We had always wanted to stay here having seen hotel on numerous visits to Grasmere but been put off by the cost. Got a good 2 night deal with Secret Escapes including lots of extras for a lot less than normal B&B rates.
Stayed in standard room overlooking courtyard - still had great views of village & hills in the background. Room very clean, felt newly decorated with good storage - not massive but fine for couple of nights.
Deal inc dinner on 1 night in signature restaurant - meal was fine if not spectacular - canapes and champagne nice touch before dinner (as was scones & coffee on arrival) Staff in restaurant very professional & attentive. Similar comment for breakfast although selection for those not wanting cooked breakfast was limited,
Went in pool both days - nice & quiet - more than 4 in and it would have got a bit crowded - really enjoyed it apart from freezing water temp on 2nd day. Didn't try sauna or gym - gym looked ok but small. Again though it was quiet so prob not a problem.
Only real downside was experience in linked Dove Bistro next door - evening meal there on 2nd night - food ok as comes from main restaurant kitchens & several similar options on menu but little atmosphere not helped by one member of staff serving on who seemed completely disinterested. He also initially disputed terms of our deal which inc £15 each off the meal although did then back down on this.
This is only thing preventing 5 stars - hotel has a very welcoming atmosphere helped by lovely lounge area with log fire - the reception desk staff were also very helpful & professional in the way they got us checked in & answered any queries thru our stay.
1 final minor point would be worth having "Do not disturb" signs to to avoid chance of cleaners coming into an occupied bathroom - I'm not sure who was more embarrassed!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Wordsworth Hotel and Spa provides an iconic destination nestling amongst the towering mountains of the English Lake District. Individually styled, comfortable bedrooms balance tradition with contemporary design with most offering stunning mountain or village views. The fine dining, air conditioned Signature Restaurant provides an award-winning menu whilst the more informal Dove Bistro showcases superb local ingredients cooked with flair and skill. For guests looking to truly pamper themselves the Lakeland Organic Spa (March 2015) offers guests a wide range of luxurious and natural treatments to ensure a fully relaxing stay. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Priceline, Odigeo, Agoda, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your The Wordsworth Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Wordsworth Hotel Grasmere
- The Wordsworth Hotel Grasmere, Lake District