We stayed here very recently on one of their 'breaks' - three nights, this included breakfast and 'four course evening meal' . The hotel has been refurbished and taken over since we last stayed here. It's in a lovely location and looks very inviting from outside. The bedrooms are nicely decorated and the dining room overlooking the main road is extremely well done, BUT PLEASE BE AWARE IT IS THE STAFF WHO MAKE THIS HOTEL.
We were extremely disappointed in the way this hotel is now run. Despite paying £183 per night for our 'break' (for two) you have to ask for nearly everything - this really starts to grate.
Portions are most definitely nouvelle cuisine and the first night's meal was very poor in both content and preparation. Also the portion of smoked salmon on my husband's starter should have been described as canape not starter as it would have fitted on a dessert spoon. The cheese was stale to the point of crusty- oh there was more!. The Chefs special included in our deal amounted to two choices from each course of a separate menu, although the dining room manager advised us we could choose from the A la Carte when we didn't find either of the chefs special appetising . We were not charged for this so perhaps it would have been easier just to present one menu. On balance we were able to request a lunchtime item for dinner another night and things did gradually improve after our first night - the last night being an enjoyable meal.
Breakfast seems to be individually cooked to order, you will not be offered more of your choice to compensate for any items not ordered. One slice of toast each is supplied, more has to be requested. You are allowed to serve yourself with cereal, ham /cheese (no rolls) and stewed fruits . Croissants and bread rolls are not available for selection - ONE will be offered by a waiter (the rolls are lovely but minute). The breakfast offered by the previous owners remained in my memory for its variety, quality and generosity.
Toiletries were not replaced in our room on any day of our stay - despite being nearly empty. We had to ring down to Reception (no problem with replacements there), on each occasion and wait for these to be delivered to our room - on one occasion more than an hour as the message hadn't been passed on. The toiletries are Gilchrist and Soames, an expensive brand as we are aware - perhaps they should provide a cheaper range more generously? This is the first time we have ever encountered problems of this nature in any hotel we have stayed in.
People are paying through the teeth for what is not good value for money. The Lakes are an expensive area to visit generally and this hotel should fall in the Country House category, but that description conjurs up luxury and pampering. It's falling short on the pampering though I have no doubt all the rooms in time will be refurbished to a tasteful standard.
The rooms - and this is obviously an old building could do with soundproofing. My husband could hear our neighbours turning on their light switch - either side. The doors closing are deafening and the next door shower sounded as though it was in our room.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Wordsworth Hotel and Spa provides an iconic destination nestling amongst the towering mountains of the English Lake District. Individually styled, comfortable bedrooms balance tradition with contemporary design with most offering stunning mountain or village views. The fine dining, air conditioned Signature Restaurant provides an award-winning menu whilst the more informal Dove Bistro showcases superb local ingredients cooked with flair and skill. For guests looking to truly pamper themselves the Lakeland Organic Spa (March 2015) offers guests a wide range of luxurious and natural treatments to ensure a fully relaxing stay. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Odigeo, Hotels.com, Ebookers, TripOnline SA, LateRooms, Evoline ltd, Cancelon, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your The Wordsworth Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Wordsworth Hotel Grasmere
- The Wordsworth Hotel Grasmere, Lake District