“Rather disappointed”

Walkers' Bar at Macdonald Swan Hotel
Ranked #30 of 47 Restaurants in Grasmere
Cuisines: British
Reviewed 11 August 2014

Having experienced MacDonald Hotels outstanding hospitality in other locations I can only report ‘rather disappointed’ with the brief experience at the White Swan. Perhaps we were just unlucky?
I was travelling with relations and we had just completed a morning 10 mile ‘Wainright Walk’ in wild weather on the local hills. The sun was now out and hot we were literally steaming along the road anticipating a welcome pint and something to eat. The well-tended gardens with good quality tables and chairs looked most attractive and we ambled into the ‘walkers welcome’ bar in good spirits.
Unfortunately the bar staff were absent. Eventually after several minutes, a young man appeared, presumably from the kitchen, who delivered a tray of sandwiches to one of the tables, but simply ignored us. Hearing voices in the reception area I wandered through and three members of staff were engaged in conversation. To be fair, with hindsight, I now suspect that they were busy organising for a coach trip which did arrive shortly afterwards. But at the time they were too busy for us!
A barman then did arrive, and did serve us, but the expected welcoming manner and professionalism was markedly absent. We did get our drinks, which were fine. We did use the lovely garden. But at no time were we offered a bar menu, a smile or sorry for the wait or even a thank you. And thus decided to move on and took our £50 lunch money to a friendly little pub in Bowness.

Scott D, Manager at Walkers' Bar at Macdonald Swan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 August 2014

Good Afternoon orchardgrange

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.
I am disappointed to read you didn’t receive the welcome expected and apologise for the absence of the bar team has you mentioned the reception team were getting ready for the arrival of the coach party but prior to your arrival the coach comes to drop of the bags so they can be put in the rooms for when the guests arrive and during this time there was only one bar man available who was serving teas in the other lounge.
He sends his apologise for the unwelcome he gave you and steps have been taken to prevent this happening again in the future.

I hope we get the chance to welcome you back and show you what we can really do

Reviewed 2 August 2014

Nothing was promising at all when we walked into the bar but we decided to risk it. We were both ravenous and in need of burgers. They came and they were naff. We think our burgers had been deepfried to thaw them from frozen, then put on the griddle for browning. Definately a mass produced burger, albeit generously sized but cheap. Had a disappointing taste and after taste. We liked the side salad and the chips but the burgers were not cooked to medium but down-right raw in the middle. We ate what we dared and then legged it.

Scott D, Manager at Walkers' Bar at Macdonald Swan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 September 2014

Good Afternoon Moneypennyfor00

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.
I was disappointed to find out you didn’t enjoy our burgers.
I have to disagree with a couple of points you have made first of all you say our burgers are “naff” which means go away so I am unsure how this represents the product? Secondly our burgers are not mass produced in fact they are freshly prepared from our accredited meat supplier ScotBeef and delivered fresh and then char grilled and not deep fried. As you can see from one our previous customers their review contradicts yours. (The burger was extremely juicy (made from quality meat), French fries in a stainless steel pot, ketchup in a fancy jar and coleslaw in a small bowl. All placed on a wooden board.)

I also would like to know why you did not bring your dissatisfaction to our attention so we could have had the chance to rectify this for you at the time.

Hopefully next time you are in Grasmere you will give us a second chance and not “leg it” before speaking to a member of the team.

Reviewed 19 July 2014

We stopped for a quick lunch and ordered two rounds of sandwiches. They came with a miserable excuse for a salad garnish with no dressing, which might as well not have been on the plate. The ham was acceptable, but the cheese was processed and pre-sliced. At £7/round the food fell well below expectations. No condiments were offered and the waitress was quite unrefined - not what you would expect from a supposedly up-market establishment.

1  Thank stuart m

Good Afternoon stuart m

Thank you for taking the time to write your review
I was disappointed to read you didn’t enjoy your sandwiches as we pride are selves with the quality of food we produce, for the sandwiches we use 3 slices of bread which results in 6 triangles being presented we use home cooked ham and we use award winning cheddar it is all sliced on site in the kitchen each morning for the day ahead.
I have spoken to the waitress and she sends he apologies and I hope we can welcoming you back and show you what we can do

Reviewed 8 July 2014

Had a good meal before returning back to Yorkshire from the Lake District (In particular Grasmere). Food was good albeit a bit expensive. Quality of the meat was good. My mother and I both had the cheese burger but had to pay >£13 (even in the early bird time). The burger was extremely juicy (made from quality meat), french fries in a stainless steel pot, ketchup in a fancy jar and colesaw in a small bowl. All placed on a wooden board. See photo.

Food was freshly prepared. Staff were friendly and the place was clean and busy with residents and passers by.

Good Afternoon HEC2002

Thank you for taking the time to write your review

I was please to hear you enjoyed your meal with us and found the staff friendly.
I'm sorry you found the prices a little expensive, when we are producing the menus we do look at are competitors in the local area and I feel are prices some up the quality of the ingredients used in each dish.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future

Reviewed 6 July 2014

Stopped in lovely beer garden after strenuous walk last year and decided to return this year. However this year decided on a large glass of red wine. Total cost for one beer, said glass of wine and two packets of crisps £15! When I queried this was told glass of wine was £10.50! Think prices were on display but in very small print. Will not be returning next year.

1  Thank MamaWeb24

Good Afternoon MamaWeb24

Thank you for taking the time to write your review

I am sorry to hear you didn’t enjoy your visit this year
Our wine list is displayed just to the right of the till and a large glass of wine starts at £6.50 depending on personal preference of grape

I really hope you change your mind and do give us another chance next time your in Grasmere