“Somewhat dissapointed after reading the good reviews on here...”

The Wordsworth Hotel
Ranked #9 of 14 Hotels in Grasmere
Harrogate, United Kingdom
“Somewhat dissapointed after reading the good reviews on here...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2010

We have just come back today after a sunny weekend in Grasmere and the Wordworth hotel and I have to say after reading all the 5* reviews on here was somewhat dissapointed. Firstly, the hotel is well situated right in the centre of Grasmere, but it's a quiet villiage so don't be too worried about road noise etc. The outside of the hotel is pleasing, with pretty grounds and nice gardens, likewise the reception area with it's roaring log fire and couteous staff. In fact the staff are the best thing about the hotel - they are very polite, friendly and courteous. Unfortunately this is where the poistives end.

I specifically requested a refurbished room at the rear of the hotel and had this confirmed by email before hand. The room we actually got (room 24) was overlooking the kitchen roof area which was about as uninspiring view as you could get. The room was very small and pokey and guests should note the "refurbish" is limited to carpets, curtains and bedding. The ensuite in particluar, although a good size, looked like it had wall tiles from 1950 along with the shower fittings etc. It was all cleaned to a good standard though.

The worst thing about the room though was the noise - I don't know what the walls are made from in this place but paper would do a better job of isolating the sound. It was so bad that you could hear guests in the next room going to the toilet which isn't very pleasent at all. Just hope they don't flush it as it sounds like the plumbing runs through the center of your headboard! Likewise any kind of movement or conversation is heard in detail. Not very restful at all. The heating in the room seemed to have a mind of it's own - cold all day but then the room seemed to mysteriously heat up about 1am - so much so that you had to open a window (which incidently did not close or lock securely). The open window gives your next rude awakening about 5am as it directly faces the exit of the main hotel carpark, closely followed by the noisy kitchen and hotel staff. Don't stay here if you are after a restful night after a hard day on the hills. At least not in room 24. Also, although the hotel has free WiFi, the signal was so low in our room it was completely unuseable.

We eventually rose with sore eyes about 8pm for a shower. I don't know if it's intentional but the water pressure in the hotel has to be seen to be believed. I mean you could literally fill the bath to the top with hot water in 45 seconds!!! Not really a negative though.

We emerged for breakfast in good time and were sat down in the dining conservatory which was very pleasent. It took a little longer than we would have liked to place our order with the mostly foriegn waiters and a whole lot longer for it to arrive. Almost 45 mins on our first day and well over half an hour on the 2nd. Strange thing was the breakfast area didn't even seem that busy. We booked the room through laterooms.com which did not include breakfast so I added this at the end at a cost of £12 p.p per day. At £48 total spend you could definitely get a better start to the day foodwise elsewhere. Eggs benedict turned out to be the best thing on the menu and it was reasonable quality. The full English on the other hand was very poor (wot no baked beans?) and definitely was not worth the money.

Once out of the hotel, Gramere is ideally located for loads of great walks. We did a 10 mile walk via Helm crag and thoroughly enjoyed it. On the first night we ate at Tweedies bar directly opposite the Wordsworth which was excellent and reasonably priced. The second night we ate at the much recommended Jumble room which was exceptional (but pricey). You will need to book to get in here but it is worth it for a special occasion.

We returned to the hotel and had a drink in one of the lovely lounges which have great atmosphere but it's not enough for me to recommend the Wordsworth overall. For a four star hotel it just doesn't cut it and there are definitely better places to stay in Grasmere for probably quite a lot less money.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (340)
flintshire wales
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2010

I took my wife for 2 nights at the Wordsworth 13-14 April for her birthday and could not have had a better time with good weather plus staying at the Wordsworth ,we had the first nights meal in the Bistro and the second in the main hotel dinning room both meals were excelent and well served ,this point as pointed out by many about the staff at this hotel make that extra enjoyment as you feel you are the main people staying there allthough you know every one is been treated the same ,brilliant and will return in future ,Barrie

