“a wonderful experience”

doncaster
“a wonderful experience”
Reviewed 4 June 2011

we spent 2 nights at the
Wordswoth Hotel and Spa, all the staff were very friendly, the rooms were very clean and well looked after. The food was excellent. with plenty of choice and well presented, the grounds were excellent, with grand views and plenty of room to relax and enjoy. We shall certainly visit again it is the first time we have actually stayed in Grasmere, but we have visited it often.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
wwalter50, Owner at The Wordsworth Hotel, responded to this review, 5 June 2011
thank you for taking the time to write your review im delighted you enjoyed your stay and our great staff looked after you, it is quite demoralising for them when they get an unfair criticism as we have just had but we are really doing our best and look forward to welcoming you back to the wordsworth and glorious grasmere

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (341)
UK
Reviewed 3 June 2011

We have just returned from a 2 day break at this hotel. Everything about our stay was wonderful - staff, food, setting, room. A beautiful restaurant (with comfortable chairs) which served delicious food - the steak was the best we have ever tasted! Our room was very comfortable with pillows like marshmallows and towels which were extremely fluffy. The whole staff were extremely professional and did everything they could to make sure our short stay was an enjoyable one. We would not hesitate to return and indeed hope to do so in the very near future.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Elizabeth1063
Leeds
Reviewed 31 May 2011

Just returned from an enjoyable 2 night stay. Our room (41) was lovely- very spacious and newly refurbished to a high standard. It had a large shower and although we would have preferred a bath this was not too much of an issue. Also immaculately clean.
The staff here, without exception, are very friendly and helpful- could not fault them at all. We ate in the restaurant one night and their own bistro the next and the food was of excellent quality.
The only negative points- and this is being picky - the swimming pool could do with cleaning in parts as green discolouration in some areas. The cooked breakfast was of high quality but half a small mushroom does not constitute a portion in my books and frankly looked very lost on the plate.
All in all an enjoyable stay and would probably consider again if there was an offer on.

Oundle, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 May 2011

Room booked 2 months in advance (online but upon return was away when booked 3 phone calls asking for £100 on card, even though card details taken on booking) my wife asked specifically for a good room with view…told room 19 a larger than average room
with views (would hate to see the smaller ones with views!!). I suggest one avoids 19 and those beside it….no view and noisey. Only Staying one night and so….as told hotel full put up with it and down to a experience not to be repeated. The room was too hot which compounded the noise because we had to open the window (fresh air vis-à-vis the Lakes)…if not the room was too stuffy.

Staff very friendly, especially young man behind the bar, however food although
Not awful was trying too hard, I had the beetroot risotto which I found very bland and certainly very pleased we avoided starters and pudding. Best aspect of stay Black Sheep. One thing the people (2/3 not all) who served and removed the plates clearly had no idea as he / she repeatedly leant across and over me and my partner….I did wonder what Alex Pollizi would make of this.I found it mildly annoying. Breakfast was Eggs Benedict (sans brioche my choice ) which was fine, luckily one girl noticed nobody has offered us toast! My reaction was that the staff although friendly were not all well trained. The food I wouldn’t have again or recommend if one is used to eating good food….you will be disappointed. I have eaten much better in pubs over the years and for far less money too. Food failed to deliver. The pre-meal appetiser was frankly pointless.
The dining / breakfast room had no atmosphere, the tables were too small for the plates and seats didn’t make the dining experience comfortable.

The overall feel of the common areas was ok, but venture off these to get to room and
it was dated and a bit…dingy..ditto room 19.

The towels weren’t good (too thin and shower wasn’t what I expected) I thought and bathroom poor. Luckily we didn’t bring the cat…no room to swing tiddles….

Overall very pleased to leave….(my wife asked weeks before if I would like to extend our stay luckily I declined the prospect…..I wouldn’t consider returning even with upgrade offered post receipt of Hotel questionnaire that we left in the room. Compared to previous
Hotels stayed at this is one to avoid if you are expecting something slightly better
than average.

To conclude friendly staff (some though let down the others with their lack of training etc), room too small and frankly not somewhere I would choose to return, food not to be recommended. The young barman who went to the Bistro (from the lounge bar) to get my Black Sheep was the only redeeming aspect of the visit…he should be given a pay increase or headhunted to a Hotel that delivers what it purports to deliver.

I will be returning to Corbridge and Matfen Hall will be the perfect antedote to our stay at The Wordsworth: great rooms, service and food.

Not recommended for claustrophobics……

Room Tip: Avoid Room 19 and rooms situated near
7 Thank Montythecat4
wwalter50, Owner at The Wordsworth Hotel, responded to this review, 29 May 2011
What can we sayabout this person and his wife, they took a lot of time to write this review and the one below. They also left an illegible note in their room but did not have the time or courtesy to say anything other than they did not like the room and were on honeymoon when they checked out.

We had an email from this guest earlier in the week to say that they did not enjoy their stay. I replied saying we were extremely sorry and should they have let us know how they were feeling earlier... we could have moved them to another room as the hotel was not full. I am shocked that they comment that their room is small as it's not! It also has new furnishings, carpets and egyptian linens.

I have spoken to my restaurant manager who said they gave no indication that they had not enjoyed their meal. As for our restaurant chairs being uncomfortable, speechless!

We too are thankful they only stayed one night, I tried to be reasonable with these people! I could have understood if they had complained about the 600 metres of new carpet we were laying when they were here, I apologised for their disapointment, I have refunded money on their card as an apology, and offered them an upgrade on a return visit which she declined.

We have given the hotel a massive makeover in a little over a year from the run down unfriendly hotel our family took over. We know and don't pretend it's perfect. We are going as fast as we can to improve everything.......the vast majority of our guests enjoy their stay,food great staff and are coming back regularly...... .if there is a problem we do our best to sort it immedietly.......... Life really is to short!!!!!
Mold, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 May 2011

I would recommend this hotel to anyone very clean, staff very helpful. We stayed in a refurbish room. Love the lounges great to chill out in. Food was great in the signature restaurant if like others you want to be picky setting the tables for breakfast is annoying if last in restaurant suggest you do the other tables away from last guest dinning. Recommend the dove bistro which belongs to the hotel food is great the steak and ale pie the best. Wi fi in the room a bit hit and miss they seem to be having problems with router also iPad seems to have issues as well. But overall. Great place to stay.

northampton
Reviewed 28 May 2011

Having booked online while out of the country 3 months earlier, I had great expectations.
We were on honeymoon traveling home from Scotland. We had just stayed in a lovely hotel which was half the cost so did not think The Wordsworth could possibly be of a lower quality.
I had spoken with the hotel on my return to the uk in april and asked for a good room.
The room we got was very small, very hot (even with the radiators turned off) and so noisy ( pans dropping in the kitchen below). Described in the hotel information as not the smallest room and having distant views. Our view was the kitchen roof and car park exit.
Although the room had been refurbished the bathroom had NOT. With dirty grouting and thin towels.
We ate in the restaurant that evening which also did not live up to its reputation, with bland expensive food, very small tables, very large plates and staff leaning over us.
The staff however were the only saving grace being friendly and helpful but lacking training.

Kirkby in Furness, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 May 2011

Staff put themselves out to make every guest feel special. Food and service is excellent.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Grasmere
The Daffodil Hotel & Spa
Oak Bank Hotel
Oak Bank Hotel
#3 of 14 in Grasmere
Applegarth Villa and Restaurant

Been to The Wordsworth Hotel? Share your experiences!