“pleasant two night stay”

The Wordsworth Hotel
Ranked #8 of 14 Hotels in Grasmere
Reviewed 30 April 2012

we spent a very pleasant two night stay, the standard room was adequate, breakfast was not that good a little disappointing the fine dinning menu was very limited and the choice not to our expectations ie the same both nights. the staff were very helpfull and pleasant

Room Tip: pay more for a larger room
1  Thank mitchinson
There are newer reviews for The Wordsworth Hotel

Reviewed 22 April 2012

we visited this hotel in february. Everything about it was very good. Howeve one small thing did give us cause for concern, the heat in the room!!! it was boiling!. Now i Know it was febraury, however we could not turn the radiator down. When eventually we did turn the radiator down it was still very hot. We pointed this out at reception we were told that it was because we were over the kitchens! Tread tothink what its like in the summer!. Apart from that we had a very good break food excellent and staff were good too.

Room Tip: Not room 19!
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 April 2012

The best thing about visiting a hotel you’ve not tried before is when it far surpasses your expectations. Thus was the joyous experience my Girlfriend and I have just been lucky enough to experience in the Lake District over Easter.

We only decide to go up there in March and found our first choice of Hotel fully booked. But they kindly recommended The Wordsworth and having spoken to a charming-sounding lady on reception, I booked a standard room for 4 nights over the Easter bank holiday. We hadn’t actually planned on spending too much money and thus were not looking for anything too pricey. And for some strange reason and lack of my usual attention to detail on the internet, I booked the hotel without even spotting the fact it had a pool and spa area. I somehow missed this extra treat and was thus over-the-moon when we discovered the sauna, pool and Jacuzzi in which to relax after a long walk on the hills.

I had only been to the Lake District once before and that was also at Easter 5 years ago. When I came to book this visit, I did not actually realise that Grasmere is probably the most romantic, peaceful and enchanting of all the main touristy villages. Windermere is larger and thus less peaceful and whilst Ambleside has the most lovely shops, it is still not as quaint and romantic as Grasmere. And so ending up in what I consider to be the most lovely of the three main villages was yet another unexpected bonus.

The Wordsworth is so homely: there are 4 different drawings rooms to choose from, something I have never encountered before. Each one boasts sumptuous sofas in which to read, chat or even snooze after a long walk. And so charming were the staff that they were more than happy to let us eat our deserts in one of the drawing rooms after each dinner. Wi-fi is free and stable which was a particular bonus on the Monday when we took refuge from bad weather and used our Laptop and iPad in the main drawing room to pass some of the day.

One of the things that one always hopes for in any hotel is good food. With a restaurant sporting two ‘rosettes’, we had our hopes up and I am delighted to say that we were not disappointed. We found the food exquisite: a delicious and generous menu with sensibly sized portions, even for someone as tall as myself (6’8”). We chose the Bed/Breakfast/Dinner inclusive package; and when you think that we paid £200/night for ‘both’ of us for our room, a fabulous full-menu breakfast and such a high-quality dinner each night, I felt that £800 for the entire 4-night stay was fantastically good value. Of course you can pay more if you choose a larger room with a four-poster bed etc, etc; but we felt out standard room was more than big enough for our needs and boasted a particularly fresh and lovely bathroom that appeared to have been recently refurbished.

I could ramble on about the Lake District in general and how utterly stunning it all is: but I will keep this review specific to the Wordsworth and say in summary that I would more than happily recommend this lovely hotel to anyone needing a comfortable, well-priced and romantic retreat in one of the loveliest villages in the whole area. We could not fault our stay. Go see for yourselves and enjoy the stunning hospitality, atmosphere and utterly charming staff of The Wordsworth. Ciao for now- Mark.

Room Tip: If you want a genuine 'King Size' bed and are as tall as me (6'8"), then ask for a...
1  Thank Mark D
Reviewed 14 April 2012

For a 4* luxury hotel with so many favourable reviews and payment of £150 a night for a double room we were disappointed with a smaller room than we have had in many upmarket B & Bs and a very noisy location above the kitchens. We could hear the staff shouting 'Service' until gone 11.00 pm. We could also hear occupants in rooms either side of us switching their lights on and off from the wall switches. We asked to be moved to other quieter rooms for our second night and then found we were without a room for 4 hours from 10am til 2pm. We had to ask to speak to a manager to get our new room for us at 2pm and were offered no apology or complimentary cup of coffee even. When we mentioned this at reception the next day when paying we were given an apology by the owner's daughter and £20 knocked off the bill. But we were very disappointed with both the first room and the service on the first two days.

