“Would not stay there out of choice....”

The Wordsworth Hotel
Ranked #8 of 14 Hotels in Grasmere
Reviewed 22 June 2014

We stayed there as it was request to stay for the Wedding we attended... For the price paid for the room I have stayed at far nicer hotels. The hotel was average at best in some areas.
Drinks seemed expensive but then I think this is expected.
The hotel room was quite small - again for the price and being a hardy traveller then not something I liked. The room was VERY warm we had the electric fan and window open but made absolutely no difference... I know air-con in the Lakes is a rarity but something we missed!!
The staff was ok in certain area - bar staff were pleasant but reception was not great.. .the room wasn't ready and no one wanted to go the extra mile that I often see on my many travels to hotels around the world.
I wouldn't rush back to the hotel... I don't think they will be too fused with my views because in Grasmere they have a captive audience and people will come and pay whatever they want for whatever service they think is fit - especially for the Wedding market but I don't think I would make a priority to come back.
The positive side - the food for the Wedding reception was good, very tasty and for mass catering then this was something of a surprise. We also found the breakfast good.

Room Tip: Bring your own fan(s) if it is warm....
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank basisboy
WordsworthManagemenT, Manager at The Wordsworth Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 June 2014

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking your time to write this review.
I am surprised by your comments, as most of the other guests and the bride and groom have left us great positive feed back.
Although we guarantee bedrooms by 3 pm , all rooms were ready by 1 pm on the day of the wedding, and the hotel has also provided 2 rooms for the guests that arrived early to change in before the ceremony .
The sizes of our bedrooms vary by category, but they are priced accordingly.
I can assure you that we take all reviews, good or bad seriously , and we aim to offer great service to all our customers, even more to our wedding guests, as we appreciate the importance of the day to the bride and groom and their family and always go more than the extra mile to make shore they have a fantastic Wedding Celebration.

Reviewed 19 June 2014

Took my Dad away fro a long weekend with my husband and daughter. Hotel looks lovely and has beautiful grounds but apart from 1 night the service was very poor and at times I wondered who was the paying guest. Food was indifferent apart from one night. I really thought that the A team had arrived on Saturday night which shows it can be so much better.
Breakfast is cramped and food quality poor though.
In such a lovely spot a lot more could be done.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
WordsworthManagemenT, Manager at The Wordsworth Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking your time to write this review. We are sorry to learn of your disappointment with the level of service you have experienced.We pride ourselves in the quality of the food and the service we offer our guests, but it seems that on this occasion our team's efforts did not live up to expectations, and for that we apologize. We are glad to hear that there was an improvement on the Saturday, that you liked the hotel and the grounds.
We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 13 June 2014

I have recently returned from a 2 night break with my boyfriend as a treat!! We both had a lovely time - Grasmere is a gorgeous place, small but has everything you need i.e a pub, a restaurant and several little bistros and tea rooms it also has a bakery, ice cream shops and several little gift shops. Not far from windermere and ambleside also. The hotel is gorgeous we used the pool and sauna both great and suprisingly not very busy which was a bonus. We dined in the Signature restaurant on the first night which was lovely and the service was brilliant however our dessert took nearly an hour to come but when it came it was well worth it ( the dessert for 2 to share). The breakfast was amazing there was plenty of fresh fruit salad, pasteries, cereal, fruit juices, cheeses and meats, then toast was brought to the table and then a choice from the menu of cooked breakfast my partner had the full english both days and i had smoked salmon both very nice !! We ate outside the hotel the next at Evas Restaurant which was a lovely meal and very resonable!! The room we stayed in the hotel No.16 was lovely and clean but a little small but big enough for two with a large suit case!! But if you do like a larger room then you may want to upgarde.
Overall we had a wonderful stay and will definatly be returning hopefully in the near future:)

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking your time to write this great review. We are glad to hear you enjoyed the food and service in our restaurant . We apologize for the wait on desert, but we are happy to hear it was worth it.
Look forward to welcoming you back at the Wordsworth.

