away!”
Review of Tweedies Bar

Tweedies Bar
Ranked #9 of 45 Restaurants in Grasmere
Price range: US$0 - US$47
Cuisines: British
Good for: Groups, Bar Scene, Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Orillia, Canada
“A real disappointment, stay away!”
Reviewed 24 April 2014 via mobile

We visited Tweedies at the recommendation of a local shop owner. After scanning the over priced lunch menu we prepared our order where the barman told us that we were too late, the kitchen closed 3 minutes earlier.
Now we can appreciate that kitchens close however we couldn't understand the 3:00 pm closing time for a tourist pub in a tourist community. Not only were there many guests inside the unfriendly staff were still serving as we were turned away. Why provide menus and why not post kitchen hours if you are running a part time restaurant?
What was more irononic is that as our group gathered our gear we heard a table complain that their food was undercooked.
Fortunately we found the nearby Lamb Inn next to the Red Lion Hotel where food prices were far more competitive, our meal was good and cooked correctly and the ambiance was nicer.
Short version, save your money and avoid Tweedies.

1 Thank mpsrent

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Nice decor, unfriendly service”
Reviewed 21 April 2014

The welcome was decidedly luke warm, two cokes and a bag of crisps was £6.95, we felt a bit had. It was the first place we stumbled upon after a long walk, and we wished we'd held out until we had rounded the corner to find another establishment. We decided not to eat there, and headed for the badger bar in Rydal instead.

Visited April 2014
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Not as good as it used to be!”
Reviewed 21 April 2014

I ate twice at Tweedies Bar at the Dale Lodge Hotel, Grasmere over the course of Easter Weekend 2014. My observations are that the quality of the experience is in decline at this establishment.

It still provides an acceptable standard of food and drink in a reasonable setting though I was quite disappointed having eaten there before. My first meal there was on the Saturday afternoon, having just arrived in Grasmere. I ordered the Wild Boar burger and my wife had a ham and cheese sandwich. I see that the prices charged by Tweedies are still slightly exorbitant. I know, given that the bar is situated in Grasmere, they can generally charge what they like. The burger I thought was of fair quality, though the sweet apple and sultana chutney marred the experience somewhat. It gave the burger a taste not unlike a hot cross bun or tea cake. My portion of onion rings were utterly cremated and I can only surmise that they must have been waiting at the pass for at least a couple of weeks before being served. I thought my wife's ham sandwich was of particularly poor quality, it was cost in the region of £6 for a couple of slices of ham, some grated cheese and some obviously shop bought, Chorley-Process style bread. I also took issue with the fact that they advertise both chunky chips and chips - but both appear to be of the same thickness. My chips were also slightly underdone. I also find it a shame that thick cut chips are in fashion, as Tweedies used to do delicious fries with a Cajun seasoning coupled with a beef burger. I could make an exception at this time, as it was a sunny Saturday afternoon and the staff looked rushed off their feet. The queue for the bar was approximately 12 deep when I went for a drink!

We booked in for dinner on the Sunday evening, and were told that we would only be able to get a table at 18:45 and we'd need to finish quickly so they could get the table turned round for an existing booking. Upon arriving, we were seated early in the fairly empty bar restaurant. The ante was upped fairly quickly and the service started to suffer. I had a rather average breast of guinea fowl with a celeriac smear, a fondant potato, a whole roasted red onion and some braised red cabbage. The bird was fine enough, but the sauce was meagre and the onion was ridiculous. It was as tough as shoe leather, and presented simply sliced in half, it was largely inedible. My wife had medallions of beef fillet, which she seemed to enjoy. Pudding was a so-so slice of baklava, and for my wife the silliest little slice of dark chocolate pie I have ever seen. The service remained rushed and confused throughout, they even missed off the portion of chips I requested to bulk out the very small portion I was given for dinner, and a late request saw me practically eat my chips for dessert.

What really struck me was how quickly the bar has descended into utter mediocrity. A couple of years ago, I would have told friends travelling from far and wide about Tweedies. I have stayed in the Dale Lodge (in 2009) and found it most enjoyable. A wider observation I would make about Grasmere, with Tweedies being no exception, is that the proprietors in the area have started believing their own hype. Grasmere is now stuffed to the gills most weekends and the prices have went through the roof. I could not say that my experience at Tweedies this weekend has been a complete disaster. However, if this fare were served up in a less populous area like Northumberland, it would quickly sink for being an inferior product. I am not averse to paying for quality, but I do not think the Tweedies product currently represents anything like the prices suggest.

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank Cosworth11
St Helens, United Kingdom
“Arrogant Staff, overrated place”
Reviewed 20 April 2014 via mobile

We have stayed in Grasmere many many times. Generally speaking the shop, bar and restaurant owners are very friendly and polite; providing you with that warm feeling that a truly welcoming place tends to give you.

Be warned that the above does not apply to Tweedies bar. The place itself is a good size and has a very homely feel to it but that's where the friendliness ends. The staff in this place are truly the most arrogant and self satisfied bunch that we have ever encountered. They simply do not care about you as a customer or the fact that you are indulging their over inflated prices for what is no more than an average selection of wines and beers. They are overtly rude should you dare to ask them to actually serve you in turn.

If the management actually read this then believe me there are a growing number of people subscribing to the above view. May I suggest that you invest some of your ill deserved profits on some elementary customer service training for your staff. Or, better still, new staff.

We won't be coming back.

Visited April 2014
4 Thank Cyclist22
“Excellent lunch stop”
Reviewed 18 April 2014 via mobile

Stopped in for a family lunch on Good Friday. Very efficient service, good food (crispy fish & chips, chunky sandwiches), and well kept real ales. Especially enjoyed the "tweedies bat" tasting flight of three real ales. Would definitely come again. Garden is dog friendly.