Room Tip: You have to go for the rooms at £200 a night to get a decent size room that is quiet
2  Thank Cathy G
GrasmereWordsworth, Manager at The Wordsworth Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2012

Hello I was disappointed to see this review when I had apologised profusely when you checked out and asked what I could do to compensate for the first night. It was your suggestion to minus the extras on your bill which came to £20. I had thought we had sorted any issues then. It was a shame that your upgraded village view room which we moved you into on your 2nd night was not ready before 2pm, but with checkout being 11am and check in later in the day and 39 rooms to service it's hard to have them ready straight away but again I am sorry for your small wait as most of our guests don't spend the day in their room but out enjoying the Lake District. I did also say on check out that should you wish to come again we would give you a complimentary upgrade, so felt I had done my best to fix things. Sadly not!

Reviewed 11 April 2012

This hotel has a touch of quality, with the rooms decorated to a high standard.The staff are very helpful and are always on hand and work very hard to make sure your stay is excellent.The signature restaurant in the hotel is of a very high standard and the food is fantastic.Overall though a bit expensive but makes up with lovely rooms and great food......and onsite parking which is a must in grassmere.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
GrasmereWordsworth, Front Office Manager at The Wordsworth Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2012

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments.

Reviewed 8 April 2012

A previous review indicated that 'courtyard' rooms have a view of the fire escape. This is true (No.4) but the term courtyard is misleading. It is a light well that is used also by the fire escape and to store some untidy disused planters/pots etc. Being old, the hotel is like a rabbit warren. The room that we had was small not unlike those found at some London flight termini. It was very comfortable and very clean. Even with the heating turned off we slept with the window open and apart from one 'revellers' incident on the Saturday night after a wedding there was no problem. No a/c. We moved the chair out of ther room to give us more space. The staff could not be more attentive or helpful. Breakast in 'nouvelle cuisine' but very good. Lots of choice of cheese, meat, fruit, yoghurt, cereals, fruit juice in addition to the Cumberland Breakfast/Kipper/smoked salmon and scrambled egg, eggs benedict. Champagne extra! Didn't take dinner but it was obviously very good with LOTS of people using it. Excellent location within a stones throw of the church. VERY HIGHLY RECOMMENDED. But I would have been disappointed with the courtyard room at the rack rate. Would I stay again? MOST DEFINITELY.

Room Tip: Drop your luggage at the front door, it is quite a way from the car park. Help is available if reque...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
GrasmereWordsworth, Owner at The Wordsworth Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2012

Thank you for taking the time to review The Wordsworth Hotel. We are pleased you enjoyed our food, and yes our Courtyard rooms are our smallest rooms with no views. Sadly we can't do much about it, but are having our heating system looked at.

Reviewed 7 April 2012

My partner and I held our Wedding at the Wordsworth a couple of days ago. The setting could not have been more perfect, even more so with the sun shining.

The staff at the Wordsworth were more than accomodating and couldn't do enough to make our day so very special.

The Junior Suite was stunning, a lovely double aspect room with a balcony facing the Fells, and a bath you could swim in!

The food was exceptional from the Canapes through to the breakfast the morning after.

I would strongly recommend the Wordsworth to anyone, Wedding or not. A beautiful hotel with fabulous staff, in a magnificent setting.

Thank you to all who made our day perfect....

Janine and Rachel Cameron-Joyce

• Stayed: April 2012
1  Thank janinejoycehallard

Janine and Rachel thank you for choosing The Wordsworth as the location for your wedding. We are delighted you had such a lovely hotel and have taken the time to share your experience.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Grasmere
The Inn at Grasmere
Macdonald Swan Hotel
Macdonald Swan Hotel
#9 of 14 in Grasmere
Ambleside Salutation Hotel, BW Premier Collection

Been to The Wordsworth Hotel? Share your experiences!