“Poor service and expensive food”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Miller Howe Cafe

Miller Howe Cafe
Ranked #3 of 4 Dessert in Grasmere
Price range: US$4 - US$12
Cuisines: Cafe, British
Good for: Local cuisine, Kids, Cheap Eats, Child-friendly
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: The Miller Howe Cafe is a traditional cafe which celebrates the 'back to basics' approach. Having recently undergone refurbishment, the interior is a wonderfully relaxed environment where you can enjoy traditional, home-cooked fare. From the quiche of the day to an array of jacket potatoes or homemade cakes - there is something for everyone!
Gateshead, United Kingdom
“Poor service and expensive food”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014

The staff were arguing at the till while I was waiting to be served and eventually I had to ask if I could place my order.
We only had a light snack but found the food to be somewhat dull and not good quality (e.g.tea cake had hardly any fruit in it) and the tea was weak and not very hot. Food was put on the table without a word being spoken.
Sorry, we will avoid Miller Howe Café in future

• Visited July 2014
queensheadtroutbeck, Manager at Miller Howe Cafe, responded to this review, 6 December 2014
The teacake is actually the only thing which we don't make ourselves, we purchase them in. They are Irish teacakes and state that they are award-winning. Following your review, I will be monitoring the teacakes and checking the quality of them to ensure that they are up to the standard that they need to be. We chose to stop making them in-house as we couldn't keep up with the demand! Everything else on our menu, with the exception of the rolls used for sandwiches, is made by ourselves. We have also just changed the menu to ensure that all items are made fresh on a daily basis. Hopefully with this knowledge you might try us again.

Perth, Australia
“Creative fresh food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2014

I was delighted to find this cafe today. Took me a while to choose from the extensive menu but was very pleased with my choice. The baked potato came with lots of Coronation chicken and an excellent colourful salad. I also indulged in a piece of chocolate cake, which was delicious. Will definitely return next time I'm in Grasmere.

• Visited June 2014
Thanks for your great comments - I am so glad to learn how much you enjoyed your choice of food on your recent visit. We have also just changed the menu so next time you are back, you will have the difficult decision all over again!
Leeds, UK
“A vision of Lemonade satisfied”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2014

After a run up Helm Crag and back on a hot day I was dreaming of home-made old fashioned lemonade the whole time, I had luke warm water with me by the time I was half way up so imagine my delight when I saw just what I needed on the menu… The young chap who served me was very helpful and polite and the lemonade though a small glass (a bit over priced in my mind) was excellent and just want I had been dreaming of.

The food looked great, I only had a Malteser cake slice which was cracking but the toasties and sandwiches looked nice.

Visited June 2014
1 Thank Duderoo1975
Thank you, Dunderoo1975! After a good run, it sounds like you definitely deserved the homemade lemonade and malteaser cake which I am glad were everything you had been dreaming they would be!
stockport
“Excellent coffee”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

Having sampled so many really awful decaffeinated coffees in cafés, I have now discovered the Miller Howe.
Their coffee is simply the best for taste, is served with a generous amount of hot milk and is good value for money.

Visited May 2014
queensheadtroutbeck, Manager at Miller Howe Cafe, responded to this review, 31 May 2014
Thanks stellasimon - as someone who can't get through the day without several cups of coffee, I understand how important good coffee is! Glad to hear how much you enjoyed it, we use a local supplier who we believe produce the best coffee beans in the Lakes!
Carlisle, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Poor experience at your café at lunchtime on Saturday 17th of May.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2014

As someone with coeliac disease, eating can be stressful, particularly when in a new place. I asked a member of your staff, a young man, to check whether your ice creams were gluten free. At first his response was “someone asked me that once, can’t remember what I told them though”. I then asked him if it was possible to go and find out from someone who would know, and he came back with an ice cream lid for me to read – however this did not have clear ingredients on it. He then said “why don’t you try a bit and see what happens?” As someone with coeliac disease, this is obviously absolutely out of the question, and his attitude was as though I was merely being fussy. I then said that I will go elsewhere, as he seemed unable to help. He followed me to the door and said “You should go to Greens over the road, they’re obsessed with that gluten stuff and vegan crap.” I have never been spoken to so rudely by a member of staff, his ignorance about my questions would not have been a problem, had he been professional enough to find a member of staff who could speak to me about it in an adult manner. I appreciate not all cafes interest themselves with gluten free options, but the difference between being gluten free as a choice and having coeliac disease is the difference between being able to eat or not.

I was absolutely disgusted, no customer should be made to feel as though their genuine questions were a point of ridicule. I will obviously not be returning, and I hope you can enlighten your staff as to allergens and the importance of their knowledge of them.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank Evieb1988
queensheadtroutbeck, Manager at Miller Howe Cafe, responded to this review, 24 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write your response. I am very sorry to hear of your upset. The lady in charge of the Miller Howe Cafe was on holiday when you visited on 17th May and your comments have subsequently been passed on to her so they can be addressed with the gentleman who served you.

I can assure you that the gentleman did not intend to be rude. He is a young lad, who unfortunately is naive enough not to realise the significance of other people's dietary requirements. He works at the cafe on a part-time basis to support him through his studies. I understand that he should have been more professional in his approach and this is something we are addressing with all members of staff to ensure there is a greater understanding of all allergies and their significance. I can only apologise that your questions were not dealt with in a more professional manner.