Reviewed 11 June 2014

Myself and my GF stayed here last week. Beautiful setting and an great place to hit the hills from. Our room was compact, slighty dated and hotter than a sauna! I attempted to turn the thermostat down, which fell off in my hand. We informed reception and they turned the heating off. Although it went back on in the night...and we sweat!
The restaurant was amazing! We had a 5 course meal on the evening and breakfast. The food they served was great, great presentation, worth going back just to eat with them. I feel the waiting staff could do with more training. Overall, very nice.

Room Tip: An outward facing window so you can have some airflow.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest ,

Thank you taking your time to write this review.
We are glad to hear you have enjoyed our great food in The Signature Restaurant.
The room you have stayed in was one of our small courtyard rooms, which is described and priced accordingly. Our village view rooms and mountain view rooms offer more space and idyllic views.
We apologize for the incident with the radiator witch was unfortunate. The heat wave we had experience has made it quite difficult to keep the rooms cool. We are looking to get conditioning in some of the bedrooms in order to avoid this problem in the future.
We look forward to welcoming you back at The Wordsworth.

Reviewed 8 June 2014

The Hotel is situated right in the centre of the village with plenty of private parking. In 5 minutes you can be striding out on the fells or walking round the lake. The reception are always friendly and helpful and the food in the restaurant is of an high standard. It is worth packing a swimming costume to use the well maintained pool,jacuzzi and sauna.

Room Tip: If your budget allows upgrade from courtyard rooms
1  Thank Michael N

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your great review.
We look forward to welcoming you back at The Wordsworth in the near future.

Reviewed 31 May 2014

Let's get straight to the point.
1. Friendly staff
2. Comfortable lounge and reception area
3. Good restaurant with good food
4. Decent size rooms, although a bit of an overheating issue
5. Great location in a great part of the lakes
6. Fantastic views
7. Excellent outdoor/garden area
8. A bit pricey, but value for money

Would I go again? Probably not as there are other hotels in the area equally as good. However I would highly recommend The Wordsworth Hotel if you haven't been before.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Karl D

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your great review and for recommending the hotel . We have experienced some very high temperatures lately, but we are looking into the overheating issue and we will do everything we can to get it right.
We look forward to welcoming you back at The Wordsworth in the near future.

Reviewed 30 May 2014

We had a deal via Amazon local, which allowed us 2 nights, bed and breakfast and one full evening meal. We were surcharged £160 upgrade, this made the it a little expensive, but it was 1/2 term holiday and choice would be restrictive.

The room did give us a view of the mountains, and the gardens, was beautifully appointed and had iron, ironing board, and fan which other hotels would have lacked. Bed was very comfortable. Quiet and slept very well. Alas the massage I received the previous day, caused me to have shoulder pain, my left deltoid was over-worked, and taking analgesia on an empty stomach not good at 04:00, with only biscuits available and I am a diabetic.

Cleanliness 9/10, dust on bedside lights.... just not a good design to clean, and the corner of the bath there was a blackened mould area.

Food 9/10 good quality and and choice, lip service to my diabetic dietary requirements, which I was asked about on booking. Husband early riser, and option to eat earlier than 08:00 would have been appreciated. We turned up to breakfast at 07:45, it was obvious we were too early.

Service 9.5/10 It was a very busy week, but we were made to feel relaxed, oddly the first night in the restaurant ran smoother than the second night, we had 18:30 sittings, and Alex the manager was on the second night. We noticed the young waitresses working particularly hard.

I would recommend here, the location is fantastic, and the stay worth the extra £160, we did manage a 2 night luxury stay, with evening meals, for less than £450. Avoid the offer of £15 off Oxley treatments, you have to spend £50 to obtain it.

My own advice? Self catering.

Room Tip: For an extra £80 the garden and mountain view was quiet and good views(room 7)
2  Thank Lorraine W
Also consider these accommodations in or near Grasmere
The Inn at Grasmere
#5 of 14 in Grasmere
Storrs Hall
Storrs Hall
#5 of 13 in Bowness-on-Windermere

Been to The Wordsworth Hotel? Share your experiences!