“Old fashioned, but attentive and clean.”
Review of Grand at Grasmere

and 1 more site!
Grand at Grasmere
Ranked #3 of 14 Hotels in Grasmere
Reviewed 30 January 2012

My wife and I stayed in this hotel for 2 nights in January.

All in all, we had a great time. The hotel is very clean, and fairly freshly decorated. I thought it looked like it had been done in the style of the 1980's - but that's to say it looked new, but based on old styles!
Most of the other guests were 60 plus. That's neither a bad thing, nor the hotel's fault - in fact in many cases it ensures the place is clean and the staff attentive. However it did seem to be the root of the things, that at our age (33 and 35), we found odd or slightly annoying.
Breakfast was served between 8.30 and 9.30, with the guidance that you should try to sit at the table you were at the night before, and that they would give everyone the opportunity to sit at the window seats at some point.
Dinner was only 1930 to 2030, with a few rules, one of note being "Children are requested not to attend the dining room at night, for the comfort of other guests" We didn't take our children, and didn't intend to eat there, so it didn't really matter, but it sums up the hotel well. Most of the old chaps wore ties and jumpers, and the ladies were a riot of differing patterns and colours in their twinsets.. Again, not a critism, it just paints a picture.
Breakfast was tasty, and the service was good, if a bit slow. The dinner looked fine too, and, relative to other ridiculously priced Grasmere eateries, was good value.

The other clientel ranged from friendly and bubbly to cantakerous and grumpy. Again, not the hotels' fault. One morning an old couple sat down for breakfast, and looked like they were up for an arguement - they eventually found one by deciding that the sun was in their faces. Instead of turning their chairs round, they complained, and asked the waiter to shut the curtains. When the curtains were attempted to be shut, the couple on the table with the window view complained that they didn't want them shut! Causing yet more bother.
I expect these couples go to the hotel a lot, and some regard you with a hostile suspicion, as it's their terratory. We overheard many of them talking to their friends, saying things like "I've only seen HER 2 or 3 times here, and they've NEVER wanted to mingle" Like it's a crime.

However, this is all very negative for a hotel that I have, on balance, given 4 stars.
The actual hotel, if you look past the old fashioned quirks, has good facilities, is very clean, good value, with good staff. It's in an amazing position - we could see fields, the lake, and moutains. Grasmere is almost too beautiful for words, and the walks are stunning.
We had a great time, and all the above doesn't really bother me much. We found that we kept different hours to the usual clientel - when we were going for pre dinner drinks before leaving for the village, they'd be in afternnon naps or in the bath, so we could enjoy a quiet drink.

I'd recommend!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank PaulJM1976

Reviewed 8 December 2011

I stayed here some time ago and I found this hotel enchanting, the quality of the place was fantastic, the food was nothing short of excellent and if you like good walking and clean living then this place is a real find. My girlfriend and I were really pleased with our stay and the staff were very helpful, the hotel is ideal to get away from it all but also you have tea shops and things close by if you are out walking. I chose the Gold Rill because I like walking and views, this place gave us both in abundance.

Room Tip: Ask for a view over the lake and wake up about 7 am to see hundreds of rabbits playing.
  • Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank powerhousesteve
Reviewed 5 December 2011

best hotel we have stayed at in the Lakes. Excellent location, v good meals, attentive service, spacious and well presented room.

2  Thank 901steved
Reviewed 23 November 2011

I've stayed in a lot of top hotels through my work, and at the end of it all the thing that I hold most important is the manner in which you are treated. The Gold Rill and it's staff gave us a very warm welcome during our stay, and were always on hand when we needed them, but never intrusive.
I thought it was great that it was a stone's throw from the village, but tucked away in a prize location aside the lake itself. The photos do not do it justice of the landscaping views that you take in from the garden.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank ralph g
Reviewed 16 November 2011

We used to stay at the Gold Rill about 20 years ago each May when I believe Mr Jewsbury initially took over the hotel and it was always top notch and a real highlight.
My daughter took my wife and myself back there for a main birthday celebration in July this year and it was a real disappointment.
With its location the Gold Rill has so much going for it but now the place seems really tired.
I remember that Paul J used to come round after dinner and chat with his guests,but now there was no sign of the host - he could have been away I suppose.
The lowlight of our visit came when 2 members of our party ordered lamb shank and were served with an uneatable fatty,streaky mass. We were then browbeaten by a person I took to be the head waiter who couldn't believe that we had left the item,insisting "the chef had cooked it for hours".
Al in all a real disappointment and our memories shattered.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank mal998
Reviewed 14 November 2011

I don't normally write reviews on hotels and restaurants however after staying at The Gold Rill I felt I had to share how exceptional our stay was.

My wife and I stayed 2 nights in November to celebrate our 3rd wedding anniversary. The hotel is in a perfect location (close to the village as well as exclusively close to the lake which was what attracted us). Our room overlooked the garden and surrounding fells and was really lovely. The bed was massive and the room was immaculate.

The service was great and the staff were very friendly. They all seemed to know it was our anniversary. We ate in the hotel on both nights and the dinner was exceptional..... so was the breakfast.

Great value for money, I would highly recommend the hotel.

5  Thank Karl S
Reviewed 9 November 2011

We’ve just returned from our 3rd stay this year at the Gold Rill. It’s the perfect location for easy walking and is very close to the village, yet in a quiet location. The food was excellent, our compliments to the kitchen staff. We wouldn’t consider staying anywhere else when we visit the Lake District.

Room Tip: Try and get a garden view room.
3  Thank Chris P