Buckinghamshire, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2010

This was my first time at the Wordsworth, although my friends had stayed there before and told me about it. they did not prepare me well enouugh for the actual beautiful location, surounding and setting, it was picture poscard. The service in the hotel was exceptional, I could not fault the excellent food prepared and served like we were royalty. I was told that they were in the process of refurbishing. I don't know what it was like before, but it was very pleasing to me.The views around the hotel were breathtaking and made all the more beautful as the daffodils were in bloom. wish I could transport back there right now. would highly recommend especially for a special treat. Perfect for long walks nearby. Infact the only fault was, I had to leave and return home.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with friends
Newcastle
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2010

As frequent visitors over a number of years to the Lake District and having stayed in many hotels and B+Bs in this area we found this hotel to be the best so far. Thank you.

Belfast
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2010

I accompanied my wife on a short business trip to the Lake District and we stayed two nights. The hotel is in the centre of the village of Grasmere, possibly the most beautiful of the Lake District villages. On arrival at reception we were dealt with a very efficient and friendly receptionist, who also showed us to our room. The odd twists and turns of the corridors and stairs are evidence of the age of the structure and one of the things that attracted me to the building. The room was not large, but had all the facilities one could really need on a short stay. A large double bed dominated the room, there was plenty of storage space in a built-in wardrobe, dresser and bedside cabinets. A small flat-screen tv was located discreetly on a corner wall. The ensuite was a good size, immaculate and included a very powerful thermostatic shower that was strong enough to pull the soap out of my wife's unwary hand when she first used it! After a short stroll around the village revealed that few places were open (Sunday evening) we opted for the Signature Restaurant in the hotel: good choice! The meal was excellent, in fact the best I have had for years, served by courteous, attentive and yet not overbearing staff, headed by a very pleasant and engaging maitre d'. At the matire d's suggestion we had our after dinner tea in one of the beautiful... I suppose "lounges" is technically correct, but really does a complete injustice to three lovely reception rooms, not greatly changed from their original decor, I suspect, with high ceilings, attractive mouldings and very comfortable furnishings. The atmosphere is that of staying in the home of some fantastically wealthy friend who happens to have lots of other people staying at the same time. We went to bed in great spirits. The next morning I left my wife off at the first of her meetings, then after a pleasant (if wet) morning in Ambleside, returned to the hotel for the afternoon with a new book. I spent several happy hours reading in the warm and dry while the elements did their worst outside. I was approached by staff once, early on, but not again after having assured him I wanted for nothing and would know where to go should that change. We dined elsewhere that evening due to circumstances related to the business meetings, had a night at the cinema in Ambleside (a brilliant experience in itself) and returned just before 11 pm for a second night's great sleep in what had already come to feel like home away from home. We awoke the next morning well prepared for a rather circuitous trip home due to weather. All in all, a splendid experience and one we would both love to repeat soon.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
west yorkshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2010

we stayed at the wordsworth for two nights and had an excellent weekend excellent food, very friendly staff,efficient service in every way,our rooms were clean comfortable and nicely decorated. The whole weekend was perfect relaxing and calming thanks to everyone at the hotel we will definitely be back for another break.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank drakefamily
England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2010

We visited this hotel on a two night mid week break. We had dinner bed & breakfast both nights. The hotel is being refurbished, but this did not detract in any way from our stay. Our bedroom had been completely refurbished and was delightful, with a 6' bed! The size of the bed did make the room a little on the small side, but the room size was adequate. The staff were all friendly helpful and welcoming and the food was to die for! Nothing was too much trouble. We hope to visit again soon. It is an excellent country house hotel set in a beautiful Lakes village. I thoroughly recommend this hotel!

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank EnglandKathy21
Also consider these accommodations in or near Grasmere
The Daffodil Hotel & Spa
Oak Bank Hotel
Oak Bank Hotel
#3 of 14 in Grasmere
Applegarth Villa and Restaurant

Been to The Wordsworth Hotel? Share your experiences!