“Ok but not great”

The Wordsworth Hotel and Spa
Ranked #8 of 14 Hotels in Grasmere
Reviewed 6 July 2014

Visited last night. Paid £139 for very small twin. Room was dated and very warm. Breakfast was ok but had better at B & Bs. Reception staff were friendly; restaurant staff not great. The spa facilities were pleasant. Overall this was ok but wouldn't return. Visit Green's restaurant in Grasmere which was amazing.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (1,274)

Reviewed 2 July 2014

Dined there a few days back quite simply

Woeful
the monkfish was so badly prepared it could only be sawn with the knife, the texture resembled a haribo jelly chew without the accompanying delight.
The braised beef was 2 to 3 hours short of being edible with the large amount of fat and grissle unrendered and absolutely truly revolting.

Shameful
Why were these catastrophes allowed to leave the kitchen. We were not the only non foodies to be taken aback by the same dishes.

The desserts were not as suggested on the menu, that is, the rice pudding and cheesecake were not so much "deconstructed" as demolished or annihilated,but were pretty.

This is the first time l have ever complained on here or anywhere else but it spoiled the whole lake district experience.

The staff extreme!y helpful courteous, and alas embarrassed. Really disappointed.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
WordsworthManagemenT, Owner at The Wordsworth Hotel and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 5 July 2014

Dear Poppy,

We were very sorry to see your review.
From the 100 people dinning that evening, we did have other complaints about the beef dish , for which I apologize. It was one of our daily specials, and it did not work .
I am surprised you did not enjoy the deserts. The compliments we receive for our deserts, especially The Wordsworth Collection of Mini Deserts is a highlight.
We did offer to replace your meal which you declined.
I am sorry you did not ask to see management before departing. Please contact us to discuss what the best way would be for us to make up for the disappointment.
I look forward to hearing from you and to welcoming you back at The Wordsworth.
Iain Garside

Reviewed 2 July 2014

Hotel is set in a beautiful location and the staff were friendly and helpful.

The room we were in was clean and comfortable but the decor was dated - I guess some would call that traditional. I suspect the bathroom suite dates back to early 1990's, that said there was nothing wrong with any of the fixtures and fittings.

Biggest gripe would be no air-con (although we knew that before we booked) the weather hot so we needed to have the window open all night. Unfortunately we were in room 31 and there was a constant droning noise from, ironically, some air conditioning units!

There was also a wedding on the evening we stayed but that was quiet by midnight so not a problem.

The hotel has a nice pool - not huge but big enough to do half a dozen strokes.

We ate in the restaurant and the food was good - the restaurant was very busy with people from outside the hotel so it would be worth booking in advance.

All in all a nice place

Room Tip: Try and get a room that overlooks village or hotels garden
Reviewed 2 July 2014

This was the second stay we have had at the Wordsworth, we revisited on an an amazon local deal for £149 as we enjoyed it first time round.The voucher gave us a 1 night stay for 2 in a courtyard rood, 5 course meal, full use of pool and sauna etc and breakfast in bed. It also asked upon booking to stipulate any dietary requirements so I explained I was vegetarian. I think there was a bit of a mix up with the booking as they lost my reference number and called me about a week before arriving but it was cleared up quickly by me emailing them this and the receptionist was very polite upon arrival.

The room was very clean and the bathroom was lovely with a really good shower. When we were shown to our room we were specifically shown where the fan was because the room was very hot There was no wifi in the room but it wasn't an issue as only wanted to check the weather and they do stipulate it may not be the greatest of strengths all over the hotel.

The pool, hot tub and sauna were nice just be careful where you sit in the hot tub because I think I kept sitting in the wrong place and getting sucked in by something laving me with grapefruit shaped bruises. It was really nice and relaxing in there though so added to a nice stay.

A few issues with dinner as canapés arrived and even though explained I was veggie a plate of meat and fish was put in front of us. I asked for a veggie option and I was brought a ramekin of olives - felt a little bit cheated there but nevertheless they were nice. This then was obviously not passed on as appetisers arrived and again meat was put in front of me, this wasn't the waiters fault as he wasn't told but first time possible misjudgement, second time just a bit offensive. However waiter took it away and return with a veggie version which was lovely. The rest of the meal was delicious and the staff were lovely. There was one girl called Carmen who also served us a breakfast who is an absolute credit she is so helpful and kind an I watched her help some other guests and she was just great.

The gardens and surrounding area are beautiful and so nice to sit outside in the sun.

Didn't have the best nights sleep due to heat but couldn't open the blind in the room as was next to fire exit so a light was on outside the window all night in case there was a fire.

Breakfast was not breakfast in bed as promoted on the voucher we had to go down to the restaurant, food was nice and plenty of choice and breakfast in the room would have been a bit squished as room very small but shouldn't be promoted as such if expected to eat in restaurant.

The Wordsworth is a pleasant hotel, very clean, staff lovely just a few nags that could have been avoided. Wouldn't rule out going back, lovely village but may try a different place and see if it compares

Room Tip: Pay the extra for the suites they are beautiful
Reviewed 1 July 2014

This is our 2nd visit to the Wordsworth have stayed with my husband before and my daughter stayed separately with her ex husband. The Wordsworth is a lovely old hotel not to large in the centre of Grasmere. Staff are brilliant so helpful cannot do enough for you. Rooms are very comfortable and clean. The old sanitaryware is well kept and works well adds to the charm. This is a very cosy comfortable hotel. Food is excellent, service is excellent. Will definitely return

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank EnglandBlackbird
Reviewed 1 July 2014

Stayed at the Wordsworth Hotel on a special deal, started on arrival with afternoon cream tea, included in the price, it was a pot of tea, very small scone, jam and cream, pleasant but nothing to rave about. Lovely room though, quite large, free wi-fi, lovely toiletries and views of the mountains. The receptionist took us to our room, and she was very helpful and friendly and a nice touch.. We had canapés and a glass of sparkling wine included with dinner, which was four courses, which included coffee. The hotel restaurant has a very large glass front looking onto the Main Street through Grasmere. It's a shame the layout of the tables didn't allow everyone to look out. The two people tables along the window were placed so the diners sat opposite each other, if they were in a diamond layout then the diners could sit next to each other and the tables behind would then have a view, as they could be placed the same, as it was I was looking at the back wall next to a pillar. We changed table but the ones with a nice view were taken, a shame. I had ordered filet steak, at additional cost, which unfortunately was cold - and a long time coming, normally it would have gone back but it was my husband's birthday and he didn't want me to raise the issue. So I was disappointed in the main meal, though I am sure it would have been resolved had I raised it. We had coffee in the lounge, well served and nice comfy old fashioned arm chairs. Breakfast was wonderful, with Cumberland sausage to die for. The service in the hotel was great, friendly and efficient. The swimming pool, though smallish, was fine for my early morning swim. Grasmere itself is a delight. Ample parking and great grounds to stroll in make the hotel a great place to stay, they just need to sort the seating in the restaurant........

1  Thank Jan D
Reviewed 1 July 2014

Visited last week on an Amazon local deal. This is a really nice 4* hotel in a good position and with pleasant gardens. The room, public areas and restaurant were excellent and dinner and breakfast were superb. We just had some minor issues with the spa area, which prevent me from giving a 5 star rating. However, when we raised our concerns with the staff, they were keen to address them. We will definitely return to this hotel in the future.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Grasmere
The Daffodil Hotel & Spa
Rothay Garden Hotel
Rothay Garden Hotel
#5 of 14 in Grasmere
Ambleside Salutation Hotel, BW Premier Collection

Been to The Wordsworth Hotel and Spa? Share your experiences!