“Beautiful”

The Wordsworth Hotel
Ranked #8 of 14 Hotels in Grasmere
Reviewed 24 October 2013 via mobile

Stayed overnight for a friends wedding - the hotel is olde worlde cosy and friendly - right in the centre of grasmere food was outstanding and gluten free catered for. Our room didn't have a great view but due to location wasn't an issue - small and cosy and everything that's needed for a lovely romantic break - would definately recommend!

• Stayed: October 2013

Reviewed 24 October 2013

Went here on a secret escapes deal. The deal included champagne, four course meal, bed and breakfast and cream tea. Very good value for 159. The hotel is in an amazing location in the lovely village of grasmere. The hotel is fine but looks a lot better on the website than it does in real life. It isn't a "luxury" hotel. It's nice but small details are missed. For example, you have to pay extra for robes and the towels for the spa are really old. The changing rooms for the spa are like a public pool and the pool was cold and, as spa hotels go, not the best. The room needed a bit of an overhaul and looked a bit dated but was clean and fine. The food was fab, really enjoyed it. If you want to book spa treatments book ahead because they don't actually have a in house therapist so you need to book early and I was disappointed. All in all I would recommend this hotel but don't expect luxury expect a nice hotel!

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank Millie B
Reviewed 19 October 2013 via mobile

Well where do we start?! On Sunday 13th October 2013, my partner & I celebrated our wedding day at The Wordsworth hotel. It was absolutely amazing.....words fail to describe the day we had. It was magnificent from start to finish.
The food was absolutely delicious leek & potato soup for starter, chicken vegetables and mash for dinner and meringue nest with fruit for desert. All of our guests have paid wonderful compliments to the chef and silver service we received. I have honestly never had a wedding meal like it!!

The staff were fabulous and very welcoming. nothing was too much trouble for them. And they were more than happy to help.

Joe, our wedding coordinator has been outstanding throughout the last 5 months! He always had time for me and to be fair, I can talk a bit! He went that extra mile in everything for our wedding day, keeping as much stress and worry as he possibly could away from me so that I could enjoy my day! There were a couple of glitches, (as can be expected) nothing major, a few names had been mixed up on table plan but it was dealt with so quickly and efficiently no one was none the wiser! Very professional! He was absolutely fantastic with the little ones too!
I'm truly grateful for everything.

The owner of the hotel was also present when We got married. As I came down into the foyer he told me I was an absolutely stunning bride! He took my partner and I and our photographer, in his own car, down to the lake to have some pictures taken it was out of this world! I left my bouquet on his back seat and he brought it back to me the next morning he was soooo nice! Everyone down to the reception staff were so personal it made our day all the more special and all those touches from the staff and owner too added to our beautiful day. We could not have asked for more.
I'm taken aback at the sheer beauty of everything from decor, to staff to rooms, to surroundings....
The room where we got married was just perfection at its finest, so articulately set, soft and very romantic....I could go on and on and on! I would highly recommend The Wordsworth hotel it is clean, inviting, relaxing ....whether it be for a night away or for your wedding day, with the utmost sincerity the Wordsworth hotel & Spa should not be over looked. Wish We could go back and do it all over again I really do.
Thank you so much from the bottom of my heart for a truly magical wedding day
from Kayleigh & Rob T 13.10.13 x

Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank Kayleigh_Rob13-10-13
Reviewed 19 October 2013

We have just found the Wordsworth and wish we had found it years ago. On a three night special offer, everything was absolutely perfect. Accommodation was very comfortable, clean and well maintained. The staff were efficient, cheerful, polite and obviously well trained. Nothing was any trouble to them. As for the food - well - superb. Menu was wide ranging with a changed specials board every day. Not cheap but quality never is. Much enjoyed. Will be back.

1  Thank doubleoban
Reviewed 18 October 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights. Was greeted warmly by reception staff and quickly shown to our room 31. This was a twin room, very clean and recently decorated. Dinner in the Signature restaurant was excellent as was the service. Breakfast next morning was also good and the choice was fine. The scones for the afternoon tea were warm and delicious. Dinner on the second night we had in the Dove restaurant. My prawns were superb and the meatballs and pasta was also very good. The chicken pie was a delight. The reason I have rated this with 4 stars is because of breakfast on the 2nd morning. It was busy but I do not expect to have to ask for milk when tea arrives, nor for butter when toast arrives. Service was extremely slow. We asked for more toast and we were still waiting after 15 minutes so decided to give it a miss. This hotel is not modern but if you like old world charm and friendly staff this is one hotel to stay. We would return when in the area again.

1  Thank Joyce D
Reviewed 17 October 2013

At first i wasn't sure about my daughter having a wedding in a hotel, but as soon as stepped in to the foyer and was on my way to the reception area, I changed my mind, As we walked to the reception we passed the wedding ceremony room, Oh my word, it took my breath away, i was just expecting chairs with bows on but it wasn't, the whole room was absolutely stunning, i have to say i cried when i saw it, it was beautifully co-ordinated, and very, very romantic for a wedding,
We booked in and got our room, which was beautiful, the décor the bedding , just everything was perfect, As were the other rooms,
I went to visit my daughter in the bridal suite, and i got goose pimples it was so beautiful,

The staff went out of their way to help us in anything we needed to question, which wasn't much as Joe the wedding advisor had it all under control.
Everything went to plan, the wedding room had been transformed with candelabras which had been placed on the tables, it was beautiful. , we had a string quartet and it was so very romantic, Sorry i am a gushy sort of person but i have to say what i feel.
The ceremony finished, and it was picture time, Well, the grounds were absolutely amazing, beautifully set up for amazing wedding photos.The owner of the Wordsworth Hotel and Spa. took my daughter Kayleigh and new son in law Rob down to the lake to have pictures done of just the two of them, This is an area of total beauty, the pictures of just those two are so wonderful,
They came back to more pictures and i think because of the amount of pictures that were taken, we were an hour behind the schedule, but Joe and the staff were amazing, they didn't rush us or anything .
we entered the room for our meal and again it took my breath away, it was beautiful, again with candles.
the bride and groom entered the room and were seated then the meal began, All i can say about the meal is WOW, the presentation stunning the food was lovely. The staff were amazing, going above and beyond their duties, i only saw empty plates being collected, that is how beautiful and tasty the meal was,.there was no rush, We eventually had the speeches and finished in the dining room,
We went back into the wedding room and again it was transformed but still held the beauty of the wedding ceremony.
w
We stayed up late in the othe bar an the bar staff were very friendly and again nothing was too much trouble.
The breakfast was beautiful,
We all had a fabulous time, the guests are still talking about the venue the wedding Joe and how brilliant he was, and especially the food.
The hotel staff and Joe the wedding co-ordinator went above and beyond the call of duty, and I would like to say a massive thank you to them for an amazing experience and the fact that nothing was too much for them, Their attention to detail is fabulous they are very caring of the people they prepare the weddings for and you can tell that this just isnt a job for them, they really genuinely care and believe me it showed,
So if anyone has a wedding planned, please go to the wordsworth Hotel and spa, amazing amazing amazing.

Room Tip: Any room, they area ll beautiful,