All reviewshome from homenothing is too much troublehomemade jamsguest houseguest loungeexquisite placenever stay anywhere elsetea coffeebreakfast tablevaried menuregular visitorslake districtcomfortable bedyogurtdining roomshirleyaccommodation
Reviewed 30 May 2017

We stayed over the weekend of 12-14 May. It was special for us as we were celebrating three birthdays. Shirley, thank you for making our stay memorable. Firstly, the welcome was lovely, cakes and tea/coffee. Accommodation was immaculate and the scenery spectacular. Breakfast - well everything you could possibly want, especially if you are with SW, lots of berries and plums (although scrambled eggs and salmon did win over). In the village we did eat at Grasmere Hotel for a special meal but a little disappointed. Lewis's Bistro is certainly a place to eat ! Baldry's tearoom, makes THE best flat white coffee and although we didn't eat there JUMBLE room bistro looked interesting.

Room Tip: We had two rooms and both were really nice
  • Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
Shirley E, Owner at Dunmail House, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2017

Thank you so much for taking time to place such a wonderful review for me on trip advisor. I am sorry not to have responded earlier as I have only today seen the review. I am delighted you had a good time. It was a pleasure to meet you all and I do hope to see you again. Take care Shirley

Reviewed 15 May 2017

We have recently returned from another stay at Dunmail House - we have stayed so many times I have truly lost count. This is an absolutely exquisite place to stay: Shirley is a really warm and friendly host, nothing too much trouble! The place is warm and inviting, beautifully furnished and impeccably clean to give a feel of maximum comfort and ease. We went in need of relaxation and felt so comfortable we were able to do just that. All bedrooms afford beautiful views of either Greenhead Gill (back) or Easedale (front) and the comfortable, spacious guest lounge has a large picture window of the Easedale Fells and setting sun. There is also a spacious and well kept garden to the rear which guests are free to use and soak up the afternoon sun. A special mention must be made of the wonderful breakfast; a varied menu of hot food together with a table laden with fresh goodies, 3 different fruit salads, cereals, different muesli type cereals, yoghurts, juice, home made jam (I have probably left something out!) - well worthy of the Breakfast Award. This is a place that, once found, people return and return regularly, it really is a little gem. Shirley you do such a good job!!! Well done and thanks!

Room Tip: All rooms are good, back is cooler if sunny in summer but all have lovely views.
  • Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
Shirley E, Owner at Dunmail House, responded to this reviewResponded 16 May 2017

Thank you for taking time to write such a delightful review of your recent stay. I am so pleased you were able to relax and go home refreshed. Breakfast here as you know is designed to set you up for the day and I thank you for mentioning the large variety of items to choose from. I look forward to seeing you both again soon.
Best Wishes
Shirley

Reviewed 2 November 2016

It was my first time here and I didn't want to leave... Amazing owner who makes you feel so welcome and comfortable, gives you great advices on places to visit or eat. B&B is located in a peaceful and beautiful place, rooms are spotlessly clean, bathroom toiletries, stunning views and delicious breakfast every morning.
Stay here if you want the best...

• Stayed: October 2016, travelled with friends
Shirley E, Owner at Dunmail House, responded to this reviewResponded 6 November 2016

Thank you so much for your kind review. It was great to meet you and I really appreciate all your positive comments about your stay. I am delighted you enjoyed breakfast as I try hard to cater for all tastes and always source the best products from local suppliers.

I do hope you will come back again sometime in the future,

Best Wishes Shirley

Reviewed 18 October 2016

My 3rd stay here at Dunmail and I will always come back. Shirley's a wonderful host, always warm and welcoming and I've always felt so pampered at my stays here. The coffee and yummy homemade cake were indeed a blessing after a long journey there! Breakfast is fantastic with many choices, all personally cooked. The place is clean and spotless with a lovely decor; rooms are extremely comfortable with beautiful views. Shirley is friendly and very knowledgeable about the area which helped me plan my days well. There are many walks one can do from here. I was definitely very well looked-after by Shirley. Thank you for always making every visit so special : )

• Stayed: October 2016, travelled solo

Thank you for your super comments and for taking time to put your thoughts on trip advisor. It was delightful to see you again and I am so pleased you keep returning to stay at Dunmail House. The autumn colours here have been wonderful over the last few weeks and today we had a few sprinkles of snow on the top of the fells. The views have been just stunning and I do hope you have the chance to get to the Lakes again.

Reviewed 16 October 2016

We have just returned from another superb stay at Dunmail House, indeed we also had several days there in June this year. On both occasions our stay was nothing less than perfect with Shirley's warm, friendly welcome, nothing too much trouble, there is an atmosphere that I can only describe as being at home in the Lakes. Spotlessly clean with sumptuous soft furnishings make all bedrooms extremely comfortable. There is a large comfortable guest lounge with a huge picture window over the Easedale Fells, parking is easy and the views from all rooms are breathtaking, with Easedale Fells to the front and Stone Arthur to the rear, farmers fields in all directions and a wonderfully kept garden to the rear. Breakfast deserves a special mention, with a varied menu, as well as the full 'Lakeland Platter' all beautifully cooked & well presented a variety of different fruit salads, cereals etc., not forgetting the home made jam made from fruit in the garden, worthy of its Breakfast Award. This is a guest house we have visited approx. twice a year for last ten years. Once people find Dunmail it appears they simply keep returning, as we have done. This is a truly exquisite place. Thank you Shirley, your hospitality simply makes a holiday in the Lakes.

Room Tip: All are good views - the rear is quieter but glazing in the front rooms cuts out road noise anyway.
  • Stayed: September 2016, travelled as a couple
Shirley E, Owner at Dunmail House, responded to this reviewResponded 17 October 2016

Hi, Thank you so much for coming to stay here at Dunmail House and for your kind review. As you know it has been a difficult time for me and I thank you so much for your continued loyalty and support. I am looking forward to seeing you again soon.

Shirley