“Poor experience at your café at lunchtime on Saturday 17th of May.”
Review of Miller Howe Cafe

Miller Howe Cafe
Ranked #2 of 3 Dessert in Grasmere
Price range: US$4 - US$12
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast
Description: The Miller Howe Cafe is a traditional cafe which celebrates the 'back to basics' approach. Having recently undergone refurbishment, the interior is a wonderfully relaxed environment where you can enjoy traditional, home-cooked fare. From the quiche of the day to an array of jacket potatoes or homemade cakes - there is something for everyone!
Carlisle, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Poor experience at your café at lunchtime on Saturday 17th of May.”
Reviewed 19 May 2014

As someone with coeliac disease, eating can be stressful, particularly when in a new place. I asked a member of your staff, a young man, to check whether your ice creams were gluten free. At first his response was “someone asked me that once, can’t remember what I told them though”. I then asked him if it was possible to go and find out from someone who would know, and he came back with an ice cream lid for me to read – however this did not have clear ingredients on it. He then said “why don’t you try a bit and see what happens?” As someone with coeliac disease, this is obviously absolutely out of the question, and his attitude was as though I was merely being fussy. I then said that I will go elsewhere, as he seemed unable to help. He followed me to the door and said “You should go to Greens over the road, they’re obsessed with that gluten stuff and vegan crap.” I have never been spoken to so rudely by a member of staff, his ignorance about my questions would not have been a problem, had he been professional enough to find a member of staff who could speak to me about it in an adult manner. I appreciate not all cafes interest themselves with gluten free options, but the difference between being gluten free as a choice and having coeliac disease is the difference between being able to eat or not.

I was absolutely disgusted, no customer should be made to feel as though their genuine questions were a point of ridicule. I will obviously not be returning, and I hope you can enlighten your staff as to allergens and the importance of their knowledge of them.

1 Thank Evieb1988
queensheadtroutbeck, Manager at Miller Howe Cafe, responded to this review, 24 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write your response. I am very sorry to hear of your upset. The lady in charge of the Miller Howe Cafe was on holiday when you visited on 17th May and your comments have subsequently been passed on to her so they can be addressed with the gentleman who served you.

I can assure you that the gentleman did not intend to be rude. He is a young lad, who unfortunately is naive enough not to realise the significance of other people's dietary requirements. He works at the cafe on a part-time basis to support him through his studies. I understand that he should have been more professional in his approach and this is something we are addressing with all members of staff to ensure there is a greater understanding of all allergies and their significance. I can only apologise that your questions were not dealt with in a more professional manner.

Lancashire
“Grasmere's little gem”
Reviewed 16 May 2014

We are never disappointed with anything we have had at Miller Howe , we have had everything from a big breakfast to salad , the food is always fresh and great value for money , the staff are friendly and the cafe is nice and clean , they also have wifi which is always a bonus . Great little place to recharge your batteries after a long walk :-)

• Visited May 2014
Thanks for the great review - it is lovely to hear how much you enjoy visiting us and recharging your batteries after taking in the breathtaking Lake District scenery!
Grasmere, United Kingdom
“Great place”
Reviewed 9 May 2014

Great little cafe with great food and service last Sunday someone monad about the lemon m pie we'll I had a peace of same said pie nothing wrong with it I find the some people just like to moan well that's my rant done back to the cafe .i could not fault this place friendly and 5 star service try getting that in one of the hotels remember this is a cafe selling cafe food not hotel stuff .jan Rachael lee and the lads do a great job so until the next time millers thanks for the food and service

• Visited May 2014
Thanks baggy4711 for your lovely review. Unfortunately, what you say is true that sometimes people just like to have a good moan - we can't please everyone! Great to hear how much you enjoyed your visit, I will pass on your thanks to all of the staff; I know it will be appreciated.
staffs
“nice lunch”
Reviewed 8 May 2014

this was our second visit, the last being on xmas eve. It was a nice lunch we both had different salads. The portions are very generous and the food is fresh. We had to wait quite a while this time, not too sure why but food worth the wait. The salad was lovely though I don't think that anywhere can beat the salads at two other cafes we use in the lakes.
Staff pleasant and environment ok
As we are dog owners it would be nice if the owner could consider allowing dogs as we would be unable to visit on a hot day as we would have to leave them in the car

• Visited April 2014
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Average”
Reviewed 29 April 2014

Staff were friendly and portions generous. Tea was good. Lemon meringue pie disappointingly jelly like, and bake well tart unremarkable. Nothing bad, just a bit disappointing compared to other places on this trip.

• Visited April 2014
queensheadtroutbeck, Manager at Miller Howe Cafe, responded to this review, 31 May 2014
We are sorry to hear you did not enjoy the cakes on your visit. If you had brought this to our attention at the time we would have been only too happy to change them for you. All of our cakes are homemade on site, and I will pass your comments on to the person who makes them daily.