We used to stay at the Gold Rill about 20 years ago each May when I believe Mr Jewsbury initially took over the hotel and it was always top notch and a real highlight.
My daughter took my wife and myself back there for a main birthday celebration in July this year and it was a real disappointment.
With its location the Gold Rill has so much going for it but now the place seems really tired.
I remember that Paul J used to come round after dinner and chat with his guests,but now there was no sign of the host - he could have been away I suppose.
The lowlight of our visit came when 2 members of our party ordered lamb shank and were served with an uneatable fatty,streaky mass. We were then browbeaten by a person I took to be the head waiter who couldn't believe that we had left the item,insisting "the chef had cooked it for hours".
Al in all a real disappointment and our memories shattered.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Grand At Grasmere is a stunning lake district country house hotel in Grasmere with a unique bar & restaurant. Ideally located within its own gardens between Grasmere lake & Grasmere village our cosy rooms feature stunning views over the surround fells or the lake. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with TripOnline SA and Booking.com so you can book your Grand at Grasmere reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gold Rill Country House Hotel Grasmere
- Gold Rill Country Hotel
- Gold Rill Country Grasmere
- Grand At Grasmere Lake District