We stayed in this hotel from 28 7 14 to 31 7 14. This is an excellent hotel and the staff are courteous, conscientious and extremely hard working. The food is of a very high standard with a good choice. The room we stayed in (room 30) was very clean and had an extremely comfortable bed with a lovely view over Grasmere village albeit it was very hot and some areas of wallpaper were coming off the wall.
What totally spoiled the holiday for us was that at 10:30 on our last evening, while watching the national news, we received a telephone call from reception to advise that guests in the adjoining room had complained that the TV was loud. Although I do have a hearing problem my wife does tell me if the TV is too loud and she advised that the volume on the TV had been at a tolerant level.
I fully appreciate that the hotel has to investigate complaints like this vexatious or otherwise. I also appreciate that whether or not a TV set is too loud or not is subjective. However, it might have been helpful if a member of staff had gone to the landing and assessed for themselves if the TV was too loud in the first instance before contacting us. When I went down shortly afterwards to discuss my concerns with reception staff and they had indicated that they had not done this.
I do not expect at 10:30 to have to turn my TV off to accommodate the intolerances and petty mindedness of others. I am 59 and my wife is 62 and we are certainly not in the habit of having noisy parties etc.
If having the TV on at 10:30 is unacceptable, then perhaps the hotel needs to indicate this or invest in some better sound proofing for their rooms. Some hotels have polite signs requesting that guests consider others when moving about the hotel etc. which is usually after midnight. Indeed, the hotel caters for weddings so I wonder how staff would have dealt with a complaint about guest’s etc. making a noise and slamming doors etc.
We both felt like Pariahs after this incident and did think about leaving the hotel that evening. It seems that the staff were just taking the word of another person without making further investigations. Furthermore, there do not appear to be hearing loops for those who require hearing aids within the reception area?
Again to reiterate, I fully accept the fact the hotel has to investigate instances such as this to ensure that guests have a pleasant stay etc. but I do feel that they have been one sided in this and could have dealt with the situation better and more tactfully. It is a shame that an otherwise excellent stay has been marred by this and we would be reluctant because of this to return to the hotel again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Wordsworth Hotel and Spa provides an iconic destination nestling amongst the towering mountains of the English Lake District. Individually styled, comfortable bedrooms balance tradition with contemporary design with most offering stunning mountain or village views. The fine dining, air conditioned Signature Restaurant provides an award-winning menu whilst the more informal Dove Bistro showcases superb local ingredients cooked with flair and skill. For guests looking to truly pamper themselves the Lakeland Organic Spa (March 2015) offers guests a wide range of luxurious and natural treatments to ensure a fully relaxing stay. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Odigeo, TripOnline SA, Booking.com, Expedia, LateRooms, Cancelon, HotelsClick, Ebookers, 5viajes2012 S.L. and Evoline ltd so you can book your The Wordsworth Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Wordsworth Hotel Grasmere
- The Wordsworth Hotel Grasmere, Lake District