“Lunch after walking with dogs”

Walkers' Bar at Macdonald Swan Hotel
Ranked #30 of 48 Restaurants in Grasmere
Cuisines: British
Reviewed 7 June 2014

We (4 adults, 2 kids, 2 dogs) called in for lunch following a walk nearby. Had a lovely large table with acres of space which was perfect for us with the dogs.

Good menu overall but a little limited in choices for small kids.

Food overall was nothing more than expected given the prices. I'm not saying the prices are expensive but that they are at upper end of the pub range - hence I expect the food to be of good standard and presented well so I would say average for the price. That said I was happy after ordering the steak and ale pie to be presented with a proper pie - i.e cooked in the pastry - as this is becoming less common.

Staff were happy for us to leave our cars on the car park for a walk down into Grassmere village.

Would be happy to visit again and would particularly recommend to fellow dog owners.

Scott D, Manager at Walkers' Bar at Macdonald Swan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 July 2014

Dear Alan W

Thank you for taking the time to write your review
I regularly share these reviews with the team
I am glad you enjoyed your lunch down in our walkers retreat with its large table.
Our head chef takes pride in producing the finest, freshest meals and especially his homemade pies which as you have said are cooked in pastry not with just a lid.

Myself and the team look forward to welcoming you and your family back in the near future.

Reviewed 2 June 2014

We ate here on several occasions and each time the food was great. There is good choice on the menu something for everyone.

Dear Zeddytravels2

Thank you for taking the time to write your review
I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future

Reviewed 30 May 2014 via mobile

Popped in for an early tea, didnt realise we got 15% off for ordering food between 6 and 7pm but we thought it was reasonably priced anyway! We had the sausage and mash (fab), porterhouse pork steak (very nice), burger (massive) and veggie burger (tasty). Good service by a friendly barman and the dogs joined us too in a lovely room with sofas. All in all we would recommend to anyone passing.

Dear Zoe B

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.
I was pleased to hear you enjoyed your tea with us and the 15% early bird food discount which we apply to all meals ordered between 6pm & 7pm every day of the week.
Our head chef and his team are glad you enjoyed your meals and the portion sizes

I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future

Reviewed 6 May 2014

Stopped on the way back from out Lakes holiday. It is conveniant as it breaks the journey. We used to stop at The Travellers' Rest or the King's Head on the same road, but they are also pretentious with couldn't care less staff and their food has gone down the pan. (Our main reason for stopping).
As they now advertise it as a Walkers' bar I thought The Swan might have improved. It hasn't. It's a smart modern interior, comfy chairs incorporating the ingle nook, a well stocked bar and well turned out staff.
The floor is dark modern imitation wood which the little boy next to us enjoyed tap dancing on. I would have at his age too but I would have been made to stop.
There were more bar staff cackling and what sounded like hissing (very swan like) with a receptionist, at the end of the bar than the 2 customers drinking coffee, when we arrived.
The Russian barman was pleasant though and apologetic as I declined to let him put my card behind the bar as I wasn't paying with one, I was paying cash, therefore I could not have a tab so I had to pay each time we ordered something. He had a good understanding of English for serving but not for making conversation which he also apologised for.
We had very expensive sandwiches regardless that we were served with 6 triangle sandwiches instead of four, of shop bought bread, cheddar cheese, Branston Pickle in a ceramic pot and prawns and a handful of crisps also in ceramic pots. A woman took a photo of the sandwich board (maybe in shock I don't know.) The lowest priced sandwich was egg mayonaise at £6.30. I had cheddar and pickle at £6.50, my partners prawns were £9.50. There were others for £10.50!
I had a pint of Hobgoblin which was spot on served in a glass with the hobgoblln etched on it. My partner's Kronenbourg was 2 months out of date, and a bit flat she said, but she gave it a good shake. She wouldn't let me take it back. It was £3.60 for the 275 mil (very small) bottle.
The Russian barman Alex cleared our table of the crockery whilst another barman called Nick sort of swept in wearing overpowering aftershave. As he didn't clear our glasses and bottle either and as I had to pay before ordering our 2 Costa Expressos, I took them back. I am being pedantic here because of the ladeeda performance and the prices they charge. As I was paying, the heavily scented barman announced to my partner that our coffees were ready and plonked them on the bar. She got up to fetch them herself as we like our coffee hot. They were tiny and tepid and she told him this (they also came with a tiny biscuit the size of a 2p). The camp barman waved theatrically and blamed the machine. So as I had paid for them already we upped and left.

Reviewed 13 April 2014

We ate here as a party of 8 on Saturday 12th April & to say we were disappointed is an understatement.

We were seated after ordering drinks at the bar & after 20mins when we indicated we were ready to order we were told to order at the bar, would have been helpful to know this on arrival.

Out of 12 meals (8 mains & 4 desserts) 5 had to be returned for being too cold or not cooked at all.

One meal after being sent back was clearly microwaved within an inch of its life, this meal was not even eaten in the end.

There was no apology from anyone & we at each stage said we are not paying for that particular meal, however after two undercooked creme brûlée's & a rock hard sticky toffee pudding we wanted to voice our concerns & receive a gesture for the total ruin of our experience.

The manager on duty said there was nothing more he could do (again not even an apology) & we needed to speak to the general manager Jason Moore.

We paid the bill (minus the ruined meals) & were told the GM would be in to talk to the next day, however after calling today we are told he is not in until Thursday.

Just disgraceful on all levels, service, food & accountability.

We come to Grasmere a lot usually in big parties & we will not be returning to the swan hotel .