“Lunch after walking from Elterwater” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #9 of 44 Restaurants in Grasmere
Price range: US$0 - US$47
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Groups, Child-friendly, View, Bar Scene, Kids, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Brunch, Drinks, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
East Yorkshire
“Lunch after walking from Elterwater”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2014

It was a lovely sunny hot day (for the Lakes) and we decided to give this bar a go because it had outside seating. When its sunny in the lakes you have to make the most of it. The chips and onion ring are worth the visit on their own food very good came out in good time given it was busy

Visited April 2014

• Chinese (Traditional) first
London, United Kingdom
“Good bar, decent food but room for improvement”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2014

Great selection of ales in the bar here for anyone finishing a walk in the Fells and returning to Grasmere. Service can be a bit slow, on each of our recent visits a cluster of locals at the bar seemed to get more attention from the staff than those waiting to buy drinks.
Eat in the restaurant on one of the evenings during our stay in Grasmere, good selection on the menu and clearly trying to pitch itself against some of the other dining options in the village and steer away from bar meal offerings.
Good atmosphere in the bar with a band performing on a saturday evening

• Visited April 2014
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Sutton-in-Craven
“Staff with attitude!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2014

I have relatives who live in Grasmere and visit them on a regular basis - in recent years, I have also frequented Tweedies Bar many times. I would have to say that my experiences in Tweedies have been mixed - generally, the staff are not very friendly or helpful and there have been occasions when I felt that I would not return. Clearly, many other people have received a similar reception judging by the number of poor and negative reviews. I am also very surprised that most of them have not had any response from the management.
I most recently visited Tweedies on the evening of Good Friday - and cannot believe the attitude of the bar staff! I was with my son and my cousin - we ordered three pints. The barman left the pints to settle (fine) but, in the meantime, served several customers, so that we were kept waiting longer than necessary. We found somewhere to sit, obtained some menus and then I returned to the bar to order some food for my son and me. I stood there for a considerable time and was completely ignored. Eventually, I asked someone if I could order some food and thought the reply was 'I will be with you shortly'. I then waited for a further length of time before the person I had asked reappeared and ignored me. I again asked if I could order some food, to which one of the bar staff informed me that 'Patience is a virtue'!! I replied that, up till then, I had been very patient - to which the reply this time was along the lines of 'Good for you, sir'. When I pointed out that one of the staff had said he would take my order I was told that this was not what he had said - that he was a waiter in the restaurant and had actually said that one of the bar staff would take my order shortly. At this point, I was ready to walk out but as my son and I needed to eat and we were with my cousin, I decided to bite my tongue and ordered some food.
I went back to sit down and my son went to buy another round of drink. He later told me that, when he was standing at the bar, one of the waiters appeared with some cutlery and asked the barman who it was for. 'Those miserable f---ers on the middle table' came the reply!!
I would have to say that, on this occasion, the beer was very good and the food was also decent - if on the expensive side. The attitude of the staff was. frankly, appalling.
I will not be revisiting Tweedies.

• Visited April 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank MickW52
Orillia, Canada
“A real disappointment, stay away!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2014 via mobile

We visited Tweedies at the recommendation of a local shop owner. After scanning the over priced lunch menu we prepared our order where the barman told us that we were too late, the kitchen closed 3 minutes earlier.
Now we can appreciate that kitchens close however we couldn't understand the 3:00 pm closing time for a tourist pub in a tourist community. Not only were there many guests inside the unfriendly staff were still serving as we were turned away. Why provide menus and why not post kitchen hours if you are running a part time restaurant?
What was more irononic is that as our group gathered our gear we heard a table complain that their food was undercooked.
Fortunately we found the nearby Lamb Inn next to the Red Lion Hotel where food prices were far more competitive, our meal was good and cooked correctly and the ambiance was nicer.
Short version, save your money and avoid Tweedies.

1 Thank mpsrent
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Nice decor, unfriendly service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2014

The welcome was decidedly luke warm, two cokes and a bag of crisps was £6.95, we felt a bit had. It was the first place we stumbled upon after a long walk, and we wished we'd held out until we had rounded the corner to find another establishment. We decided not to eat there, and headed for the badger bar in Rydal instead.

Visited April 2014