“The best hotel we have stayed in at Grasmere” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Grasmere Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Grasmere
Grasmere Hotel
Ranked #1 of 14 Hotels in Grasmere
“The best hotel we have stayed in at Grasmere”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2012

From the moment we walked into the hotel, we had nothing but excellent service. We were greeted by the owner who introduced himself and we were shown to our room. The room was of a high standard and very comfortable. Breakfast was the best we have had, with a wide selection of fruits,cereals, etc and a well presented cooked breakfast, toast and coffee/tea. I would thoroughly recommend anyone to stay in this hotel.

• Stayed April 2012
4 Thank angibec

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (232)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Cheshire UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2012

We have been coming to the Lakes 30 years and this is the best hotel we’ve stayed at. Rob is an outstanding host. Anton’s food is truly exceptional (he’s ex Miller Howe and you sure can tell). The staff are really dedicated – nothing is too much trouble. My daughter has some food allergies and they went to a lot of trouble to ensure she had lovely food without anything she would react to. The rooms are immaculately clean and well furnished. I would highly recommend staying here on a dinner, break and breakfast – it’s tremendous value. The owners only took over in December 2011 – at this rate it’s going to become one of the very best places to stay in The Lake District.

Room Tip: There are some rooms on the ground floor if you have difficulty climbing stairs.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank ToneChesh
RobvanderPalen, Owner at Grasmere Hotel, responded to this review, 11 May 2012
Thank you very much for your very kind review. And thank you for mentioning our staff. We could not run the hotel without their support and dedication.
Cranbrook, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2012

This beautiful small hotel was definitely a step up from other places we stayed at in the Lake District. When I asked for a twin room for me and my teenaged son, I was told that there was only a small twin room available. The room wasn't large, but it was very comfortable and a great value at the price we were charged. I noticed lots of little things: from large, thick bath towels to tasteful decor everywhere you look to large, a large, comfortable lounge. Of course, being right in Grasmere, the hotel is well situated for many hill walks starting right from the front door. We had supper as well as breakfast at the hotel and both were superb. The only complaint I can think of is a minor one - there was a little bit of noise audible from the bathroom upstairs. But overall I rate this hotel as excellent, and this would be my first choice for a place to stay on my next visit.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank MtSwansea
RobvanderPalen, Owner at Grasmere Hotel, responded to this review, 11 May 2012
We are very pleased with your comments. At the end of this season the smaller rooms will be joint together to create fewer but larger rooms.
Horley
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2012

As Grasmere is our favourite place in the Lakes, we have stayed there many times, but never at this hotel. What luck it was that we could not get a booking for 7 nights at any other Grasmere hotel. The hotel has four major assets: its location, its owners, its staff and its food.

My wife and I are rather awkward customers as we follow a vegan diet, so it was a relief when my wife was told on the phone that "It's not a problem". Little did we know that we would be enjoying a week of gourmet vegan cooking. Believe me, making vegan food look and taste delicious is no mean feat. All the guests we spoke to had nothing but praise for the food.

The hotel is ideally located if you like walking as you can leave the car in the car park during your stay and step outside and just start walking - Helm Crag, Silver Howe, Grasmere Lakeshore, Loughrigg Fell, Easdale Tarn, Great Langdale, Elterwater, Rydal Fell are all within easy reach. One of our favourite walks is along Loughrigg Terrace, past Rydal water on to Ambleside for lunch then a the lazy walk back to Grasmere by bus!. The river Rothay runs along at the bottom of the garden. It is a typical handsome Victorian slate-stone building with lots of character and a roomy lounge tastefully furnished with what looks like brand new sofas and armchairs. The owners encourage all guests to come to the lounge about half an hour before dinner for canapes (and pre-dinner drinks if you wish) and to peruse the menu. It is a nice touch and a lovely way to meet and talk to other guests.

Due to a combination of too much sun (yes, sun!) and a cold wind on the hills I fell ill on the 6th night. My wife was quite worried as I was quite poorly, but Rob could not have been more helpful or supportive to her. Fortunately, I recovered quickly within about 32 hours and was able to drive home on check-out day.

I was a little puzzled with the few adverse comments below, but looking at the dates, I think they were made before the present owners took over the hotel. Try a stay for a few nights. You will love the way you will be made to feel like their personal guests, not customers. You can even leave your wet walking shoes and socks on trays at the outer porch and they will be taken to a drying room.

Room Tip: The room at the back of the hotel overlook the garden and river.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Richard N
RobvanderPalen, Owner at Grasmere Hotel, responded to this review, 11 May 2012
Thank you very much for this lovely review. Anton does his utmost to cook for all diets. If he knows in advance he has enough time to prepare for them. We took over the Grasmere Hotel in December 2011 and since then we have refurbished the lounge, the restaurant and some rooms. Further refurbishment is planned for the end of this season.
Cheshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2012

We looked at the reviews on trip advisor before we went. We would just like to add to the list of excellent comments. We had a great night's stay. Rob and Anton are the perfect hosts. Nothing was too much trouble and made us feel extremely welcome. We will definately be back. Jake says a big thank you too for making his first night away in a hotel so comfortable!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Joanne063
Ilkley
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2012

Rob and Anton have really put their stamp on, what we already thought was our favourite hotel in Grasmere. Everything was first class from the welcome to the room to the food. The whole staff were helpful and friendly. A most enjoyable stay and we will definitely return. First class.

Room Tip: All rooms are good, but a bonus is overlooking the garden and river.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank John S
Bolton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2012

Stayed at the hotel for one night to take my mum away for her birthday. She's VERY fussy re food as she used to be a chef but absolutely loved it! The goats cheese starter was out of this world and the hake with saffron sauce was delicious! Would definitiely recommend to others and will probably return with my husband. Grasmere as a location for the hotel was beautiful.

Room Tip: Our room was on the ground floor which was ideal for my mum but if I went with my husband I would pr...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank sue w
Also consider these accommodations in or near Grasmere
The Daffodil Hotel & Spa
#7 of 14 in Grasmere
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,363 reviews
Cedar Manor Hotel and Restaurant
Applegarth Villa and Restaurant

Been to Grasmere Hotel? Share your experiences!