“A good hotel ...... but disappointed”

The Wordsworth Hotel
Ranked #8 of 14 Hotels in Grasmere
Reviewed 1 August 2014

We stayed in this hotel from 28 7 14 to 31 7 14. This is an excellent hotel and the staff are courteous, conscientious and extremely hard working. The food is of a very high standard with a good choice. The room we stayed in (room 30) was very clean and had an extremely comfortable bed with a lovely view over Grasmere village albeit it was very hot and some areas of wallpaper were coming off the wall.

What totally spoiled the holiday for us was that at 10:30 on our last evening, while watching the national news, we received a telephone call from reception to advise that guests in the adjoining room had complained that the TV was loud. Although I do have a hearing problem my wife does tell me if the TV is too loud and she advised that the volume on the TV had been at a tolerant level.

I fully appreciate that the hotel has to investigate complaints like this vexatious or otherwise. I also appreciate that whether or not a TV set is too loud or not is subjective. However, it might have been helpful if a member of staff had gone to the landing and assessed for themselves if the TV was too loud in the first instance before contacting us. When I went down shortly afterwards to discuss my concerns with reception staff and they had indicated that they had not done this.

I do not expect at 10:30 to have to turn my TV off to accommodate the intolerances and petty mindedness of others. I am 59 and my wife is 62 and we are certainly not in the habit of having noisy parties etc.

If having the TV on at 10:30 is unacceptable, then perhaps the hotel needs to indicate this or invest in some better sound proofing for their rooms. Some hotels have polite signs requesting that guests consider others when moving about the hotel etc. which is usually after midnight. Indeed, the hotel caters for weddings so I wonder how staff would have dealt with a complaint about guest’s etc. making a noise and slamming doors etc.

We both felt like Pariahs after this incident and did think about leaving the hotel that evening. It seems that the staff were just taking the word of another person without making further investigations. Furthermore, there do not appear to be hearing loops for those who require hearing aids within the reception area?

Again to reiterate, I fully accept the fact the hotel has to investigate instances such as this to ensure that guests have a pleasant stay etc. but I do feel that they have been one sided in this and could have dealt with the situation better and more tactfully. It is a shame that an otherwise excellent stay has been marred by this and we would be reluctant because of this to return to the hotel again.

2  Thank ErnieH_11

Reviewed 31 July 2014

We stayed here after booking a special offer on Amazon Local. We decided to pay for an upgrade and took a classic room instead of a courtyard room. The room was good, but very warm and when we opened the window we were directly over the generators for the kitchen. We asked if we could move and after 15 minutes we were offered a much quieter and larger room downstairs. The staff throughout our stay were friendly, helpful and courteous. Food in the restaurant was excellent and the hotel had a warm, laid-back and comfortable feel.

2  Thank PeteS14
Reviewed 30 July 2014

And we're we shocked all I can say is fantastic could not fault from staff to eating breakfast the choice was outstanding and the evening meal matched any top restaurant in London can't wait for the next Amazon deal

Room Tip: Rooms on the south side are quieter
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Liz A
Reviewed 30 July 2014

I booked using a voucher and was then told that if I wanted a room with natural light I would have to upgrade...!! (Not made clear on voucher). So I paid extra to upgrade to a classic room. On arrival we were shown to a room that absolutely stunk of fried food (I think the kitchen extractor fan must have been close by) and that looked out onto a flat roof and assorted backyard paraphernalia.(Room 22). So we asked to change. We were moved to Room 32, and the lady explained that it was the only room they had but there was no air conditioning. At that time, I did not realise the significance of the remark.
To be fair, the room looked very nice, and all the staff were lovely, but sleeping in that room was utterly impossible. It was very very warm and so the window had to be open. This was when we discovered that the air conditioning units for the rest of the hotel were under our window and were running 24/7. So it was both unbearably hot and extremely noisy. This meant no sleep for either of us (so much for a relaxing break..!!).
So my advice for any other guests is check your rooms out carefully when booking. I'm sure they have better rooms but we never saw them

Room Tip: Do not get either 22 or 32
1  Thank Janet T
Reviewed 30 July 2014

Just back from a few days in Grassmere staying at The Wordsworth for our second time. The first time was good, this time was amazing. Probably the cleanest hotel I've ever stayed in !. Lovely, friendly and professional staff. Nothing was too much trouble. Room was brilliant, beds soooo comfy, beautiful view, fabulous gardens. Can't wait to go back.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 July 2014

Me and my husband got married here on 11th July, it was a perfect setting and perfect weather. All the staff were amazing on the day and the day before. I was worried that something would go wrong as im sure some brides do, but everything was done to perfection. Catalin was amazing on the day and made us both feel at ease. Would recommend any day. Mr and Mrs Gallagher x

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 July 2014

This was our first trip to the Lake District and we were not disappointed.

Do not come to this hotel if you are expecting modern rooms, but to be honest if you want modern then the lakes is not the place for you.

The room we had was basic but big enough for what we wanted, included tv, kettle and an iron was added in after we asked for it.

The rest of the hotel was clean and well kept but and in keeping with the village it's set in.

The staff were superb, polite and helpful. Particular one member of staff who had recently started called Mark. It's nice to have a high standard of service but be able to have a perfectly down to earth conversation with staff.

The signature restaurant is a nice bit of posh for while you are away with good food and good service while the Bistro offers you a bit of home with one of the best burgers around on offer.

Would we come back? Yes!

In fact we are looking at booking are wedding here.

• Stayed: July 2014
Also consider these accommodations in or near Grasmere
The Inn at Grasmere
Macdonald Swan Hotel
Macdonald Swan Hotel
#9 of 14 in Grasmere
Ambleside Salutation Hotel, BW Premier Collection

Been to The Wordsworth Hotel? Share your experiences!