“excellent stay highly recommended”

The Wordsworth Hotel and Spa
Ranked #8 of 14 Hotels in Grasmere
Reviewed 26 June 2011

Great hotel, friendly staff, very good breakfast. Stayed in a suite gorgeous room, bed very comfortable had a great nights sleep. Pool and gardens are lovely

Room Tip: had last room available got very good deal
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,270)

Reviewed 25 June 2011

This hotel is lovely. Staff were, as has already been mentioned several times, so good. No one leant over me in an inappropriate way once (???? - some people...).

The room was beautifully decorated and furnished, and has been designed with style and great thought (this is one of the few places I have stayed where I did not have to start moving furniture around in order to access a mirror and a dual plug socket within sensible reach of each other).

We had dinner in the restaurant and it was sublime. The food was terrific, the service impeccable, and the whole experience (it was my brthday) was just what I would have hoped for. Breakfast was also lovely.

The grounds of this hotel are so pretty, and its location in the middle of the village could not be better for taking advantage of the very close lovely river walks, the lake and the village itself. We did not try the spa or pool facilities, but we had a nosey and the pool looked very inviting.

I would strongly recommend this hotel if you are looking for an opportunity to be pampered in a beautiful and very comfortable setting by people who very much understand the concept of customer service.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Rachael P
Reviewed 21 June 2011

This hotel is charming. It's in a beautiful location, gorgeous gardens and public rooms, staff very nice. But we booked our room via alpha rooms as we were looking for just one night. Luckily we didn't pay rack rate or I would have been unhappy. Our room was quite old with an old hotel smell but quaint and clean. Our quilt cover was too small and only covered 3 quarters of the quilt but this was changed quickly enough at my request, although I was told by housekeeping that they would all be like this and the one being put on would be too big as was for a king :-/ The bed was very uncomfortable and we did not have a good sleep as it was sagging in the middle. All in all, you should book this hotel but make sure you are in a refurbished room as they looked gorgeous and so was the restaurant. I knew we were not as I emailed to ask but to upgrade would cost 320 as they only had a suite left. If we had paid the full 180 for our room I would have been disappointed as I'm used to staying in more luxurious hotels.

• Stayed: June 2011
Reviewed 14 June 2011

We stayed at The Wordsworth over 2 yrs ago, and must admit it was a sorry looking dated Hotel, but decided to return this May with our 13 yr old for a short 2 night stay. What a treat. From the moment we walked in, to the last step out, each day was pure heaven. We asked for and got room 8, which has an interconnecting room. It has fantastic views over the moutains, and when you pull up the two armchairs infront of the big bay window, it is just pure peace and relaxation to sit and admire the view. The food is exceptional. Beautifully presented and served with detail to every course. A sheer delight wondering what is coming next. The staff are friendly, helpful and nothing is too much trouble. I would ignore all the bad reports that this hotel has had in the past, the decor and furniture are first class. When we arrived they were having two rooms carpeted. There were chairs and furniture everywhere. By the time we came down for evening meal, you would never had guessed anyone had been around. Perfect and beautiful, down to the last detail. This hotel has been brought out of the 1980s and is now very classy and sopisicated place to stay. Worth paying the little extra for, a real treat.

Room Tip: room 8, large window, rear of hotel, mountain view
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 June 2011

A recent newspaper hotel reviewer questioned why Lake District hotels charge such high prices. The answer is - because we want to stay in the area and don't have a lot of choice!

The Wordsworth Hotel is probably amongst the priciest in the area and I guess that the hotel name gives you a clue as to why they can charge top dollar. Having said that, the hotel is generally very good. My wife and I stayed for two nights and chose one of the larger 'village view' rooms on the front of the hotel. The room was a good size, pleasantly furnished, with all the usual bits and pieces that one would expect from a hotel of this standard. For some reason the room was stiflingly hot when we arrived although there was no heating on that we could detect. Unfortunately, the location on the front of the hotel meant that the room was noisy with the window open. The bathroom looked to have been recently refurbished.

The hotel has a general policy that they do not accept B&B only bookings on a Saturday night. We were attending a wedding in Grasmere and the reception was at the hotel on the Saturday. Clearly we would not want to eat both lunch and dinner on that day so the hotel insisted that we take dinner in their restaurant on the Friday night instead! This meant that I could not attend a dinner party that had been organised at another restaurant. Given that the hotel was benefiting from many of the wedding guests staying at the Wordsworth and that they were catering for the reception, I found their intractability on this matter extremely annoying!

Dinner in the restaurant was pleasant - not 'Masterchef' but nothing major to complain about. Breakfast was absolutely fine. Staff were polite and attentive.

Would I return? Possibly, but only if I could stay on a more flexible basis.

Room Tip: Our 'village view' room was noisy.
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
wwalter50, Owner at The Wordsworth Hotel and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 15 June 2011

Im really sorry that maybe our reception team were a little inflexible, but we have 8 chefs to keep employed and b&b is not what we mainly offer nor our guests demand, We are very aware of the changing trends which is why we offer more casual dining in our Dove bistro as an alternative to the more formal restaurant, im pleased you enjoyed the hotel otherwise and i am sorry you thought the room noisy, one of my joys is walking home in the evening with only the quiet and stillness of the evening for company,and counting my blessings that special places like Grasmere still exist in this frantic world we live,, we look forward to welcoming you back

Reviewed 12 June 2011

This was a last minute booking for ourselves. We just wanted to get away and have a bit of peace and quiet. What better place could we have booked. I read some reviews after i had booked and was very pleased with what i read. 1 person said the pillows were like marshmellows let me tell you they were spot on. From the moment i arrived i loved the place. The staff are great really helpful and polite. The hotel is lovely and the gardens so peaceful with rabbits running at your feet. Everything from start to finish was brilliant. I cant say that i found 1 fault at all. This place is as my title said which is awesome. I would not hessitate on going back here and would advise this hotel to any 1 i know. Well done Wordsworth Hotel you are doing a great job you should all give yourselves a pat on the back :) 2 very pleased customers.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank tig3rval
Reviewed 10 June 2011

Recently my friend and I had the good fortune to stay in a suite at the Wordsworth Hotel. From the moment we arrived we were made most welcome. During our three night stay we found the staff to be professional, attentive and friendly. The reason behind our break was for total relaxation, this box was definitely ticked! We thoroughly enjoyed the facilities of the spa having treated ourselves to back and neck massages. The suite was furnished tastefully and had obviously been recently refurbished to the highest standards.The views of the mountains and the gardens were superb.The food and the choices made available were excellent, we would have absolutely no hesitation in recommending this hotel to friends and family. A fantastic hotel in a great location!!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends
GrasmereWordsworth, Owner at The Wordsworth Hotel and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2011

Thank you for such a wonderful review. We hope you come back soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Grasmere
The Daffodil Hotel & Spa
Rothay Garden Hotel
Rothay Garden Hotel
#5 of 14 in Grasmere
Ambleside Salutation Hotel, BW Premier Collection

Been to The Wordsworth Hotel and Spa? Share your experiences!